Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with pronounciation please.

Options
  • 02-12-2008 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if I am right with the pronounciation of the following names....

Aoibheann agus Aoibhin (fada on second i, sorry it wouldn't work!)

I think its ee-veen?? Am I right or wrong?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Depends on where you're living! Ulster pronunciation can be "Aw veen". "Ee veen" is more common everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 carrie4

Thanks for quick response Deemark! I'm in Midlands so Ee-veen prob good for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Ee-veen for me also.

Actually, Aoibhinn Ní Shuilleabháin for me. Please. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

deemark wrote: »
    Depends on where you're living! Ulster pronunciation can be "Aw veen". "Ee veen" is more common everywhere else.

I have to say that in all my contact with Ulster Irish (including being taught by more than one native speaker from Donegal) I have never encountered such a thing. Can you give us a bit more evidence to back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

carrie4 wrote: »
    I would be very grateful if someone could tell me if I am right with the pronounciation of the following names....

Aoibheann agus Aoibhin (fada on second i, sorry it wouldn't work!)

I think its ee-veen?? Am I right or wrong?:)

To stick a fada on a letter use the AltGr key (it should be to the right of your space bar) so AltGr + e gives é for example. To capitalise a letter use AltGr + Shift + letter so AltGr + Shift + e gives É.

Looking at what you've written the first name to me would sound like 'Heaven' without the 'h' or 'Divan' without the 'd'. The second one I think should be spelt 'Aoibhínn'. The only Aoibhinn I know leaves out the fada as she maintains it's hard enough to get people to spell/pronounce her name correctly to begin with :). It's pronounce 'Ay' (as in hay) 'veen' (which you had correct. I actually don't know how you are pronouncing the 'ee' in your post so apologies if I've told you something you already know.

The above is derived from Irish as spoken in Galway, it may not apply to other areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement