Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Swimming - Cardio

Options
  • 01-04-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

so I've decided to take the plunge :P and bet back in the pool.

I have a good technique I think coming from a childhood of swimming 4 days a week, but nothing extrordinary.

My motivation is mainly to do some exercise and an exercise I like.

I've just turned 25 and am a 6'1" guy and weigh 76kg so weight loss isn't my goal as you can guess.

I could fairly easily I think get in a pool and do 1.5km in about 45 minutes (as I used to do about 3 years ago in college) to give you an idea of my standard, but feel i need to stress myself a bit to achieve the cardio workout I desire - is this right?

Could anyone suggest a good regime to begin with, something I could try and see how well I cope.

Also, how often per week should I be looking at going? I was thinking about 3 times per week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday or something like that.

What sort of long-term goal should I set myself, or some targets perhaps?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Sounds like you're in reasonable condition and have probably have decent enough technique. I'd recommend if you can get a one on one session with a Swim Ireland coach that would probably be enough to sort you out and get you going. Personally, I'd say start at three sessions a week but quite low distance 500-600m, just to be sure you have the base fitness to last three sessions a week. It's easy to blast out one hard long session, it's a lot more difficult to go back two days later and do the same so start off easy and work it up. Try to build up to doing about 6k a week, say 1500 to 2k per session. The important thing is to vary your sessions, so you don't get stuck in a rut. Interval sessions are probably the best way to go,check out http://swimming.about.com/od/aboutsswimworkouts/a/swimworkout1.htm for some sample sessions. Try to vary between short distance workouts, say 200m warmup, 9x 50 at your time +15s, 6x100 at your time+20 sec, 6x50 at your time +20s, then warm down. Then try longer distance, say 6 x200m, and also a drills session. There are loads of sessions out on the web if you go looking for them - you'll start to get a feel for what works for you when you play around. Good luck and most of all -enjoy yourself!

Advertisement