Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting Room - 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

No, has to be during an active recruitment drive (opens for a few weeks). Sign up to Publicjobs.ie and you will get a notification when it opens!
    Hey guys Jack here. Just wondering is it possible to send in an application for garda recruitment at any time of the year? As working as a security officer atm

I'm desperate like a lot of ye to get a career an ags.

So can we forward applications anytime?

Regards

Jack hynes

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jackhynes99

No, has to be during an active recruitment drive (opens for a few weeks). Sign up to Publicjobs.ie and you will get a notification when it opens!

Fantastic thanks for the reply guess I'll just have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

Hey guys Jack here. Just wondering is it possible to send in an application for garda recruitment at any time of the year? As working as a security officer atm

I'm desperate like a lot of ye to get a career an ags.

So can we forward applications anytime?

Regards

Jack hynes

You need to register yourself with public jobs.ie and set up job alerts for emergency services. Once a new Recruitment campaign starts you'll get notified to apply to the public appointments committee. The first 3 stages of the process is handled by them and then once you pass the stage 3 interview your application is sent to ags. Try to make sure you meet all criteria first before you apply as I've seen here people get through the whole process up to the medical and then cant progress any further due to a medical issue which to say would be disheartening would probably be a massive understatement after getting through everything else. Aim to involve yourself in some solid voluntary and community work. It's not a necessary requirement but it will help your application greatly. Keep yourself active and fit and last but by no means least prepare yourself for what is one of the longest Recruitment processes you'll see. Hope this helps ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Stretch1432

What would have to happen for an application to be rejected and to be notified immediately. I've heard they just keep kicking your application down the road so to speak until you get fed up waiting. To be fair it would be much better if they did notify you so you know where you stood or even set out guidelines before a Recruitment campaign so you had a fair idea what could cause a problem for you besides going through the whole Recruitment process just to get fobbed off time and time again

Really they would keep kicking your application down the road? Where did you hear this ? That just seems really harsh . Maybe they should just tell you and put you out of your misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Well I only know of 2 applications that got rejected , and 1 was due to a family member being involved in drugs , and the other was down to not reaching the medical requirements,
    It’s common sense really , The vetting is very powerful it will find most nooks and crannies along the lines , plus the interview with the super is important , I have heard that applicants near the older end of the spectrum do get kicked down the line as they don’t really want them , but that’s only speculation,
    If you or your family is of good nature and good citizens, nobody should have any worries ,
    This is going to be the longest wait ever for college so I would advise everyone to not put your lives on hold and forget about it till we get those lovely emails from HR

• Advertisement

St. Westy wrote: »
    Well I only know of 2 applications that got rejected , and 1 was due to a family member being involved in drugs , and the other was down to not reaching the medical requirements,
    It’s common sense really , The vetting is very powerful it will find most nooks and crannies along the lines , plus the interview with the super is important , I have heard that applicants near the older end of the spectrum do get kicked down the line as they don’t really want them , but that’s only speculation,
    If you or your family is of good nature and good citizens, nobody should have any worries ,
    This is going to be the longest wait ever for college so I would advise everyone to not put your lives on hold and forget about it till we get those lovely emails from HR

Who is that makes a decision on the vetting ? Does it go all the way up to the commissioner ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭dublin2000A

Who is that makes a decision on the vetting ? Does it go all the way up to the commissioner ?

The commissioner has the final say based on what your superintendent says about you and everything else that comes back from the vetting Bureau, if all is in order he clears you to HR. I have a few arrests from years ago (silly stuff and no convictions) so he'll have to use his judgement whether or not Im suitable for AGS, my superintendent went through me for a shortcut over it but actually told me that he was going to recommend me but final say is with Drew

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Did you do your first medical in March 2019 or 2020?

March 2020, last month

Hey guys please find attached a response my mother got from the press office in AGS.

Not good news for this year at all

Jack

Hey guys please find attached a response my mother got from the press office in AGS.

Not good news for this year at all

Jack

There was never going to be a recruitment drive this year , and I was talking to a guard today at a checkpoint who was recently graduated (properly graduated in his words) and he relayed to me that word is,it will be the new year at the earliest before any fitness tests are put in motion , and that the college will not open until there is a vaccine, and then the people that got sworn in after 12 weeks or something will be the first people back in the college,
    So it is going to be a long long time before any of us get to college unfortunately, and a recruitment drive is not high on their radar in my opinion , when there is so many people to run through the college

• Advertisement

St. Westy wrote: »
    There was never going to be a recruitment drive this year , and I was talking to a guard today at a checkpoint who was recently graduated (properly graduated in his words) and he relayed to me that word is,it will be the new year at the earliest before any fitness tests are put in motion , and that the college will not open until there is a vaccine, and then the people that got sworn in after 12 weeks or something will be the first people back in the college,
    So it is going to be a long long time before any of us get to college unfortunately, and a recruitment drive is not high on their radar in my opinion , when there is so many people to run through the college

I guess maybe the army is the next port of call. Wouldn't mind a career of being asked alot of and being broke af every week 😂

I guess maybe the army is the next port of call. Wouldn't mind a career of being asked alot of and being broke af every week 😂

Well yes that would be a good option , I know a lad that swapped from army to ags and flew the interview cause he had so much life experience , so go for it , act quick tho , closing date is coming up, best of luck

I advise that you go for a cadetship. General enlistment is poor pay and you do a lot of duties. As a private your the bottom of the rank structure and get treated like crap. Sometimes when your in the barracks staring at the four walls they have you doing menial tasks such as sweeping up leaves and picking up weeds . Thats just some of the negatives. Its a good job in bad times like recessions and what we are going through now but a bad job in good times.There are a few advantages aswell like going overseas getting to make lifelong friends some of the courses etc but i feel the negatives outweigh the pros. And that's from a serving member.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

What about the people from the 2019 recruitment who’ve passed all stages, will they still get into the college or have they cancelled that too?

What about the people from the 2019 recruitment who’ve passed all stages, will they still get into the college or have they cancelled that too?

Probabaly vetting is still outstanding like those of us from 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Probabaly vetting is still outstanding like those of us from 2018

Ya but people have been given offers too, have they just been cancelled?

Ya but people have been given offers too, have they just been cancelled?

Not sure unless they were allready after starting training well then they were sent out ontonthe front lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Has anyone contacted the office for any updates on what the long term plan is with the current campaign?

I know at the start of the last recession, anyone waiting was wiped from the competition completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ceejsim

Have an offer was due to start 5th May. Was told that the start date had been pushed. No specific date given but that there may be very little notice given for new start date

i contacted appointments today to see could they shed some light on the current situation and what was planned for us successful 2019 applicants and got the following reply, sounds positive

'Dear Applicant,

We acknowledge your email below with thanks.

Currently your application is being progressed through the following:

Your application is being progressed as normal.

Although there are no medical and physical competence tests taking place currently all other aspects of your file are being progressed.

We will be in touch with you in due course.

Kind regards,

Appointments Office HRPD Phone: 01-6662571
    Garda Headquarters, Phoenix Park, Dublin, Ireland, D08HN3X
    Email appointmentsoffice@garda.ie |'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

I got through to them myself today aswell and received this back. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Not to get many hopes up but I've just heard they're taking in 75 recruits for templemore in May

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keitho349

Triplek wrote: »
    Not to get many hopes up but I've just heard they're taking in 75 recruits for templemore in May

What’s the source on that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rboa98s165xzh3

Source?I'm waiting on final medical clearance after getting my eyes lasered. Clinic is closed and therefore can;t sign off on me. Everything else is good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jose1997

Source?I'm waiting on final medical clearance after getting my eyes lasered. Clinic is closed and therefore can;t sign off on me. Everything else is good to go

Hi just checking my eyesight is -1.5 left eye -1 on right do u think I would need my eye lasered

Jose1997 wrote: »
    Hi just checking my eyesight is -1.5 left eye -1 on right do u think I would need my eye lasered

If you can’t read a page at arms length away from you , you will need laser, that’s a small test you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lcass

You must be able to read 6/18 6/18 unaided. You then must be able to read 6/12 6/9 corrected. These are the minimum levels. 6/18 is the third line down on the chart, 6/12 is the fourth and 6/9 is the fifth.

This means you must, without glasses with both eyes, read the first three lines. And without glasses with one eye read the fourth line. And with the other eye to the fifth line which can be corrected with a lense.

There are charts online you can print out if want to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Either that or a pair of contacts on the day if laser is cost prohibitive. Has been done many times before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rboa98s165xzh3

Don't do this. They'll shine a light into your eyes to check that they dilate etc properly. A contact lens is incredibly obvious when they do this. Not saying it hasn't worked in the past, but if it has, the MO on the day was either incompetent or willfully allowing people to pass by cheating. I had to get the surgery-ye it sucks and its expensive. But would you rather be:

A-Barred from applying again because you cheated and got caught?

B-Get away with it, and on the job, have a lens knocked out and be a liability to yourself and your team, and maybe get someone seriously hurt?

Advertisement