Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White car decontamination

• 29-05-2019 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey guys, recently bought a white car and I'm looking for advice on tar and tree sap. I've already clambered the whole car but theres still a lot of small tar and really stubborn tree sap left. No matter what pressure I put on the claybar it was really hard work to get everything off. Any advice to make my job easier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

E46Dream wrote: »
    Hey guys, recently bought a white car and I'm looking for advice on tar and tree sap. I've already clambered the whole car but theres still a lot of small tar and really stubborn tree sap left. No matter what pressure I put on the claybar it was really hard work to get everything off. Any advice to make my job

De tar and de iron before you clay the car will make claying a lot easier and safer. Digging in the clay bar in to the paint is not a good idea as it can mark it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

I picked up some tar and glue remover from Autochem so going to give that a go today and also their fallout remover.

Next step will be polishing and protecting the paint. I have meguiars ultimate wax so hopefully that does the job!

Also I have Auto Finesse tripple which basically says it cleans polishes and protects, would it be possible to add meguiars wax over this to add extra protection?

I picked up some tar and glue remover from Autochem so going to give that a go today and also their fallout remover.

Next step will be polishing and protecting the paint. I have meguiars ultimate wax so hopefully that does the job!

Also I have Auto Finesse tripple which basically says it cleans polishes and protects, would it be possible to add meguiars wax over this to add extra protection?

I think the af tripple has wax in it so dont think there would be any need to put more over it. I suppose you could but not sure how compatible they would be. Also if the tripple has wax in it its probably carnuba whereas the ultimate wax is more of a sealant as it has no carnuba in it. You would normally put a sealant on first and then a wax on top.

deisedav wrote: »
    I think the af tripple has wax in it so dont think there would be any need to put more over it. I suppose you could but not sure how compatible they would be. Also if the tripple has wax in it its probably carnuba whereas the ultimate wax is more of a sealant as it has no carnuba in it. You would normally put a sealant on first and then a wax on top.

Ah ok I've just finished tripple on int and it looks fantastic so I'm happy to leave it at that. I can always put meguiars wax on in a months time or so.

Ah ok I've just finished tripple on int and it looks fantastic so I'm happy to leave it at that. I can always put meguiars wax on in a months time or so.
    Thats it. Did you put the tripple on by hand or machine. Lash up a pic if you can.

• Advertisement

I applied it by hand! Could probably do with a good machine polish but considering I don't even have the car a week yet, that will all come in the future!

I applied it by hand! Could probably do with a good machine polish but considering I don't even have the car a week yet, that will all come in the future!

Fair play, that looks great, nice gloss. Dont have the time for machine polishing myself. There are great products out there for hand application that mask swirls etc. Bilt hamber cleanser polish is one i use, works great on our black car. You need something like that as black paint is a nightmare. Good work

Fair play, that looks great, nice gloss. Dont have the time for machine polishing myself. There are great products out there for hand application that mask swirls etc. Bilt hamber cleanser polish is one i use, works great on our black car. You need something like that as black paint is a nightmare. Good work

I know all about black cars Haha the one behind it is my old car. Absolute nightmare to keep swirls away, white is more forgiving.

I know all about black cars Haha the one behind it is my old car. Absolute nightmare to keep swirls away, white is more forgiving.
    Never had a white car but i like the colour. My silver car is a lot more forgiving. I can honestly say ill never buy black again, it breaks your heart. Washed it last week and the next day its filthy again. Nice car by the way.well wear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Looks great,
    I would put a coat of wax over it while it looks good.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Looks great,
    I would put a coat of wax over it while it looks good.

I don't really have a wax other than the Meguiars Ultimate Wax which is a sealant?

Another thing that's annoying me is the exhaust tips I have meguiars metal cleaner but it doesn't seem to remove all the contamination on the tips. Here's a pic to see, what would be the best to get them back new if possible?

Here's a better pic

I don't really have a wax other than the Meguiars Ultimate Wax which is a sealant?

Another thing that's annoying me is the exhaust tips I have meguiars metal cleaner but it doesn't seem to remove all the contamination on the tips. Here's a pic to see, what would be the best to get them back new if possible?

Is THIS the Megs wax you have?
    If so, then a coat of that would seal it up for you.

As for the tips,
    I never had to do any to be honest, but as far as I am aware some members use some 0000 steel wool and some autosol to clean them up.

Is THIS the Megs wax you have?
    If so, then a coat of that would seal it up for you.

As for the tips,
    I never had to do any to be honest, but as far as I am aware some members use some 0000 steel wool and some autosol to clean them up.

Yeah that's the wax.

So it rained last night and I'm wondering would it be safe to dry the car and apply the meguiars sealant? Or maybe dry the car then use quick detailed and then apply sealant.

The car hasn't been moved since I cleaned it yesterday.

So it rained last night and I'm wondering would it be safe to dry the car and apply the meguiars sealant? Or maybe dry the car then use quick detailed and then apply sealant.

The car hasn't been moved since I cleaned it yesterday.

I would give it a quick snowfoam , rinse and dry to make sure there is no dust left on the surface. Wouldn't use the quick detailer at all, id say the sealant would struggle to bond with it

As above,
    Give it a quick wash first,

Ah right thanks. I had to drive it anyway so I might wash it again tomorrow and wax it then!

Ah right thanks. I had to drive it anyway so I might wash it again tomorrow and wax it then!

If you want to put a durable product on it and enjoy waxing, Get yourself a tin of Soft99 Fusso. ( Autopia have a vat free sale this weekend )

If you want to put a durable product on it and enjoy waxing, Get yourself a tin of Soft99 Fusso. ( Autopia have a vat free sale this weekend )

I've never tried that stuff before but have seen it around. Hopefully get some soon and try it out!

What would be the best way to clean my engine bay and give it a super clean look. I already took off the engine bay main cover and cleaned it up and it looks brand new but everything else could do with a scrub especially the white bodywork parts in the engine bay. If possible I'd like to do it without having to use a power washer. It's not heavily dirty just light stuff dust, leaves etc

• Advertisement

I've never tried that stuff before but have seen it around. Hopefully get some soon and try it out!

What would be the best way to clean my engine bay and give it a super clean look. I already took off the engine bay main cover and cleaned it up and it looks brand new but everything else could do with a scrub especially the white bodywork parts in the engine bay. If possible I'd like to do it without having to use a power washer. It's not heavily dirty just light stuff dust, leaves etc

Surfex HD diluted
    spray on, detailing brush, rinse with an open end hose.

Well how did the car turn out

Well how did the car turn out

Never got round to applying the sealant but If weathers good tomorrow I will!

What's the best car shampoo that foams up well? I currently have meguiars wash and wax the yellow one but I prefer the one I had beforehand which was Chemical Guys Glossworks. Thinking about getting MrPink from Chemical guys next.

Never got round to applying the sealant but If weathers good tomorrow I will!

What's the best car shampoo that foams up well? I currently have meguiars wash and wax the yellow one but I prefer the one I had beforehand which was Chemical Guys Glossworks. Thinking about getting MrPink from Chemical guys next.

Mr. Pink was one of my favourites.
    Again, ( And I stress I have nothing to do with Autopia :) )
    If you do buy Fusso from Autopia, Have a look at this, >> Insta Finish Shampoo
    @ €20 for a US gallon it is great value,
    "apparently" made in the same place as Mr Pink, and guess what?
    It is the same stuff "apparently"
    I use it and can see zero difference.

Mr. Pink was one of my favourites.
    Again, ( And I stress I have nothing to do with Autopia :) )
    If you do buy Fusso from Autopia, Have a look at this, >> Insta Finish Shampoo
    @ €20 for a US gallon it is great value,
    "apparently" made in the same place as Mr Pink, and guess what?
    It is the same stuff "apparently"
    I use it and can see zero difference.

Autopia, sponsor this man!

So I had a look on their site and they have some nice selection, even their chemical guys mr pink is cheaper than elsewhere. That shampoo you linked is the very same as mr pink? I like my shampoo to foam up really well feels like it does a better job. I might have to place an order Monday Morning!

Another question, wheres the best places to buy detailing brushes, ones for cleaning wheels, around delicate badges, interior vents etc

Oh yeah vectra is on the payroll for sure. Haven't ordered from autopia for a while now as my last 2 orders i was sent the wrong item, the latter of which after a month i had to get a refund as the problem couldn't be solved. I have a lot of cheap detailing brushes which are ok for certain applications but the detailing factory brushes are really good. You can tell from how soft they are they wont damage the paint. In fairness to vectra if he says that shampoo is good id tend believe him as any product he has recommended to me in the past has been top notch. I use bilt hamber auto wash myself most of the time as its just a pure shampoo with no waxes, bull**** etc ,its low on suds but just gets the job done.

Oh yeah vectra is on the payroll for sure. Haven't ordered from autopia for a while now as my last 2 orders i was sent the wrong item, the latter of which after a month i had to get a refund as the problem couldn't be solved. I have a lot of cheap detailing brushes which are ok for certain applications but the detailing factory brushes are really good. You can tell from how soft they are they wont damage the paint. In fairness to vectra if he says that shampoo is good id tend believe him as any product he has recommended to me in the past has been top notch. I use bilt hamber auto wash myself most of the time as its just a pure shampoo with no waxes, bull**** etc ,its low on suds but just gets the job done.

Indeed I had an order wrong as well from them,
    It was a tin of Kiwami light I ordered, but it was Kiwami white was sent in error,
    The Light should be in a silver tin,
    The white one has more abrasives in it so treat it as a cleansing polish.
    Once I pointed it out to them the sent me the proper one and told me to keep the white one as well.

As for the Mr. Pink,
    I asked them about this and they explained it is made in the same factory but bottled for different companies,
    I took a chance and have no regrets.
    To me it is identical to Mr.Pink.

If you are ordering there, I don't see much point in shopping elsewhere for brushes etc.
    some nice ones on page 2.
    https://www.autopia.ie/product-category/brushes/

Indeed I had an order wrong as well from them,
    It was a tin of Kiwami light I ordered, but it was Kiwami white was sent in error,
    The Light should be in a silver tin,
    The white one has more abrasives in it so treat it as a cleansing polish.
    Once I pointed it out to them the sent me the proper one and told me to keep the white one as well.

As for the Mr. Pink,
    I asked them about this and they explained it is made in the same factory but bottled for different companies,
    I took a chance and have no regrets.
    To me it is identical to Mr.Pink.

If you are ordering there, I don't see much point in shopping elsewhere for brushes etc.
    some nice ones on page 2.
    https://www.autopia.ie/product-category/brushes/

How do you find the kiwami stuff vectra, do you put it on top of the 12 month fusso.

How do you find the kiwami stuff vectra, do you put it on top of the 12 month fusso.

Hi,
    I actually replied wrong there.
    He didn't have Kiwami extreme in stock so I got a tin of Water block instead,
    You think Fusso has mad water behavior,
    Try this on top :D

I since have bought a tin of Kiwami extreme gloss for my next car so didn't use it yet.
    will post up when I do though.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I actually replied wrong there.
    He didn't have Kiwami extreme in stock so I got a tin of Water block instead,
    You think Fusso has mad water behavior,
    Try this on top :D

I since have bought a tin of Kiwami extreme gloss for my next car so didn't use it yet.
    will post up when I do though.

Hard to believe you could get better water behaviour then fusso, i put a coat on about 6 months ago and while the beading etc was crazy i wasnt overly happy with the finish it gave on silver, it looked a bit glassy. About a week later i put on some bilthamber double speed wax and was much happier with the results, a warmer finish although the beading wasnt as good it was still decent. Still beading well today about 6 months on. Very durable that double speed stuff

Advertisement