Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future club amalgamations

Options
  • 15-11-2019 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I was reading an article about the current state of clubs in Leinster. The Leinster council has apparently highlighted around 30 clubs which could either fold or amalgamate with another club. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what clubs they could be referring to. Other provinces could be included in this discussion as well.

Comments

Loads amalgamate all the time and nobody notices. I'm surprised the number is only at 30 but if it's a provincial council then I'd guess there's a monetary ulterior motive behind them highlighting it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Loads amalgamate all the time and nobody notices. I'm surprised the number is only at 30 but if it's a provincial council then I'd guess there's a monetary ulterior motive behind them highlighting it at all.

Perhaps they were looking at senior clubs? Mullinalaghta were used as an example of a club which may not exist in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I was reading an article about the current state of clubs in Leinster. The Leinster council has apparently highlighted around 30 clubs which could either fold or amalgamate with another club. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what clubs they could be referring to. Other provinces could be included in this discussion as well.

Maybe if they put together some sort of plan to support these smaller clubs?
    You know, like rural development officers or something

Schools in rural areas generally get a 6/7 week block of coaching from their CB and that's it for the year. The support in many counties is pitiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Maybe if they put together some sort of plan to support these smaller clubs?
    You know, like rural development officers or something

Schools in rural areas generally get a 6/7 week block of coaching from their CB and that's it for the year. The support in many counties is pitiful

I don't think that it's enough. Urbanisation is hurting rural clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

If you think it's bad in Leinster go to Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Id love to see club senior county final programmes for the last 30 years and look at the "player profile" section. I would hazard a guess that the average age of the starting team has increased massively from 89 to 2019.
    Looking on in Kilkenny you see a large number of who would be considered 'strong' teams have their star players in the 32+ age bracket. That surely points to a sign of ageing teams and less young players playing and or taking on the mantle of being the go-to-guys.

Advertisement