Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the pledge?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

ok so we're all non-drinkers here apart from the occasional drunk who wanders in from the Beer guts and recceding hair fourm, but has anyone taken the pledge and became a pioneer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Well, we're not all non-drinkers. Some of us quite enjoy the buzz, just not all the time.

I think that pledge is a waste of time. It's a religious thing isn't it? People don't listen to churches much anymore (thankfully in my opinion).

You don't have to pledge to anyone to stop drinking or stay from it - You just don't drink. Not drinking isn't that difficult unless you're one of the few unlucky people with that addiction related gene.

If you want to stop drinking, the only person you have to convince is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Eglinton wrote: »
    Well, we're not all non-drinkers. Some of us quite enjoy the buzz, just not all the time.

I think that pledge is a waste of time. It's a religious thing isn't it? People don't listen to churches much anymore (thankfully in my opinion).

You don't have to pledge to anyone to stop drinking or stay from it - You just don't drink. Not drinking isn't that difficult unless you're one of the few unlucky people with that addiction related gene.

If you want to stop drinking, the only person you have to convince is yourself.

sorry we're not all non drinkers:o,

oh i'm not a pioneer i firmly believe that the reason you don't drink should be for yourself and not for a pledge, i just wanted to see what others thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

My mam is a pioneer, see has (had?) a pin that says pioneer or something. She doesn't drink because she's a pioneer but she's a pioneer because she doesn't drink (if that makes sense).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

was thinking of joining but then i would probably go mad and rebel against it. !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

See here for info on the Pioneer Association.

Basically the association was founded at a time when people did listen to the teachings of the Church and was founded to discourage alcohol abuse. We all know the problems that severe alcohol abuse can cause for individuals, families and even entire communities so an association that applied a religious element to abstinence was an excellent idea at that time and for those who still follow the teachings of the church it's still a good idea.

Here's a key quote from the website about what the movement stands for today:
    The Pioneer makes a committment to abstain from alcohol for life. This represents a sacrifice by which great graces are obtained from God for those people suffering from the abuse of alcohol.

So you can see that the sacrifice is made not for the benefit of the Pioneer but for those who suffer from alcohol abuse.

Anyway, have a look at the site to find out more if you are interested. I'm not a Pioneer myself but like most kids I took the Pledge during my Confirmation and maintained it until I was 18, as I promised to do.

These days I do drink but less than once a week unless it's Christmas...hic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I was told by my priest at confirmation that I wasnt allowed to say never on my pledge.

Advertisement