Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swimming Program to improve fitness

• 19-08-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

ive no level of fitness at all and i wont to use swimming as a tool to get fit.

can anyone direct me to a program that sets a goal of being able to swim x amount of meters by x time starting at zero level of fitness?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What id recommend is plenty of freestyle maybe have a break after 10laps get a drink of water then change to 10laps breaststroke, etc then backcrawl? Start off slowly as swimming is indeed tough and when you start to slack off you will noice it big time. As you start off and gain confidence/better your technique you can then increase your laps that you do and the intensity of your workout. Also dont be afraid to change your routine like perhaps one day do breaststroke only etc then other days just backcrawl then other days all of the above. I find that changing my routine keeps me interested.

Keep yourself well hydrated by drinking plenty of water.

Just a thought.

Kindest Regards,

Dave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

not sure if this is much help
    but what im doing at the moment is swim 2 laps on my front then swim 2 laps on my back, then 2 on my front and so on.
    i dont really stop for a break or if i do its not too long.
    i hurt my knee and cant run or cycle but after i week of the above i certainly felt sharper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

The hardest part is the start. Once you do that, you will get into a routine in no time.

Start off by going to the pool and swimming 10 laps (500 metres) Make sure you do a minimum of 2 laps (100m) without stopping. They can be any mixture of font crawl, breast stroke, back or butterfly.

Next time you hit the pool, you need to swim a minimum of 12 laps doing 3 non stop. Rinse and repeat this, hitting the swimming pool at least every second day, i.e. you are going 7 times in two weeks. After two weeks, you will be already just over the 1km mark

When you hit the 1km mark, I'd start to concentrate on dong more and more front crawl. So lets, say out of the 20 laps you were doing, you did 6 front crawl, 6 back stroke and 8 breast stoke, change that up to 10 front crawl, 5 back and 5 breast. Keep goign in that direction until you are doing the full 1km in front crawl and non stop!!

From there, continue to increase your distance evey time you swim

You should keep a log of each swim to chart your progress and I'd also recommend that you get a pair of paddles

73312_9197.JPG

They are only about 20 quid and can help with both your stroke technique and building up your stamina. Note : You really want to be doing 10 laps non stop as a warm up before using these as you will certainly feel the fact that you are wearing them :)

GL with the fitness plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭zardette

Lao Lao wrote: »
    I'd also recommend that you get a pair of paddles

73312_9197.JPG

They are only about 20 quid and can help with both your stroke technique and building up your stamina. Note : You really want to be doing 10 laps non stop as a warm up before using these as you will certainly feel the fact that you are wearing them :)

GL with the fitness plan!

I would suggest not to use paddles unless you get the advice and the help of a couch/buddy who know how to use them and get advice on the correct size. There are many padlles out there and many are used for different strokes etc... If they are used in the wrong way they can lead to very bad shoulder and neck pains ! and btw 20 is a bit much for these more like 12 is all you should pay!:cool:

Advertisement