Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copper wire

• 01-08-2015 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭

Quick question, i have a lot of copper wire, is there any good reason why copper wire cant be used to make coils?
    I've heard of somebody using it but i'm a bit nervous about trying it myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Copper is an excellent conducter, which offers no resistance(?) therefore no heat.

No heat, no clouds.

I maybe wrong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Search 'copper toxicity'.

Also, when copper's heated it creates copper oxide. Search 'copper oxide toxicity'.

Even if you want to test the waters of Alzheimer's or Wilson's disease or cirrhosis of the liver, it's far too conductive - you'd need two meters of 0.2mm wire for a 1ohm coil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

grindle wrote: »
    Search 'copper toxicity'.

Also, when copper's heated it creates copper oxide. Search 'copper oxide toxicity'.

Even if you want to test the waters of Alzheimer's or Wilson's disease or cirrhosis of the liver, it's far too conductive - you'd need two meters of 0.2mm wire for a 1ohm coil.

Does that make it any worse than Nickel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It corrodes very quickly which creates copper oxide even without being heated and copper oxide is particularly toxic, so I'd say yes.

Nickel's not the best in fairness but it's slow to corrode, the quantities measured in vapour are below safety limits, and if I was weighing up the lists of illnesses the inhalation of either metal might cause I'd side with nickel if I had to choose between them.

I'm still not 100% convinced about nickel. I'd certainly like to see more tests before jumping in to the TC world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I'm still not 100% convinced about nickel. I'd certainly like to see more tests before jumping in to the TC world.

I've temperature control and i never use it(yet).
    The nickel is completely different from the kanthal

macker33 wrote: »
    I've temperature control and i never use it(yet).
    The nickel is completely different from the kanthal

Nickel can (under the right conditions) give off nickel carbonyl, which is a toxic and carcinogenic gas. My question is whether this can happen in vaping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I'd say the right conditions would be something like a long dry burn at 100w.
    Like that test they did in japan that caused the big vaping is bad for you song and dance last year.

Advertisement