Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Liffey Swim

Options
  • 26-03-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this? Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of doing it.

I had a quick look into it and it seems you need to be part of a swimming club and swim four races to qualify for it.

What are these swimming clubs like? I wouldn't particuarly be doing these races in a competitive sense, just for fun and i suppose to have goals.

I've never really swam open water, it's only ever in the pool so i suppose i'd need time to adapt ow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah Moneky9, you have to swim four races run by SwimIreland in the leinster calender....

Where about's are you situated? I could put you in contact with some clubs if you wanted, the fee can be from 40/60 euro to join a club which gives you the chance to enter these open sea swims.

It can be scary your first time getting into a race and you realise you can't stand up,plus having to navigate and have other swimmers swim over you as they go for position. The races can't go ahead unless there is 3 boats from the civil defense. They will pull you from water if you want or get in trouble.

But its unreal the feeling you get when you have finished a race, its a great buzz to come up to the handicapper and see what position you got.

A couple years back when you seen the handicapper at end of race you shouted your name and you had to wait a couple of days till you seen where you came, but they give you numbers now.

The 4 swims also allow you to enter Dun Laoghaire Swim which is a challenging swim.

For the next couple of weeks i'd get yourself into the sea, just go in for a dip and stay close to shore, it will be cold but it will give you a sense of whats to come,it does get warmer as the months go on.

Also, all the races are handicapped. Your first few swims they will be weary of you and give you a hard handicap just to see how you do, then it will come down.

But as you said you want to do this as a goal and not competitively. But to be honest you will get hooked believe me and you want to get better as the swims go on. Plus you will have your other swimmers you will get to know and want to beat them in before you.

Its great craic to be honest, plus there is a presentation on afterwards in a pub or yacht club were there are cups plus other prizes to be had...

Keep forgetting stuff, :rolleyes:

To enter a race its €10, to enter the Liffey or Dun Laoghaire swim its €30. One or two races maybe slightly higher than €10 like the Island swim.

There will be around 33 races this year, but all weather dependent and must have is 3 boats from the Civil Defense.

Races range from 1.5k to over 2k...The Liffey is over 2k while the Dun Laoghaire Harbour swim is 2.5k.

Swimming in the Liffey can be manky, like last year for instance,(year previous to that was fine) loads of leafs and some plastic bottles. I swam through a big thick lumps of leafs, swallowed some water (tasted like tap water) :). Last year they push the finish back a bit further than previous years as it used to finish outside the custom house, but last year it finished more or less outside Jurys Inn. But all in all its a great swim. And I couldn't encourage more to take part in it as you will love it.

As usual I've gone on a writing rant and have probably missed out on other important points. But I'm sure the other lads will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Thanks for the feedback, Mad M. I think this is something we're definitely going to look into. To swim the Liffey i'd say is unreal. Just to be going by the famous landmarks.

I might get in contact with the Clontarf Swimming club to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭2old4dacold

just a quick question . . . . are Leinster Open events confined to members of Leinster clubs or will affiliation to any Swim Ireland club suffice?

• Advertisement

will affiliation to any Swim Ireland club suffice?

Afaik that will do. As long as your a member of Swim Ireland through your Club you are sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

check out www.atlantissc.org they cater for all levels of swimmers theyv national champions down to beginner tri athletes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Granty71

Hi...
    Great thread.

I'm mad to get in and compete in some OW swims. Some great advice, Mad M!

Joined a Masters Club very recently in the hopes of connecting with some people to go swimming with. I assume by joining a Masters Club, you are a member of SwimIreland?

Thanks – and see ye out there!
    Granty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

As long as you have paid ur si fees u r a never of swim ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

You need to get a competitive license from swim ireland talk to your coach he will get you sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Quick Question - If you are a member of a traithlon club rather than a swimming club, are you eligible to race in the Liffey Swim etc or does it need to be a swimming club ?

Ath36 wrote: »
    Quick Question - If you are a member of a traithlon club rather than a swimming club, are you eligible to race in the Liffey Swim etc or does it need to be a swimming club ?

You have to be registered with Swim Ireland through your swimming club also you need to qualify for the Liffey doing 4 open sea races in the Swim Leinster Calender.

Do you have a Swim Ireland card?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I went to a talk tonight on OW swims, ie the Liffey and the Channel Swim!

It was was a fantastic talk in fairness!!!! Still nervous though!!

do the 4 qualifying swims need to be completed before the application cut-off date or before the day of the swim?

ie - can you be accepted for entry pending completion of the qualifying swims?

do the 4 qualifying swims need to be completed before the application cut-off date or before the day of the swim?

ie - can you be accepted for entry pending completion of the qualifying swims?

You qualify for 4 swims up to the date of cut off...So if you have 3 done and on the 12th of August you do the Island swim on the 12th of August you qualify, after the swim you give them your entry form and money....Anything after that you won't be allowed swim in Liffey. But to be honest I'd try and qualify before that because the way the weather can be, if The Island swim was your last swim to qualify and it was cancelled etc....I have 3 done so far so nearly there.:)

Its because they have to organize your handicap, plus hat,plus timing chip (if they are doing it this year) also on the Thursday before race they normally have the collecting of hats and tee-shirts down at the sports center in Ringsend.

Also note its going to be much shorter this year because of the bridge they are building at Eden Quay, they are having the start down near the Customs house down towards the east link...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 swimmerniall

Hi MOnkey9 and co - that was probably the talk we did. As a follow on from it, a few of us from Dublin Swimming Club will be in Seapoint tonight Wednesday from 6.30 or so and are bringing out some folks interested in learning about sea races, might be of interest more info on www.dublinswimmingclub.ie (site was having problems but you are welocme to come along) Weather is warm so it shouold be nice. ANother club are having a race tomorrow at nearby Windsurfers so if you aren't into the soccer ye could take a look there.

Just a word of caution,the Bobby Nolan swim and
    The Island swim have been pulled from the calendar. So if your looking to qualify for Liffey before the cut off point I'd get swimming soon. More info at link

link

Lee Swim this weekend now counts as a qualifier

Lee Swim this weekend now counts as a qualifier

Good luck with Lee Swim on Saturday 2old4dacold...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Hi guys just a heads up, there are 3 swims this bank holiday weekend so get busy that weekend and you only have to to one more before the cut off date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Anybody know if the island swim is still going ahead on Sunday despite been removed from the calendar? The other Clontarf swim went ahead regardless. Thanks.

Anybody know if the island swim is still going ahead on Sunday despite been removed from the calendar? The other Clontarf swim went ahead regardless. Thanks.

I heard the Bobby Nolan swim didn't go ahead, I know the person who won the cup last year and he was returning it only to be told to hold onto it for next year.why not give Brian Nolan a ring to see, his number is on the left handside of swim calendar of the Island race...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭swimgal

Anyone know know what time the Liffey Swim is starting at on Sat?

swimgal wrote: »
    Anyone know know what time the Liffey Swim is starting at on Sat?

Men's 11:15 & ladies 12:15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Best of luck to all the swimmers, with all the rain forecast for this week, should be a very fast flow on the river for the ladies race. Don't miss the finish ladies, only one chance of getting it right !

Secman

how did it go?

how did it go?

Ah went ok, I died a death, blew up to quick. Should know from past experience to go out steady and build up....There was a great flow and if you view results, the A and B swimmers got up plus a few off on a min...The winner was off at B...Delighted for John Pickering to get 5th.

Congrats to Tom Loftus and Clodagh Nolan...

Lovely day for it all the same....Roll on the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Race, now thats a tester....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Yea a great race I thought. Went pretty smoothly and as pointed out there was a great flow.

I had the opposite problem where I didn't go hard enough soon enough and before I knew it the race was over.

I was looking at the results and I'm down as about 90 places better than I actually done, I think my handicap is gonna hurt for the rest of the races!

slinky2000 wrote: »

I was looking at the results and I'm down as about 90 places better than I actually done, I think my handicap is gonna hurt for the rest of the races!

I was the opposite, got in ahead of a few people but on results I'm down 20 places from them..:D

Bit of a dicky stomach today, couldn't help but swallow a bit of Liffey on Saturday . Unless you got up top ten, then your handicap will be fine..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

Delighted to hear John Pickering picked up 5th place, still can't figure out how he swims without goggles ! Hope to see a few faces this weekend at Wicklow, my annual swim at this stage.

Secman

Advertisement