Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to learn Total Immersion...

• 27-11-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

My wife has started swimming regularly after a car accident a couple of years ago. She goes 3 or 4 times a week and has got up to 1KM in around an hour and would really like to improve her technique. She is looking at TI as the way to go. I'm looking to get her something for her birthday to help her.....

Looking here a lot of people have said get the book and/or the DVD. There are a couple of books on the market - is there any particular one that is recommended? And DVD?

Total Immersion UK run courses for £375 which appears very expensive. One was reviewed here 4 years ago. Anyone else any experiences with a workshop. Do anyone else run TI Courses? Has it improved their technique longer term?

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭ocisorrenta

Great news to read about a new swimmer.
    TI is very useful in the earliest stages of swimming as it breaks down strokes and body movements very well, but Swim Smooth is a better method.

That's in my opinion as it does not ask everyone to conform to the exact same style, but teaches people to use their own body to ITS best advantage. It emphasises that not all people perform best with the perfect, smooth stroke.

This is opposite to TI.

Check it out -
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/

They have a book, DVD and workshops from a day to a week in various places in England. They also run camps in Alicante, Mallorca and Morrocco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

glad to hear she must be over the injuries from her crash and is taking a big interest in a sport we all love round these parts.
    is she doing any coached sessions now? if not, i think it might make more sense to perhaps buy her a voucher etc for some coached sessions. the real jumps people make are when they are being observed and instructed on the spot and progress monitored.

if she's doing this already then TI is another good tool out there for improving technique.
    It's just one tool though, there are many others so don't think of it as the be all and end all of swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

Thanks for the advice.

The Swim Smooth is a very good website and looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

what did you do in the end and any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

In the end I got both books and a copy of the TI DVD and she'll decide which to go go with. Unfortunately due to Christmas/Crazy work schedule/a dodgy back she hasn't get a chance to do much with them.

She can get down to the local pool at lunch time most days . Getting regular instruction from a coach would be ideal, but when she inquired about lessons she was told that nobody here teaches swimming like that. But she is disciplined enough to work on exercises by herself and I'll be able to help occasionally. (I used to teach many years ago) and hopefully she'll be able to organize one off lessons in Dublin when she is up there.

When things get going I'll try update the thread in a couple of weeks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

Hi,

how did the TI training go?

Am thinking of buying the DVD

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

think there is a 2-day TI course on in Laois next month
    apparently Terry is over

Advertisement