Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Property Tax Increases

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I see now - you're completely missing the point - deliberately. I think I'll just stop engaging with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lleti wrote: »
    A lot of whinging about LPT being increased.

You're benefitting from the house prices increasing so you can't be complaining.

how am I benefiting from house prices increasing? they literally make zero benefit to my life.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It prices the riff raff out of your estate! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

how am I benefiting from house prices increasing? they literally make zero benefit to my life.

When you're 60 and want to downsize you'll be able to sell and you'll be liquid then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry my typo, the new valuations are coming Nov. 2020!

LPT was brought in when property was at low enough valuation (my value was halved) so I think many people will see a significant increase.

Just looked at mine there and it will jump at least 3 if not 4 bands and I've done no major renovations.

Its been stated and restated that the actual rate - currently 0.18% of the midpoint of the band if value is under 1M - will be cut significantly at the time of revaluation as well as the bands widened. The announcement of the revaluation date included this.

Its likely that this will happen; which should eliminate the valuation increase for most people; unless your house has had an abnormal increase or had an abnormally low value at the original valuation date. Mine falls in to the latter, I'd be up 3 in the current bands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Housing is an asset, particularly in Ireland used to grow wealth.

I'm renting a house that's seen my landlord get an increase of 25% over the last number of years. Delighted they'll be getting hit for something!
    That’s an investment property. Very different. So different that I believe the tenant should pay for local services via the LPT or a council tax.

Also his wealth hasn’t grown, Till he sells. And then what had grown is hit with Capital Gains Tax. Did you forget about the little tax?

When you're 60 and want to downsize you'll be able to sell and you'll be liquid then.
    well that's 30 odd years away, so again, it is of zero benefit to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tjhook

I'm renting a house that's seen my landlord get an increase of 25% over the last number of years. Delighted they'll be getting hit for something!

I empathise with your pain - it's not easy when the cost of putting a roof over your head is increasing more and more.

But there's not much to be gained by lashing out at those who are paying a mortgage. The government milks the middle classes as much as it can, but not to the extent that you're advocating throughout this thread. Many home owners paid huge stamp duty back in the day, VAT and levies on the property, and now the annual home tax. And that's all from income already exposed to income tax (at a 52% marginal rate!). There's no government that will do what you're saying. Not if it wants to be elected.

You need to discriminate between those who are causing the problem, and those who are doing what they can to avoid the problem. Save your ire for the former.

tjhook wrote: »
    I empathise with your pain - it's not easy when the cost of putting a roof over your head is increasing more and more.

But there's not much to be gained by lashing out at those who are paying a mortgage. The government milks the middle classes as much as it can, but not to the extent that you're advocating throughout this thread. Many home owners paid huge stamp duty back in the day, VAT and levies on the property, and now the annual home tax. And that's all from income already exposed to income tax (at a 52% marginal rate!). There's no government that will do what you're saying. Not if it wants to be elected.

You need to discriminate between those who are causing the problem, and those who are doing what they can to avoid the problem. Save your ire for the former.

Like it or not you are becoming more wealthy by owning a home, which increases in value.

My money each month will never be seen again. Yours will in the terms of one day finishing the mortgage and owning the house outright.

I'll not say anymore on the topic, apart from a reply to another poster.

well that's 30 odd years away, so again, it is of zero benefit to me.

You sound like someone who thinks landlords should be able to use their mortgage payments against their tax because it'll be 30 years before the mortgage is paid back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Like it or not you are becoming more wealthy by owning a home, which increases

Prices are dropping at the moment. , many still have recovered to pre 2008 prices. Many people paid large stamp duty when they bought before LPT

You sound like someone who thinks landlords should be able to use their mortgage payments against their tax because it'll be 30 years before the mortgage is paid back.
    ok, no idea what that has to do with anything, or what relevance it has to my posts.
    You said I benefit, I don't. You have been unable to show any tangible benefit to me or my life. There are clear, quantifiable negatives.

ok, no idea what that has to do with anything, or what relevance it has to my posts.
    You said I benefit, I don't. You have been unable to show any tangible benefit to me or my life. There are clear, quantifiable negatives.

Not all benefits are seen right away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Not all benefits are seen right away.

That clears it all up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭daheff

A lot of whinging about LPT being increased.

You're benefitting from the house prices increasing so you can't be complaining.

you only benefit if you can sell your property at a higher price than you bought AND can buy a similar property (or better) for less. Otherwise you dont benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Got the letter from revenue today confirming the increase. I just checked what my payment will be when property prices have to be updated next year, it'll be a fair jump. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,530 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got the letter from revenue today confirming the increase. I just checked what my payment will be when property prices have to be updated next year, it'll be a fair jump. :(

The rate will almost certainly be cut to make the jump less significant - the main extra income will come from new houses built since 2013 that are all currently paying nothing. That is unless there is a new Government with a funding crisis
    *and* a solid majority with no expectation of an election for five years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

if the Govt change the rate Bands, then it will apply to all.

If any of those Kildare Coucillirs knock on my door, they will get short shrift.

Trying to pull the wool over people's eyes, "no need to log the votes". Hmmmm. I wonder why?

Advertisement