Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would be in the wrong?

• 12-07-2019 9:46pm

Just back from some late shopping in Lidl .

I was driving out of Lidl onto the main road . I was stopped and indicating a right turn. A white car was driving slowly towards me indicating left as though he was turning into Lidl (there’s no other left turn on that road for a mile ).
    I was just about to pull out when he drove straight past me , he didn’t turn at all !
    I noticed he has L plate on rear window as he went past,he mustn’t have realized he was indicating!
    Thank God I didn’t pull out , it was close. :eek:
    Would I have been in the wrong if he hit me , I’m guessing I would have been ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

You. Never trust an indicator. You would have been the one hitting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

You would have been at fault unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Just back from some late shopping in Lidl .

I was driving out of Lidl onto the main road . I was stopped and indicating a right turn. A white car was driving slowly towards me indicating left as though he was turning into Lidl (there’s no other left turn on that road for a mile ).
    I was just about to pull out when he drove straight past me , he didn’t turn at all !
    I noticed he has L plate on rear window as he went past,he mustn’t have realized he was indicating!
    Thank God I didn’t pull out , it was close. :eek:
    Would I have been in the wrong if he hit me , I’m guessing I would have been ?

Pretty much, only thing an indicator proves is that a bulb is working. You might have gotten down to a 50:50 agreement but he could just as easily have been indicating to pull into the kerb just after you to pick up or drop of someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The indicator doesn't tell you when they are going to turn. It could have been on much earlier and they were oblivious to it. If they are close, always wait to see what they do. Dont expect anything of other drivers on the road.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Pretty much, only thing an indicator proves is that a bulb is working. You might have gotten down to a 50:50 agreement but he could just as easily have been indicating to pull into the kerb just after you to pick up or drop of someone.

Honestly don’t know what stopped me, but thank God I didn’t pull out , i must have a guardian angel !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

An indicator is only a sign of intending on turning. In this case you would be at fault. Thankfully you were cautious and weren't injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

One of the first things my instructor said to me when I was learning to drive was to never trust an Indicator and wait till you see the car staring to make the turn ..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

I did the truck test earlier this year and when doing lessons the instructor said to me the only thing an indicator flashing shows is that the bulb is working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ye - this is normally one of the first things covered driving lessons??

Never trust an indicator alone, wait to see the turn start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

An indicator is only a possible intent to turn. Pulling out into on coming traffic and failing to give way will always be the fault of the person doing it. Its an easy mistake to make and thankfully no one was hurt and you are now a much wiser driver.....

Thanks for sharing and if only one person takes something away from this then great.

• Advertisement

Very similar thing happened to me with a motorcyclist. I did drive out and thankfully the motorcyclist swerved around me.
    Got an awful fright. I was so confused for a few seconds before I realized what had happened.

Never trust an indicator indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Same thing happened to me, not for the first time, at a roundabout last weekend.

Big roundabout with a few exits. Audi coming around started to indicate to leave the rounabout at the exit about 25 yards to my right. Never left of course and continued to plough around the roundabout through two more exits before eventually leaving. I never trust indicators.

You would be 100% in the wrong in your example. Even if someone behind him saw the indicator and offered to be a witness, the driver could say he intended to pull in just after the Lidl entrance, game over.

As a clearer example, if I indicate left in a housing estate, where am I turning, into a driveway or at the next junction \ turn or just pulling over to the side of the road?

Roundabouts are a nightmare alright and I never trust indicators on them ! It’s a free for all and most of people enter and exit them very fast . I just wait till all is clear.

I live in a big development with 2 exits onto a very busy road. It’s difficult getting out at times and I’ve often seen people indicating on the main road as though they’re turning in .....but driving straight on by! So maybe that experience stood to me at Lidl last night. But L driver nearly fooled me as he was driving so slowly plus indicating at the same time.

Every time I have a close call as a driver it’s stored in some memory bank in my head ......thank God !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you have to get a feel for what I call car body language and you don't pull out until it tells you they are definitely turning.

An Indicator just gives an indication.

Your driving skills are getting very good when you didn't pull out and didn't trust the Indicator. Congratulate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

freddieot wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, not for the first time, at a roundabout last weekend.

Big roundabout with a few exits. Audi coming around started to indicate.......

Red flag right there.

Advertisement