Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭grinder23

Anyone know this flower

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

grinder23 wrote: »
    Anyone know this flower

pansy, my wife says 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This plant came in a pot along with a hellebore. Hellebore is doing well, this plant is doing very well. Kind of attractive, doesn't *seem* like its a weed but...

IMG-20200718-123926.jpg

IMG-20200718-123931.jpg

IMG-20200718-123935.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hmmm. Some sort of begonia, perhaps? Whatever it is, if you like it it's not a weed. :)

If it is a begonia, though, it's not a hardy plant and won't survive the frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Igotadose wrote: »
    This plant came in a pot along with a hellebore. Hellebore is doing well, this plant is doing very well. Kind of attractive, doesn't *seem* like its a weed but...

IMG-20200718-123935.jpg

Be very careful! Check that you don't have Himalayan Balsam!

Check here http://invasivespecies.ie/invasive-plants-japanese-knotweed/himalayan-balsam/ .

Your specimin looks a bit scrappy and the picture isn't ideal but first thing I though when I saw it was Impatiens glandulifera, Himalayan Balsam. If so get rid of it before it sets any seed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Be very careful! Check that you don't have Himalayan Balsam!

Check here http://invasivespecies.ie/invasive-plants-japanese-knotweed/himalayan-balsam/ .

Your specimin looks a bit scrappy and the picture isn't ideal but first thing I though when I saw it was Impatiens glandulifera, Himalayan Balsam. If so get rid of it before it sets any seed.

:(:(:(:(

Sigh. Yes, that was it. It's gone now. Thank you for the information! I don't think it had quite gone to seed yet - it's been such a cold spring/summer here that a lot of things are behind. Hopefully it doesn't start popping up everywhere.

Igotadose wrote: »
    :(:(:(:(

Sigh. Yes, that was it. It's gone now. Thank you for the information! I don't think it had quite gone to seed yet - it's been such a cold spring/summer here that a lot of things are behind. Hopefully it doesn't start popping up everywhere.

In a garden its very easy to get on top of it if it does go to seed. The seedlings are very obvious and easily hoed off. The problem comes in damp areas where there is no control then they go mad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

This plant is ubiquitous, it grows in every verge of every road around here. Is it an astilbe? It looks like it to me, but the flowers aren't "cone-y" enough to me. Any ideas?The stalks are rather woody and sturdy.

521237.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Meadowsweet I think. I have a cultivated pink version of it - beautiful flowers.

Meadowsweet - makes a cordial and is the bases of a decent home made wine and even a champagne.

• Advertisement

Thank you. :)

Must see if I can find a way of lifting a plant from where it won't be missed.

New Home wrote: »
    Thank you. :)

Must see if I can find a way of lifting a plant from where it won't be missed.

It grows easily from seed and likes to be on the damp side rather than dry. Often get large amounts if it along the edges of the flood plain of a river.

Great stuff, I'll wait for the seeds, in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

lottpaul wrote: »
    Meadowsweet I think. I have a cultivated pink version of it - beautiful flowers.

I was wondering what that was I saw loads of it in the west. Thought it was an astilbe the went wild like many other plants in the west.

I think I'll try and get my hands on one of each! :D

I was wondering what that was I saw loads of it in the west. Thought it was an astilbe the went wild like many other plants in the west.

It does look like one, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Anyone able to identify the leaves on the attached photo? The stems and back of the leaves have short hairs like that on a nettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

rliston wrote: »
    Anyone able to identify the leaves on the attached photo? The stems and back of the leaves have short hairs like that on a nettle.

Looks like courgette leaves to me. There also looks like there are some flower buds forming so these might be a further clue to what they are when they open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Could be butternut squash or pumpkin either. Wait and see and you will be rewarded with a crop of something edible.

The flowers will certainly give you a good clue. I would advise thinning them down to one or two plants when identified so they thrive.

• Advertisement

Could it be melon (reticulated, honeydew, that kind of thing, not watermelon, though)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ando2891

Can anyone tell me what it is? It’s growing locally and seems quite invasive! Has probably doubled in size every year, dies back completely in the winter. Many thanks!

Can anyone tell me what it is? Its growing locally and seems quite invasive! Has probably doubled in size every year, dies back completely in the winter. Many thanks!

Some type of balsam, not Himalayan, though, I don't think..

ando2891 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what it is? Its growing locally and seems quite invasive! Has probably doubled in size every year, dies back completely in the winter. Many thanks!

leycesteria purple rain I would say

leycesteria purple rain I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

I agree with leycesteria. It's also called pheasant berry. Spreading in my garden as well but the flowers seem popular with the bees and the fruit is said to be good for the birds so I'm letting it grow.
    Happy gardening.

• Advertisement

:) See above. ^^^

Advertisement