Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained firefighter training

Options
  • 28-08-2019 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    Does anyone know if you get paid for the three week retained firefighter training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Hi
    Does anyone know if you get paid for the three week retained firefighter training?

Yep you will get paid for all your training. If it’s in another county you will get paid expenses and over night too. Expenses are tax free aswell so nice little boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rebelprince

Cheers. Thanks for the heads up.
    Giving up a full time job for it, so not sure if I'm right or wrong yet.

Cheers. Thanks for the heads up.
    Giving up a full time job for it, so not sure if I'm right or wrong yet.

Time will tell. I was working full time and really hated my job and haven’t regretted joining since. But big thing is chat to as many lads as you can on the station your joining about call volume, time off, if they like it or not etc. Job can be fine but working with a bad bunch can ruin any job! Best of luck and any questions give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I'm retained for 4/5 years now and even though I love it I can't find a full time job within 2 miles of the station, I need to apply for a mortgage in the nxt 12 mths so unfortunately I'll have to jack it in which I really don't want to do, it's a disaster tbh, so hard to find full time work when your retained

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rebelprince

Hi.
    Thanks for the reply. This a vent btw. I started working as a retained. Did it for 6 months. Loved it. But was struggling to make a living, primarily due to the roster. Have left, am disappointed, and have wrote the whole thing thing off as a bad debt, which is a pity. The job put me in debt (paying for childcare etc). Best job I've ever had, only job I've truly cared about, job I was most suited to. But christ it broke my heart. Anyway, have sent my cv to aldi. Maybe I can manage the frozen pea section. Cheers again. A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Hi.
    Thanks for the reply. This a vent btw. I started working as a retained. Did it for 6 months. Loved it. But was struggling to make a living, primarily due to the roster. Have left, am disappointed, and have wrote the whole thing thing off as a bad debt, which is a pity. The job put me in debt (paying for childcare etc). Best job I've ever had, only job I've truly cared about, job I was most suited to. But christ it broke my heart. Anyway, have sent my cv to aldi. Maybe I can manage the frozen pea section. Cheers again. A

Were you getting social welfare on top of your retainer and call outs?
    How many calls a year does your station get

What kind of roster were you on? Sorry it didn’t work out lots of lads around the country leaving for one reason or another.

Advertisement