Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Pictures Discussion

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Ok so recently (more specifically over the last few days) it has been noted that quite a lot of pictures are being posted in report threads which are usually just for text reports.

Personally I think that pictures add greatly to the reports especially if they are taken and uploaded as an event is developing. However, at the same time people don't want to get bogged down in photos when trying to get an update on the situation.

Obviously people who upload their photos want them to be seen and at the moment posting them straight into the report thread is probably the best way to do that as it will probably get the most traffic. That is why i'm opening up this poll/discussion. Do you regularly frequent the weather pictures forum or have any ideas for it? Do you think the weather pictures forum is doing its job or should we revert back to the old system of having one single thread in the main forum for pictures?

I myself think photos are an important part of reporting the weather but that maybe they should be limited to one photo per post and must be small low-res pictures if posted in a report thread. There are a lot of great photographers on this forum and I'd like to be able to help you get your pictures viewed by as many people as possible so If you have any ideas or opinions on it just let us know in this thread!

How do you think weather pictures should be posted 10 votes

In the weather pictures forum
    0% 0 votes
    In a single thread on the main weather forum
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I don't see any problem with how its set up at the moment really, most photos are already posted in the pictures forum but during live events a photo does a lot more than a one line post in describing what's happening. There's some great pics in the pictures forum that would otherwise be lost once a new page starts in an events thread as well

Maybe create a general convection/thunderstorms thread in the pictures forum like the snow ones during the Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The current setup seems fine to me, relevant pictures very much add to the event threads. I just think that maybe some guidelines need to be in place for posting pictures outside the pictures forum because there more than likely will be cases of people just doing a fullscale picture dump if they think they can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There was a reason why the sub forum was created and I believe this reason still exists.

The pics are great and the more the merrier, but the reports threads need to be free of them
    It is an absolute pain to to have to wait for photos to upload and scroll through when trying to read through the text and they end up getting lost when we move on from the thread.

Certainly the proposal to have a single thread would help keep photos out of text threads, but there are events that need their own threads such as snowfalls or funnel clouds etc.

Perhaps the middle ground is to have both. A single or couple photos that don't really warrant their own thread go into catch all pic thread but the sub forum remains as a kind of archive for specific events that do warrant a specific pic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

I think the current set up is fine. Perhaps, as has been mentioned, limiting the number of photos for each post, and no photos without some kind of text or explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

How about a current conditions pictures thread, alongside the current conditions reports thread, that way any pics would be well...current and everyone would know where to go for them. Any pics that are not current could still be posted in the pics forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I think its fine as it is . But i do agree about the size and number of photos could be limited . if only boards had the same system as net weather wer photos are posted as icons originally then open up into the full picture . This gets rid of the hassle of having to take ages loading anything on phones.

I agree with Harps... a picture is basically a report and helps give people information quickly rather than having to find it elsewhere later on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Trogdor wrote: »

I myself think photos are an important part of reporting the weather but that maybe they should be limited to one photo per post and must be small low-res pictures if posted in a report thread.

As a frequent photo poster I'd agree with that.

Photos should be part of a report rather than an exhibition (which can be fantastic, but on a photo thread). [I'm as guilty as anyone of stuffing threads with too many pics :o]

But, deffo, we should allow one pic per post. But not dominate threads with pics.

Hmmm....

This poll seems to exclude my option :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

I think a link to the photo in the thread could be used. .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

ya dont need to worry about me puttin up pictures. I cant seem to get them to go up in my post how do you make them appear either as a link or a picture under your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The poll options should have a "leave as it is" option as a 3rd choice.

Some issues that can arise:-

Some can post too many pictures in a single post.

Some quote and end up repeating the pictures again.

Posting pictures that are too large ( too many pixels ).
    Somehow I think that boards used to allow you size pictures
    before posting but that facility is not there any more. I could be thinking
    of another forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Personally I think a picture speaks a thousand words and adds a lot to threads but also agree there should be some sort of middle ground .

My proposal would be that you are allowed to upload as many pics as you like in a thread but only embed one per post .

This way if people want to view the extra pics they have to click on them and it helps out the folks with the slower web connections waiting an age on photos to load up.

If folks want to embed all there pics there could do so on the picture sub forum and provide a link in there post .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I agree, just provide the link to numerous pics. I like having real time event images in a report thread. I don't feel images will be lost as the thread is archived anyway with pics along with description of experience to enhance the weather event s realism. That's all I'm saying on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not sure if any help but Photobucket allows you to post clickable thumbnails to larger images in ones account.

th_DSC02943.jpg

Only problem is it also links into your account so best if you have an account to upload weather pics only but handy all the same if you have multiple photos to show.

I would vote for "leave it as it is". We could politely ask that there be only one pic per post (max) - but no need to be too prescriptive.

(I also like pistolpete's suggestion)

Only problem is it also links into your account

I see what you mean Pat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Not sure if any help but Photobucket allows you to post clickable thumbnails to larger images in ones account.

th_DSC02943.jpg

Only problem is it also links into your account so best if you have an account to upload weather pics only but handy all the same if you have multiple photos to show.

Not everyone uploads there photos to photobucket tho. Me personally I host my picture on my own server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Ok so i think we'll keep things as they are then with rules changed a bit for report threads a maximum pixel width for pictures and only one embedded picture per post but more can still be added as a text link or a link back to the weather pictures forum.

Advertisement