Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informative thread on dangers of excessive alcohol consumption.

Options
  • 13-12-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

This is just some things i learned in my med school bout the dangers of excessive alcohol consumption. Thought i'ld share them with you guys.

Its just completely informative. All the facts are from quite credible sources. Don't mean to offend anyone who drink with this post.
    But i think it'ld be helpful if people were more aware of the risks of excessive alcohol consumption.

So here we go:

23 million (5% of men, 1% of women) people in the EU depend on alcohol.

In Ireland:
    57% of females are heavy drinkers.
    49% of males have drank heavily in last 2 weeks.
    69% of people blame drinkers for problems.

Safe level of alcohol consumption is 21untis/week for men and 14units/week for females. Many people like to debate on this.
    1 pint of normal strength beer = 2units, 1 bottle of wine = 8 units.
    If in one night you've had 5 pints of beer, you've already reached half the safe alcohol consumption level for the whole week in just one night.

Binge drinking is defined as 4 or more drinks (women) or 5 or more drinks (men) in one sitting. Debatable.

Alcohol consumption is related to:
    80% suicides, 50% murders, 80% deaths from fire, 40% road traffic accidents, 30% fatal road traffic accidents, 15% drownings, 1/3 divorces, 1/3 child abuse and 20-30% of all hospital admissions.

There are also other risks as domestic violence, anti-social behaviour on the streets, unwanted pregnancies and all.

Alcohol might make you feel better in low quantities but it is a depressant in larger quantities.

Regular heavy drinking causes problems like:
    Liver cirrhosis (which in most cases is fatal), acute pancreatitis, irreversible neurological damage, Increased risk of cardiovascular disease especially stroke and some cancers (oral, breast, liver, colon, stomach), and then there are problems caused by dependence on alcohol.

Hope that helped in bringing some awareness about excessive alcohol usage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

:D good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Interesting stuff indeed.

But, without wanting to appear too negative why are you posting this on the Non-Drinking Forum ?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Very good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Probably i guess it'ld give people some reason to join this club???...
    I thought it was some interesting info to share and didn't know where elz to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

thanks.

sorry didn't want to appear a smart &rse.

Perhaps you should try and post it on the 'Beer Guts" forum and then stand well back !

I'm sure you'll get no end of intelligent, reasoned debate there. No, on second thoughts perhaps it's best where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I didn't think it'ld be too wise descision posting it in a drinking forum...
    It'ld just end up creating a massive debate and arugument there with people who think they know it all trying to justify their drinking habits...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It's not a very balanced post, and isn't all that informative.

For example, it completely ignores any discussion of how much fun it can be to drink, get drunk, or talk about how drunk you were last night over a few cheeky pints.

Some other statistics for you:
    1) Women are 48% more attractive after 5 beers, and 83% after 8. This rises to a whopping 97.6% for 8 beers or more plus one spirit/short.

2) You are not funny, witty or intelligent unless you have had at least a few pints. If people laugh at what you say when you're sober, it's because you are a joke.

3) Guinness is good for you.

4) Doctors recommend at least 14 drinks per week as part of a balanced diet. While these should be taken 2 per day (usually at lunchtime), it is also acceptable to have them on one friday or saturday night

5) Between 1800 and 1914, over 200 potential european wars were averted by dipolmats sitting down, having a few glasses of claret, and sorting out their problems like drunken grown ups, compared to only 43 wars started because of booze.

6) James Joyce was an alcoholic. If it wasn't for the sauce he would have been a plumber. (actually, that would probably have been for the best)

7) While it is alleged that 1/3 of divorces and 1/3 of child abuse are caused by alcohol consumption, this is wildly inaccurate. Over 80% of marriages were the direct result of alcohol consumption, and in the USA during prohibition, child abuse skyrocketed.

But most importantly, people who drink do know it all, and it's very easy to justify drinking - good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alcohol consumption is related to:
    80% suicides, 50% murders, 80% deaths from fire, 40% road traffic accidents, 30% fatal road traffic accidents, 15% drownings, 1/3 divorces, 1/3 child abuse and 20-30% of all hospital admissions.
    This is where the "statistics" start to get muddy.
    80% of suicides are "related" to consumption? In what way - as in, the dead person had consumed alcohol beforehand? Well, the variables here are too numerous to say that alcohol is a contributing factor in 80% of instances. I know for a fact that no matter how drunk I got tonight, I won't commit suicide. So in the case of suicide there's always another overriding factor. Alcohol may make someone less rational, but the seed was already there and influencing the person.
    1/3 divorces and 1/3 of child abuse? Same thing really. Alcohol may be involved, but there's nothing to say that if the alcohol was removed then these would be reduced. The alcohol is there because the problems exist, the problems don't exist because of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It's not a very balanced post, and isn't all that informative.

For example, it completely ignores any discussion of how much fun it can be to drink, get drunk, or talk about how drunk you were last night over a few cheeky pints.

Some other statistics for you:
    1) Women are 48% more attractive after 5 beers, and 83% after 8. This rises to a whopping 97.6% for 8 beers or more plus one spirit/short.

2) You are not funny, witty or intelligent unless you have had at least a few pints. If people laugh at what you say when you're sober, it's because you are a joke.

3) Guinness is good for you.

4) Doctors recommend at least 14 drinks per week as part of a balanced diet. While these should be taken 2 per day (usually at lunchtime), it is also acceptable to have them on one friday or saturday night

5) Between 1800 and 1914, over 200 potential european wars were averted by dipolmats sitting down, having a few glasses of claret, and sorting out their problems like drunken grown ups, compared to only 43 wars started because of booze.

6) James Joyce was an alcoholic. If it wasn't for the sauce he would have been a plumber. (actually, that would probably have been for the best)

7) While it is alleged that 1/3 of divorces and 1/3 of child abuse are caused by alcohol consumption, this is wildly inaccurate. Over 80% of marriages were the direct result of alcohol consumption, and in the USA during prohibition, child abuse skyrocketed.

But most importantly, people who drink do know it all, and it's very easy to justify drinking - good times.

LOL:D

Great arguement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

To quote my hero: "My name's Randy, and I just really like beer."

Again I have to ask why this is in the non-drinkers' forum, you say yourself it's about the dangers of excesive drinking.

Also it seems from your statistics that if forty percent of accidents involve drinking while only 30% of fatal accidents involve drinking then one should hope to get hit by someone who isn't sober. But then again you can prove anything with statistics, 8 out of 10 people know that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

amacachi wrote: »
    ."

Again I have to ask why this is in the non-drinkers' forum, you say yourself it's about the dangers of excesive drinking.

In fairness I thought this too as soon as I saw the thread, however the OP has already answered this question.
    Also reading through the thread it has generated some discussions and it seems to me that there are drinkers reading and posting here too,

so of all the 3 drinkers who posted here, if one, just one of them gave up the juice, this thread would have served its purpose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

My excessive alcohol consumption at the Xmas party last week resulted in my wallet being stolen and me being left with no credit card, atm card and just €9 left with Xmas presents still to get and not much food left in the house. Oh and I told at least 8 women that I love them. Never mind the health repercussions, won't be drinking that much for a long long time again after that night :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

EF wrote: »
    My excessive alcohol consumption at the Xmas party last week resulted in my wallet being stolen and me being left with no credit card, atm card and just €9 left with Xmas presents still to get and not much food left in the house. Oh and I told at least 8 women that I love them. Never mind the health repercussions, won't be drinking that much for a long long time again after that night :D

Bring it to beer guts and receeding hair for a more sympathetic response.
    Stoner wrote:
    so of all the 3 drinkers who posted here, if one, just one of them gave up the juice, this thread would have served its purpose.

Nice name by the way. There's nothing really in this thread that would make someone give up the sauce. We all know that it is bad for you and might kill you, but being adults we have assessed this risk and then had a few pints and forgot about it. So, what was I saying again?

If anything, I hope to convert some of the non drinkers back to drinking by illustrating the good times that are on offer. To add credibility to what I say, I gave up drinking for nearly 2 years in my mis-spent youth, and there are great nights that my friends talk about that I can never get back, and not a lot to show for my abstinence.

If anything, this forum should be the "Drinks sensibly" forum. You can have a few drinks - a nice beer or wine after work, a strong whiskey and cigar on your da's birthday, or a few pints of guinness on a cold winter's day. You can even get drunk from time to time. And if anyone has any tips on how to drink the right amount of alcohol (instead of a stupid amount) then I'm all ears.

yo johnnyskeleton...enough with the converting people back speech. Many of us actually can't drink.

You say you missed out on some great nights...but how do you know they were so great? I've been out with my friends on what were later talked about as great nights and as the sober voyer I can tell you that those were crap nights where everyone got locked, talked sh*te and puked. Yes there were some great nights too, but when I think back, most of the best stuff happened before everyone got hammered.

And you do have something to show for your abstinance...you actually did it! Go team you. You dared to be different for two whole years. Maybe if there had been a different social scene that didn't revolve around drink then you might have stayed being a non drinker. Sounds to me like you were just a bit lonely and that's why you started drinking again.

I don't think anyone really needs to give tips on how much is too much...that's just common sense! :)

This is called the 'Non Drinkers Club' but it's not like we're a cult trying to convert new members! It's a club for people who want to be part of a social scene that doesn't involve drinking. The 'Drink Sensibly' club really doesn't facilitate everyone...especially those who have no interest in drinking in the first place.

I think that Stoner has a fair point. If someone reads the various comments on this forum and decides to give up...that's great. It's their informed decision and at least they know that they're not the only ones. It doesn't work for you and that's fine, but it might help other people and you should respect that and the choices they make...especially because you know how hard it can be.

Happy New Year Everybody!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Just enjoy not drinking, dont start preaching to those who drink. Each to their own.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Just enjoy not drinking, dont start preaching to those who drink. Each to their own.

I just don't think anyone should bother posting about converting people (be they drinkers or non-drinkers). It achieves nothing and it's not what this forum is about. I'm not preaching to anyone...I'm just want to let people know that this forum is intended to give them the option of an occasional night out that doesn't involve drinking. That's what this forum is about and it's a very positive thing.

I just don't think anyone should bother posting about converting people (be they drinkers or non-drinkers). It achieves nothing and it's not what this forum is about. I'm not preaching to anyone...I'm just want to let people know that this forum is intended to give them the option of an occasional night out that doesn't involve drinking. That's what this forum is about and it's a very positive thing.

Sorry that was directed at the OP, i completely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Posting it on a drinking forum might be considered "preaching". How is posting the adverse effects of alcohol on a forum for people who don't or can't drink a problem for those who do drink?

If you drink and you're happy with that, good for you. It seems the drinkers are the only group "preaching" on this board. The general theme that non drinkers are abnormal keeps cropping up in posts. I would consider not putting a toxic substance into your body the most normal thing ever.

That's the problem though, how do you enjoy not drinking? I mean, am I really on the internet right now, or am I just enjoying not playing golf?

Morf wrote: »
    Posting it on a drinking forum might be considered "preaching". How is posting the adverse effects of alcohol on a forum for people who don't or can't drink a problem for those who do drink?

The point of this forum was to enjoy non-alcohol related activities was it not? WILD guess ZOMG but people who drink alcohol sometimes...you know...don't drink! and can enjoy non alcohol activities, so why moan about them non-stop?
    If you drink and you're happy with that, good for you. It seems the drinkers are the only group "preaching" on this board. The general theme that non drinkers are abnormal keeps cropping up in posts. I would consider not putting a toxic substance into your body the most normal thing ever.

Drinkers are preaching? huh? it seems its the whole non drinkers are abnormal thing keeps coming from non-drinkers to be honest, i thought this was forum was about meeting up for some fun activities, not moaning constantly about "did that bar man give me funny looks?" or what not. Or people who drink. Choosing not to drink is a choice, not some elite movement, same with choosing to drink. Don't get all high and mighty.
    That's the problem though, how do you enjoy not drinking? I mean, am I really on the internet right now, or am I just enjoying not playing golf?

If your sitting on the internet moaning endless about golf, to people who don't play golf, id say yes, yes you are.

I think this forum was a great idea, the mods seem pretty cool, but some of the members think they're better than everyone who drinks, you don't drink? good for you.

• Advertisement

I'm sure its similar to enjoying not smoking hash, not snorting cocaine or not shooting up heroin.
    The point of this forum was to enjoy non-alcohol related activities was it not? WILD guess ZOMG but people who drink alcohol sometimes...you know...don't drink! and can enjoy non alcohol activities, so why moan about them non-stop?

Is it that difficult to show an interest in non-alcohol related activities without constantly berating those who don't drink because they have an interest in issues that involve not drinking? There are plenty of posters on this board who do drink and I've felt no inclination to defend myself or my lifestyle because of what they have said. It's drinkers with a chip on their shoulder about it that irk me.
    Drinkers are preaching? huh? it seems its the whole non drinkers are abnormal thing keeps coming from non-drinkers to be honest, i thought this was forum was about meeting up for some fun activities, not moaning constantly about "did that bar man give me funny looks?" or what not. Or people who drink. Choosing not to drink is a choice, not some elite movement, same with choosing to drink. Don't get all high and mighty.

It's not difficult to feel marginalised in Irish society when you don't drink, you can forgive us for feeling slightly alienated. If you are so interested in the activities then perhaps you should organise one and stick to posting on that subject instead of having a go at others with different lifestyles. Not drinking is not always a choice, some are forced into this lifestyle through medical reasons etc.. Why shouldn't I be proud that I don't drink? Is it really that obnoxious of me to think I'm having a more productive night staying in watching tv or reading a book than someone in a pub/nightclub? I don't look down on drinkers, I quite respect those who can consume it in a adult, responsible way.
    I think this forum was a great idea, the mods seem pretty cool, but some of the members think they're better than everyone who drinks, you don't drink? good for you.

I'm not sure you quite appreciate what this forum has become. If non-drinkers want to post thread after thread complaining about Irish drink culture and drinkers, then why shouldn't we? Who are you to tell us that we should ONLY talk about non-alcohol activities? Why shouldn't we think we are better? I'm sure there are as many drinkers on other forums who will supply you with praise and a sense of fraternity when you discuss drinking. I very much doubt they are lacking in pride at the fact that they drink. I for one don't invade BGRH forum having a go at drinkers, why do you feel the need to do so here?

I'm sure its similar to enjoying not smoking hash, not snorting cocaine or not shooting up heroin.
    Yes it is.

Is it that difficult to show an interest in non-alcohol related activities without constantly berating those who don't drink because they have an interest in issues that involve not drinking?

I feel its been the other way round, i don't care if people don't drink. Half of my family are non-drinkers, and probably been off it for longer that you have been alive. I have no problem with it.
    There are plenty of posters on this board who do drink and I've felt no inclination to defend myself or my lifestyle because of what they have said. It's drinkers with a chip on their shoulder about it that irk me.

I think you got me confused with somebody else...all i was saying to the OP was stop creating divides, let people do what they want. Im sure you would agree with me that an attitude like that would be a good thing?

It's not difficult to feel marginalised in Irish society when you don't drink, you can forgive us for feeling slightly alienated.

Point taken, its just i have a few friends who don't drink, its not any kind of deal, never mind a big one. They just enjoy going the pics or something else rather than clubbing and whatnot, i just like both.
    If you are so interested in the activities then perhaps you should organise one and stick to posting on that subject instead of having a go at others with different lifestyles.

Me having a go at people's lifestyles? are you for real, all im saying is stop judging me for drinking, im not judging you for not drinking, its a non-issue to me, so who has the chip on their shoulder? Id like to organise one but wouldnt have a clue where to start, its why i like this forum.
    Not drinking is not always a choice, some are forced into this lifestyle through medical reasons etc.. Why shouldn't I be proud that I don't drink?

Pride shouldn't come into it.
    Is it really that obnoxious of me to think I'm having a more productive night staying in watching tv or reading a book than someone in a pub/nightclub?

I guess it would depend on what you are reading and watching though wouldn't it? I like clubs because i like the music and like to dance. whats the difference really?
    I don't look down on drinkers, I quite respect those who can consume it in a adult, responsible way.

We agree on that point, as long as your not fighting/puking/falling about the place.

I'm not sure you quite appreciate what this forum has become. If non-drinkers want to post thread after thread complaining about Irish drink culture and drinkers, then why shouldn't we?

You say that you feel alienated, maybe its because you complain non stop about drinkers and the drink culture. I think we have different opinions on why this forum was set up. The guy who came up with the idea didnt do so with the idea of berating people who drink. he done it to enjoy activities with other people, just not involving anything drink related.
    Who are you to tell us that we should ONLY talk about non-alcohol activities?

You sound bitter tbh. Who am i? just some randomer. who are you again?
    Why shouldn't we think we are better?

You dont drink alcohol so your better than me? :D, brilliant, hey what bout people who dont eat meat? are they better than meat eaters? or the guy who only drinks water oppose to any fizzy drinks, is he better than a fizzy drinker?
    I'm sure there are as many drinkers on other forums who will supply you with praise and a sense of fraternity when you discuss drinking.

You talking about BGRH? Its a piss take.
    I very much doubt they are lacking in pride at the fact that they drink. I for one don't invade BGRH forum having a go at drinkers, why do you feel the need to do so here?

Having a go? do you actually have the right person? BGRH is a total piss take relax. Im sure you will find it was the OP who started having a go.

Whether your better than someone or not, if you measure it by drink only a pathetic individual would do that.

Twas I that set-up this forum...and guess what...I'm not a guy! :p

You both make good points and this has been an interesting debate, but I think it might be time to chill out a bit. The forum was originally intended to be a social meeting place for non drinkers and drinkers who would like to participate in non drinking events.

If you want any advice on organising events, don't be afraid to PM me and I'll try to help! It's actually very easy to do. Maybe you should try coming along to the quiz whenever I get it organised?

Sorry dave, truce?

The truth is that i don't know you and i have no idea what your view or oppinions are. I can only go on what you've said in your posts and i admit i may have taken them to extremes!

I'll leave it at that.

No worries man, think it was just crossed wires ya know. Yup lets just leave it there.

Table quiz you say? Sounds good cant beat a good ole quiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i thought this was the non-drinkers forum - not the anti alcohol forum.
    posting items like the above and the holier than thou reception means us non-drinkers will never be accepted by the populous.

I am non drinker with drinking friends not a member of some smug elite club

i thought this was the non-drinkers forum - not the anti alcohol forum.
    posting items like the above and the holier than thou reception means us non-drinkers will never be accepted by the populous.

I am non drinker with drinking friends not a member of some smug elite club
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but this is not an 'elite' club as it's open to everybody, drinkers and non-drinkers. We're just trying create a much needed alternative to the drink culture. Some people have very strong feelings when it comes to the subject of alcohol in society and it's great that they now have a place where they can express themselves and hear other peoples thoughts on the subject. I believe that among non-drinkers there is a general feeling of acceptence of drinkers. Of course this is not always the case as some non-drinkers feel a little isolated from drinking society. It's not really about acceptance by drinkers, it's about finding alternatives to drinking and that's what this forum is about. I hope you haven't been put off by some of the more negative comments as there are so many positive comments too. I hope that you will post here again soon.

Advertisement