Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tomb Raider (reboot)

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started this on PC on Wednesday night, playing with 360 controller.
    I can see where the uncharted comparisons come from. But unlike Uncharted, the combat and number of enemies seems pretty fair.

Think I'm about halfway through the game having finished
    Shantytown. And watched what happened Grim and about to have someone covering me while I make my way towards the next part. Had to laugh at the radio tower part, just thinking Lara is clearly tough to climb a high radio tower on top of mountains only wearing what she's wearing. :)

Not just with this game but others, but do any of you do the "wiggle the stick" parts with the palm of your hand rather than your thumb? I can't move my thumb as fast as needed.

As for the melee, I'm enjoying
    using the axe as a weapon

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

Started this on PS3 there. Wasn't really sure what to make of it but after the 60 minute mark it gets really good. Very similar to Uncharted but in a good way imo.

Not hugely interested in the story, I'm mainly concerned with collecting everything in each area
    GPS caches/documents etc

CastorTroy wrote: »

Not just with this game but others, but do any of you do the "wiggle the stick" parts with the palm of your hand rather than your thumb? I can't move my thumb as fast as needed.

I started wiggling with my palm for this game, works alot better!

And done. That was fun. Didn't collect everything but did the tombs

• Registered Users Posts: 31 5dolla12

Im about two hours in. Im playing on normal, and I am wondering does the game get much harder? Seem to be able to take down quite a enemies a bit too easily. Does it get any harder?

5dolla12 wrote: »
    Im about two hours in. Im playing on normal, and I am wondering does the game get much harder? Seem to be able to take down quite a enemies a bit too easily. Does it get any harder?

With regard enemies they get a bit harder with
    armour, shields, better weapons, more of them at the one time, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

5dolla12 wrote: »

Switch to hard difficulty level if you can, much better experiance. Challenging, but not frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Finished it last week, went back and collected everything after that, finishing up to 100% yesterday. Really liked the campaign but wouldn't recommend going for 100% - too much of a chore and no fanfare at the end when you achieve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Was anyone else surprised by how gory the game was? For Tomb Raider, I mean. It's some step up from Underworld!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Vojera wrote: »
    Was anyone else surprised by how gory the game was? For Tomb Raider, I mean. It's some step up from Underworld!

They really did go to town and found wonderful ways to impail Lara. Definitely very gory and harrowing but I thought it was very well acted by the girl who played Lara this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    Not hugely interested in the story, I'm mainly concerned with collecting everything in each area

I don't get this. Games are (usually) all about the story for me, especially with story driven games like this one!

Anyway, just finished it, and i was delightfully surprised with it. I knew it was going to be different than previous TR games, but they pulled this off perfectly. But i do believe Crystal Dynamics are one of the best at what they do lately (and previously; Legacy of Kain series!). I knew they would do a good job on this, just didn't expect it to be this good.

And while i understand some people saying it wasn't a true Tomb Raider game (ie: very little raiding of tombs), i think it was a nice angle CD took to re-invent Lara, while also hinting that she will soon be the Tomb Raider we all know and love. Indeed, she does say that
    "I hate tombs!"
    near enough to the start, but by the end of the game you get the feeling she's starting to enjoy it.

Also, with the majority of the gaming community lapping up any action/adventure game with decent gunplay lately, they would have taken a huge chance with making it puzzle focused, as per previous efforts. I'm sure they'll make a sequel with better Tombs, but i would love a modern-day remake of TR2, loved that game!

Gets a 9.5/10 for me, loved it that much! And only figured out the TressFX once i had completed the game to 100% (before going passed the Point of No Return).

Also, for your viewing pleasure, all of Lara's death scenes and screamy bits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Almost completed Tomb Raider. Will probably complete it today.

I just have to say, this is probably the BEST GAME I've ever played!

It's definitely right right up there with the best.

9.5 / 10

5 Stars

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

just cleared it, finally. great game but didn't really grab my attention. Really an Uncharted copy of epic set pieces and hold your hand puzzle solving. Gonna trade it in xtravision now for 35 euro!

Best bit of the game was the class dual
    wielding pistols
    at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just got this the other day, enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Much better than the old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yup the
    dual wield pistols
    was a nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

sheehy83 wrote: »
    just cleared it, finally. great game but didn't really grab my attention. Really an Uncharted copy of epic set pieces and hold your hand puzzle solving. Gonna trade it in xtravision now for 35 euro!

Best bit of the game was the class dual
    wielding pistols
    at the end

seriously? they offered me 28 for a week old copy of metro last light

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

sweetie wrote: »
    seriously? they offered me 28 for a week old copy of metro last light

They have a deal at the moment for 1 week only, giving 35 euro credit for top 10 games. They have a list on their facebook page and in the shop. TBH their selection of games was bad, hard to find a game I wanted but Gamestop are offering 13 euro for tomb raider so wanted to trade it this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Just finished it there (with 99% completion - I got everything except three of the weapon upgrades because I didn't think they'd count :mad: ).

I really enjoyed it. I thought the story was good, it was visually stunning and, most importantly, fun to play.

My biggest issue was with all the QTEs. I found it impossible to get the timing right so I ended up just mashing the buttons until it accepted it. I also don't think I liked the way the QTEs were incorporated into the boss battles. What's wrong with just having to shoot the crap out of something?!

But that's a small gripe, and I hope the next one is just as good. I'd have loved a NG+ option, because I had a quick run around after I finished and there doesn't seem to be many (any?) enemies left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Naw, it's a pity alright. The only place that seems to have enemies when you're finished is the Shanty Town.
    Was going to try an get a platinum on this....but the multiplayer (ugh) is a grind-a-thon. When will producers learn that I play games to get away from people. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Just finished this last night.
    Really enjoyed it, thought the variation in gameplay was particularly good, and the gunplay was excellent. I don't usually play on hard too often but bumped it up after the first hour or so and it made it more enjoyable.

It's like this weird love child of some of best games in the last few years though.
    There are elements of Far Cry 3 in there, particularly the addictive collectibles and skill point system.

As others thave said, then you've the Uncharted influence; the set pieces, platforming, enemies and storytelling (though I thought the storytelling wasn't in the same league as Uncharted while the enemies were better).

Also some of of the environmental climbing reminded me of Assasin's Creed.

And finally the way Hitman used the enemies you came across to tell some of the inside story.

Advertisement