Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beard oil etc

Options
  • 06-11-2020 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.

2 weeks since I shaved and feeling slightly itchy!

Reading online how important beard oil, mosturiser, balms are to keep the itch away etc,,,,anyone have recommendations?:)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Nope but just order the Khiels one for my husband. He likes their other products

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

jrosen wrote: »
    Nope but just order the Khiels one for my husband. He likes their other products

Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?

I am very impatient when it comes to waiting for post.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The ‘shyte you don’t need but we can convince you that you do’ industry has run out of crap to sell to women.

And now we have ‘beard oil’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

From my own experience, the initial itching goes away, and only starts becoming a problem in the moustache area when it tickles and becomes irritating.

When a beard has properly established I feel that oils aren't essential to overcome itching at all, but I have heard some get beard dandruff, which fortunately I don't, so oil may be useful here.

I've found not using super cleansing shampoo, ie, anything that strips hair of any natural oils, is best as they can make your beard get very wiry. Use conditioner when you shower.

I use beard oil if I'm getting dressed up for an event or a meeting etc, really improves the look of it when oiled and combed. But I certainly wouldn't use it daily.

Ordinarily I keep the moustache well trimmed but I have been growing it for a while now, and parting it. Really adds to the look of a full beard compared to trimming in my opinion, but it makes eating and drinking that much more work.

I believe you can get special mugs, i might invest!

endacl wrote: »
    The ‘shyte you don’t need but we can convince you that you do’ industry has run out of crap to sell to women.

And now we have ‘beard oil’.

Bearded man yourself Enda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bearded man yourself Enda?

Frequently. Depends how often I remember to shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Hello.

2 weeks since I shaved and feeling slightly itchy!

Reading online how important beard oil, mosturiser, balms are to keep the itch away etc,,,,anyone have recommendations?:)

Cheers

Just on the “itch” issue. I use pure baby oil. It fixes both flaky skin and itch pretty much instantly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I've found the L'oreal stuff quite good, I use the shampoo/conditioner every couple of days and just water to wash the other morning when I shower. My chin gets quite itchy and I rub some of the oil in and it stops the itch. For going out oil and balm keeps it in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Honest Amish make the best oil, balm and beard soap.
    You can mail order direct from Pennsylvania or get it from the Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Where did you order it from if you don't mind me asking?

I am very impatient when it comes to waiting for post.:P

Arnotts

But look fantastic also has a really good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

From my own experience, the initial itching goes away, and only starts becoming a problem in the moustache area when it tickles and becomes irritating.

When a beard has properly established I feel that oils aren't essential to overcome itching at all, but I have heard some get beard dandruff, which fortunately I don't, so oil may be useful here.

I've found not using super cleansing shampoo, ie, anything that strips hair of any natural oils, is best as they can make your beard get very wiry. Use conditioner when you shower.

I use beard oil if I'm getting dressed up for an event or a meeting etc, really improves the look of it when oiled and combed. But I certainly wouldn't use it daily.

Ordinarily I keep the moustache well trimmed but I have been growing it for a while now, and parting it. Really adds to the look of a full beard compared to trimming in my opinion, but it makes eating and drinking that much more work.

I believe you can get special mugs, i might invest!

100% this, I get dandruff and on occasion psoriasis plaques under my beard depending on stress levels. I find that a good shampoo/conditioner and some quality beard oil helps to keep it at bay, and keeps the beard in good condition.

The initial itchy phase is a necessary evil which all beard growers have to go through unfortunately. Thankfully it only lasts a couple of weeks, but beard oil won't help I'd save your money for now and see if dandruff is an issue you have to deal with from your beard. Then you can decide on getting beard oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

2beorganic do a fantastic beard oil product. And it is 100% organic and made by a family here in Ireland. Highly recommend them.

2beorganic.ie

posted and delivered from Ireland too. Made by a registered holistic practitioner too so no dogey chemicals going into it - I think the beard oil has no animal products in it at all so might be vegan certified. Just in case you like to be the only tiger in your beard! Great products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This is from an older post but it still checks out:

I've tried a good few beard oils and the one I keep going back to when I'm having a bad beard day is this stuff from etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/106359770/beard-oil-sheriff-mens-grooming-oil?ref=shop_home_active_6

Now I'm not saying to buy it or even that the scent is nice, but some ingredient in there really makes a difference over every other product I've tried.

Materials: olive oil, sunflower oil, sweet almond oil, macadamia nut oil, fragrance, apricot kernel oil, hemp oil

Jojoba Oil is very common in beard oils. My second best beard oil has this in it:

High Oleic Sunflower Oil, jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil

Take a look at this article and see the section on base or "carrier" oils. Maybe pick up a bottle at a health food shop or pharmacy and see if that helps rejuvenate it.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/09/diy-beard-oil/

Of course a well reviewed beard oil off Amazon might also do the trick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_76_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abeard+oil%2Cp_72%3A419153031%2Cp_76%3A419159031&keywords=beard+oil&ie=UTF8&qid=1474198531&rnid=419157031

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

https://www.drksoap.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAqJn9BRB0EiwAJ1SztR4nK4G5vgpKAkERzVGhscXNrUb0r2UZJktRjhOx75UYXSwDC2r6-RoCDzIQAvD_BwE

The Dr K Soap range I've found to be excellent. And they are fully Irish. Great balm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Aliver do a nice beard kit. Balm, oil, brush and travel bag.

My beard never really itched as I was expecting. Regarding oil, you could use it from day 1. It's called beard oil, but it's really for the skin underneath.

And dont waste oil by just throwing it on a dry beard before 'going out'. You will just have an oily beard without the benefits. You need to apply it to wet beard when you are out of the shower. To lock in the moisture.

And dont waste oil by just throwing it on a dry beard before 'going out'. You will just have an oily beard without the benefits. You need to apply it to wet beard when you are out of the shower. To lock in the moisture.

I'm sure most people would be like me... When going out typically you'd shower and ready yourself, so beard would already be wet when applying the oil.

Advertisement