17-05-2021, 22:33   #1
Mascher

What to use to treat a new garden bench

I've a new garden bench made up and it's treated wood but I need to use a treatment to protect it. It will be outdoor, out of direct sun and wind but in a fairly damp area. What would be the best treatment? Would something like Ronseal Hardwood Furniture Stain do the job? I have a decking stain in the shed that I like the colour of would that work? I looked at Teak Oil but id have to keep applying that twice a year so not sure of that's a good option for me.

Looking for it to look good and to last. Not sure if it's hardwood or softwood.

Pictures below
http://imgur.com/gallery/eRJ9eVx
Advertisement
17-05-2021, 23:07   #2
fred funk }{

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascher View Post
I've a new garden bench made up and it's treated wood but I need to use a treatment to protect it. It will be outdoor, out of direct sun and wind but in a fairly damp area. What would be the best treatment? Would something like Ronseal Hardwood Furniture Stain do the job? I have a decking stain in the shed that I like the colour of would that work? I looked at Teak Oil but id have to keep applying that twice a year so not sure of that's a good option for me.

Looking for it to look good and to last. Not sure if it's hardwood or softwood.

Pictures below
http://imgur.com/gallery/eRJ9eVx
I used Danish oil and it looks great. Its a mix of oil and varnish so fully water proof.
Thanks from:
17-05-2021, 23:13   #3
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred funk }{ View Post
I used Danish oil and it looks great. Its a mix of oil and varnish so fully water proof.
Oil can potentially ruin your clothes. Outdoor paint probably better - many benches come with a treatment on them already.What did the seller say?
17-05-2021, 23:17   #4
fred funk }{

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
Oil can potentially ruin your clothes. Outdoor paint probably better - many benches come with a treatment on them already.What did the seller say?

It dries like varnish so nothing is coming off it.

Seller?
17-05-2021, 23:33   #5
Mascher

Quote:
Ye I like Danish oil, but I don't think it lasts too long outdoors so I'd need to reapply every year or so. Will consider it though
Advertisement
17-05-2021, 23:34   #6
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
It was made up in a back shed and I was just told to treat it with something to protect it. There's no treatment currently on it although its pressure treated timber
18-05-2021, 04:22   #7
Lumen

That's standard pressure treated construction timber.

You can use Seasonite now and then next year Net-Trol and Textrol, and then more Textrol every other year.

https://www.owatrol.ie/product/seasonite/
Thanks from:
18-05-2021, 07:09   #8
deadlybuzzman

My girlfriend was sold creocote to treat her bench. Apart from the smell there's still some of it rubbing off, will it eventually soak in and not end up marking clothes?
She doesn't like the look of it and is thinking of painting over it, will she need to apply some kind of primer 1st?
18-05-2021, 07:45   #9
Dempo1

Fab bench, personally I'd use a light wood stain that absorbs into the wood and finish with a wood oil using a cloth to rub in.

I suggest a stain as opposed to paint because you will face serious peeling of pain eventually and it's a nightmare to sand where as stains tend to just fade requiring a light sanding.

Seperately I have a decorative bench not used alot for sitting on and I use an amazing product called CREOCOTE, this essentially acts like a stain and waterproofs wood, it literally bounces water off waterever coated with it and lasts depending on exposure, up to two year's. It just fades and does not peel. This product could be used on a bench used for seating but it's a petroleum based liquid and requires a period of drying out, preferably in direct sunlight. Also can either be rolled on or use masonry type paint brush. It comes in light or dark brown and very inexpensive, link below.

https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/prod...eocote/9015610
Advertisement
18-05-2021, 07:52   #10
finbarrk

Quote:
Any recommendation of a manufacturer of the Danish oil product? There seems to be a good selection out there.
18-05-2021, 08:59   #11
fred funk }{

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarrk View Post
Any recommendation of a manufacturer of the Danish oil product? There seems to be a good selection out there.
Depends on how much you want to spend but I bought the cheaper stuff from screwfix.
18-05-2021, 09:41   #12
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempo1 View Post
Fab bench, personally I'd use a light wood stain that absorbs into the wood and finish with a wood oil using a cloth to rub in.

I suggest a stain as opposed to paint because you will face serious peeling of pain eventually and it's a nightmare to sand where as stains tend to just fade requiring a light sanding.

Seperately I have a decorative bench not used alot for sitting on and I use an amazing product called CREOCOTE, this essentially acts like a stain and waterproofs wood, it literally bounces water off waterever coated with it and lasts depending on exposure, up to two year's. It just fades and does not peel. This product could be used on a bench used for seating but it's a petroleum based liquid and requires a period of drying out, preferably in direct sunlight. Also can either be rolled on or use masonry type paint brush. It comes in light or dark brown and very inexpensive, link below.

https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/prod...eocote/9015610
I don't like the creotate stuff so will be avoiding it.

I thought it was a bad idea to apply oil over a stain?
18-05-2021, 09:51   #13
Dempo1

Quote:
I don't like the creotate stuff so will be avoiding it.

I thought it was a bad idea to apply oil over a stain?
The creocote is pretty strong stuff in fairness, so understandable your concerns.

Re oil on stain, No, I have solid teak windows and doors on an extension I did about ten years ago. I treat the frames when need arises on more exposed areas and lightly sand, put on Trak wood stain, allow a few days drying and rub in Teak oil. It's more a personal approach but depending on weather fading etc, Teak oil on its own perfectly fine.
(2) thanks from:
18-05-2021, 14:38   #14
Mascher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
That's standard pressure treated construction timber.

You can use Seasonite now and then next year Net-Trol and Textrol, and then more Textrol every other year.

https://www.owatrol.ie/product/seasonite/
Do you think it's pine?
18-05-2021, 14:44   #15
Lumen

Quote:
Do you think it's pine?
No, spruce.

edit: pine is called "red deal" in Ireland
http://www.dhtimber.ie/red-deal-softwood

Last edited by Lumen; 18-05-2021 at 14:47.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion