Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Condra Ryanair's spokesman was just on newstalk, all flights from Dublin are go until 11am and then they have to see about what the iaa say after 4pm.

I'm feeling immensely bitter towards all volcanoes as it cancelled my trip to Rome last time and it's my little sister's 16th birthday today and I swore I'd be in London for her tomorrow. Grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

someone from IAA on newstalk yesterday morning was saying the volcano had actually stopped erupting, can anyone confirm this?

getting married abroad this summer, starting to get nervous, i'm hoping airports will only close for a few days max at a time under these new regulations so hopefully airports wont be closed for more than 2-3 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

bamboozle wrote: »
    someone from IAA on newstalk yesterday morning was saying the volcano had actually stopped erupting, can anyone confirm this?

getting married abroad this summer, starting to get nervous, i'm hoping airports will only close for a few days max at a time under these new regulations so hopefully airports wont be closed for more than 2-3 days!

Go back to yesterdays posts on this thread, look at the pictures attached. Does that look like a volcano that has stopped errupting !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

09.25 The IAA says that since 16.30 yesterday the volcano in Iceland has expelled denser, coarser ash higher into the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Where are the live pics of the Volcano gone? I dont see anything on the usual website.

It looks bad for Irelands flights Thursday and prob some of Friday then a clearance of ash but dont know for how long that will be. Went to England at weekend and just missed this phew

Also think Im going to start a blog on this thing to keep track of links etc. Only started up so cant type much on it yet coz at work but if ye have any tips let me know.

Me blog is http://www.icelandsvolcanoes.blogspot.com

The reason for the weird name is the others were gone Could have used the E word but who can spell that.:)

• Advertisement

Latest ash forecast : http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273058580.png

Looks like the restrictions will be extended until tomorrow morning at least based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You cant see the Volcano on any website at present as its blocked out by fog and low cloud

pauldry wrote: »
    Where are the live pics of the Volcano gone? I dont see anything on the usual website.

It's totally obscured in cloud/fog at the moment.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=map

24 earthquakes around Eyjafjallajökull since Monday. There's been nothing like that since April 14th. I've no idea what that signifies but I guess it's another change in the nature of the eruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Nacho, that link does nothing to answer my question!
    Ive heard it all before about the laki effects on weather but what about todays volcano!!!
    Plus that link is dated two weeks , shame on you!
    :pac:
    I remember MT Cranium saying if the ash continued then we would be looking at effects on the weather

just because it doesn't correspond with your wishes:p
    it seems fairly clear from the article that barring an eruption of Katla there won't be any significant effect on the climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

just because it doesn't correspond with your wishes:p
    it seems fairly clear from the article that barring an eruption of Katla there won't be any significant effect on the climate.

+1
    Tis hard to please everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273058580.png

Doesnt the latest readings say that the ash isnt above 200?

Kev. wrote: »
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273058580.png

Doesnt the latest readings say that the ash isnt above 200?

Yeah, no significant ash above FL200.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

That's good news for people flying out let's say....Friday morning at 7.30 ... Right ?

That's good news for people flying out let's say....Friday morning at 7.30 ... Right ?

Haven't seen any ash forecast for Friday yet. I think the reason why there are restrictions at the moment is not because of ash above FL200, it's because of the ash that would be encountered between takeoff and landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Not when you have to reach FL200 first ;) But from what I heard in the airport today they were expecting a brief break at the weekend, Friday Sunday afternoon. Then more chaos next week.

From the Iceland Met Office today.....
    Magma intrusion - 05 May 2010 13:40

Since Monday 3 May, increased earthquake activity beneath Eyjafjallajökull has been recorded. Precise locations of the earthquakes show that their source is at first very deep, at about 23 km depth, but then migrates upwards. This strongly indicates that “new” magma is intruding into the magma conduit and pushing on the over-lying magma, causing a difference in pressure at the surface. It is therefore anticipated that the eruption will continue at full force in the next days.

Significant changes in horizontal movement at GPS stations around Eyjafjallajökull have been observed in the last 48 hours. Renewed northward displacement is seen at stations BAS2 and STE2, located just north of the ice cap. To the south, westward movement is apparent at THEY (see figure below), while station FIM2 - located further east - shows eastward movement.

The distribution of earthquake activity in the magma conduit could also indicate the location of the magma chamber that has fuelled the eruption since 14 April. It is considered to be at a depth of approx. 3-5 kilometers, in an area where no earthquakes are detected.

T3-2010-1-5may-100505.png

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Looking OK for Operations to Resume from DUB tomorrow morning according to latest charts. No Ash on the Charts from 20,000FT Upwards either...both show zero so pointless posting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Dont know where to ask this now as this thrend is mega hugh lol but will ask anyway.
    My flight for the 22nd april to berlin was cancelled and i requested a refund via an email, received an standard email saying they will get to my refund as soon as possible within 30 days, that was just under 2 weeks ago with air lingus.

Just wondering if anyone has received a refund yet??????????? and if so what airline was it with?

Thanks

RLG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I've to get a bus from Galway at 2030 tonight, is there any way I can be somewhat close to sure that the airport will be open again at 0400?

• Advertisement

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/myrdalsjokull.html

A few more earthquakes at Eyjafjallajökull within the last hour, and one close to the Katla caldera too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cork and Kerry are only airports currently open, and are closing later this evening
    • Dublin Airport expected to re-open at 4am tomorrow
    • Waterford, Knock and Donegal to re-open at 6am tomorrow
    • Galway airport will begin operations at 9am tomorrow
    • Shannon Airport to be restricted from 5.30pm tonight until 1pm
    • Cork Airport to close at midnight , re-open at 11am
    • Kerry Airport remains open until at least midnight, will reopen at 3pm
    • IAA to confirm lifting restrictions for tomorrow at 8.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

You have to laugh at the fact that Waterford can open at 6am and Cork at 11am. In the air they are about 10mins apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/myrdalsjokull.html

A few more earthquakes at Eyjafjallajökull within the last hour, and one close to the Katla caldera too.

OH! :eek:, thats not good at all at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thats because I didnt actually read it all, just did a clark kent job on it.
    :D:DThanks for narrowing it down

Iancar29 wrote: »
    OH! :eek:, thats not good at all at all!

Well its interesting that the quake there happened at virtually the exact same time as another two quakes at Eyjafjallajökull but I wouldn't be too worried about Katla yet, it was just one fairly weak quake, not like the swarm at Eyjafjallajökull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Well its interesting that the quake there happened at virtually the exact same time as another two quakes at Eyjafjallajökull but I wouldn't be too worried about Katla yet, it was just one fairly weak quake, not like the swarm at Eyjafjallajökull.[/QUO

yeah but general activity seams quite low today, in comparson to the last few days anyway

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

roryc1 wrote: »

yeah but general activity seams quite low today, in comparson to the last few days anyway

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

Yeah the tremors have dropped right off on those graphs. It's the earthquakes that have increased. 29 in the last 3 days, before that there were hardly any in that area. The Icelandic Met Office think it means there is new magma rising up.

A bit of good news. The latest Met Office charts show the ash moving down south, looks like Ireland will be clear tomorrow afternoon for a while at least.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1273080600.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Yeah the tremors have dropped right off on those graphs. It's the earthquakes that have increased. 29 in the last 3 days, before that there were hardly any in that area. The Icelandic Met Office think it means there is new magma rising up.

Looks like it might be building up pressure, pity the webcams are not working( or fog is to heavy) at the moment to see whats going on

Advertisement