Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jamie Carragher: Spitting and suspension from Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some Liverpool fans making a show of themselves here. Can’t say I’m surprised given what I’ve read on this forum over the years.

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is there an element of schadenfreude because of who it is? Yes, and I simply don’t care. It’s still a scummy act, it genuinely disgusted me and I’m entitled to voice my opinion.

The “It’s disgusting but...” brigade or the “Whabou Cantona” crew would want to take a look in the mirror before having a go at anyone else. It’s just disgusting... no buts... no whataboutery.

You mean how you did to all of the Liverpool supporters in the post of yours that I quoted? There’s no way you can be that ironic unintentionally. As you said, it’s just disgusting, no need to add in a hateful post about us while digging up the past. Keep shooting yourself in the foot, by all means.

Anyway, I’m out. There’s no way posting anything in here could end well when people are on the wind up like this. It’s clear to most that this thread has little to do with the actions of one man in the eyes of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

martyos121 wrote: »
    You mean how you did to all of the Liverpool supporters in the post of yours that I quoted? There’s no way you can be that ironic unintentionally. As you said, it’s just disgusting, no need to add in a hateful post about us while digging up the past. Keep shooting yourself in the foot, by all means.

Anyway, I’m out. There’s no way posting anything in here could end well when people are on the wind up like this. It’s clear to most that this thread has little to do with the actions of one man in the eyes of some.

What are you on about? You probably think you have a point there but you don’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The guy chasing him is stunningly cretinous. Breathtaking level of dickishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Very dissapointed in Carragher. Spitting at some is very low, and with a young girl in the car? He should have thicker skin then to get so riled up by some idiotic fan. Won't be surprised if he's cost himself his job.

He was a professional athlete, and used to this kind of thing. It should've rolled right off his back.

3039186.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The guy chasing him is stunningly cretinous. Breathtaking level of duckishness.

I kinda wanna make fun of "duckishness" but I know spelling related humour is controversial for Pool fans :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

elefant wrote: »
    He was a professional athlete, and used to this kind of thing. It should've rolled right off his back.

3039186.jpg

I can’t understand people saying “ah he was goaded”. Not really. He in his 40s for Christ sake. He’s getting a bit of stick over a football game.

The best yer man could do is start waving at Carragher if he keeps his window up. He wouldn’t even be able to hear him. It’s not like he was getting personal abuse either from the video - he was getting a bit of stick over a football game.

The dad was obviously irresponsible but Carragher is beyond stupid for not waving it away or driving off. To then spit just makes it 100 times worse.

Carragher is immature to react to it at all and his behaviour is scummy to react to it by spitting.

And by taking his eyes off the road to lean over and spit like that, Carragher was also endangering other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I blame Suarez and his introducing Merseyside to different cultures, greetings and terms of endearment. Maybe in some cultures spitting on kids is a greeting.

What has that got to do with the incident at hand? Your usually a good poster but that's just a stupid post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I can’t understand people saying “ah he was goaded”. Not really. He in his 40s for Christ sake. He’s getting a bit of stick over a football game.

The best yer man could do is start waving at Carragher if he keeps his window up. He wouldn’t even be able to hear him. It’s not like he was getting personal abuse either from the video - he was getting a bit of stick over a football game.

The dad was obviously irresponsible but Carragher is beyond stupid for not waving it away or driving off. To then spit just makes it 100 times worse.

Carragher is immature to react to it at all and his behaviour is scummy to react to it by spitting.

And by taking his eyes off the road to lean over and spit like that, Carragher was also endangering other road users.

Exactly. When i read about it I thought the dad had abused Carragher and he reacted. Watched the video and he says something along the lines of Hey Jamie Lad, 2-1. Hardly the height of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Scumbag, simple as.

This guy played for Liverpool for 20 years, hes been goaded a million times as have most footballers by braindead supporters.

Is that an excuse to spit in a random childs face? Will ye ever **** off

• Advertisement

Exactly. When i read about it I thought the dad had abused Carragher and he reacted. Watched the video and he says something along the lines of Hey Jamie Lad, 2-1. Hardly the height of abuse.

That's what was shown in the video. There could have been lots more said that the driver edited to get the greatest effect.

Carragher should be punished and the father should be given points and a fine for dangerous driving.

The only innocent person here is the daughter who seems to be the one who was worst effected.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's what was shown in the video. There could have been lots more said that the driver edited to get the greatest effect.

Carragher should be punished and the father should be given points and a fine for dangerous driving.

The only innocent person here is the daughter who seems to be the one who was worst effected.

How bad could it have been to justify that response though? And ultimately, what Carragher reacted to was stick over the game, not what went before.

There was nothing stopping him from not engaging. It’s not like he was on the street and couldn’t get away from his “abuser”.

What he did is indefensible.

It also could have been just more of the same, let’s not invent scenarios. Regardless of what was said, a closed window and he hears nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Struggling to see what the Cantona incident has to do with this.

Carragher spat at some United fans 2 days ago.

Ya but Cantona kicked a fan over 20 years ago.

:confused:

You can bet your bottom dollar if it were Neville doing it to LFC fans the exact same reaction would be coming from LFC fans.

Or of it were Henry to Chelsea fans.

Or any ex player to any set of fans.

It was a disgusting act and anyone that tries to twist it with whataboutery should really take a look at themselves.

How bad could it have been to justify that response though? And ultimately, what Carragher reacted to was stick over the game, not what went before.

There was nothing stopping him from not engaging. It’s not like he was on the street and couldn’t get away from his “abuser”.

What he did is indefensible.

He could have been following him for 10 miles up the road, he could have been abusing him because he's from Liverpool, he could have been swerving his car at Carraghers car. It could have been anything.

It doesn't condone what Carragher did but nobody knows exactly what happened.

The father was very irresponsible. He wasn't concentrating on the road, was shouting out his window and using his mobile while driving. He could have very easily caused a major car accident.

The child is the only victim here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

As s United fan I am not a huge Carragher fan by any means. But kirsty Gallagher collected her kids at 9am in the morning 3 times over the legal limit and kept her job.

I think what Carragher did was disgusting but he should keep his job.

• TitianGerm wrote: »
    He could have been following him for 10 miles up the road, he could have been abusing him because he's from Liverpool, he could have been swerving his car at Carraghers car. It could have been anything.

The father was very irresponsible. He wasn't concentrating on the road, was shouting out his window and using his mobile while driving. He could have very easily caused a major car accident.

You are still speculating to be fair. Surely you should just use the evidence in front of you.
    Carragher reacted and done a disgusting thing and the father driving the car shouldn't have been on his phone with his child in the back.
    He was goading him saying '2-1'.
    Carragher surely should know better and then to stoop so low.
    And that's it really.

Ah stop. The dad was irresponsible no question but what the video shows is that Carragher reacted to a bit of stick over a game. If he was getting such vile abuse or being endangered earlier, why didn’t he react then? Why did something so innocuous ultimately set him off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Carragher totally in the wrong.

Horrible thing to do. He and the father do not come out of this video well. But Carra should be well used to wind ups and know better.

Fail to see what it has to with Liverpool as he retired 5 years ago or how it 2 or 3 posters here represent all Liverpool fans.

I don't get how people think being associated with a particular club means that you can expect or be above good or bad human behaviour.

• Advertisement

jk23 wrote: »
    As s United fan I am not a huge Carragher fan by any means. But kirsty Gallagher collected her kids at 9am in the morning 3 times over the legal limit and kept her job.

I think what Carragher did was disgusting but he should keep his job.

Ive given Carragher some stick over this but you’re right. What Gallagher did was much worse. The problem is that, rightly or wrongly, she wasn’t caught on camera and that always has an awful lot more impact on public opinion.

I've never warmed to Carragher, and think that his 'everyman' schtick may mask a bullying personality (google 'fat Russell Crowe's son'). He has let himself down big time here.

However I could also hear the cogs moving in the father's mind at the end of the video. Nice piece of business for him, although I hope he eventually got round to asking if his daughter was okay

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You are still speculating to be fair. Surely you should just use the evidence in front of you.
    Carragher reacted and done a disgusting thing and the father driving the car shouldn't have been on his phone with his child in the back.
    He was goading him saying '2-1'.
    Carragher surely should know better and then to stoop so low.
    And that's it really.

Of course I'm speculating, same as everyone else as the full video has not been released. We simply don't know the full story and we are unlikely to either.

Was the child in the front or back because I've seen reports of both now?

Of course I'm speculating, same as everyone else as the full video has not been released. We simply don't know the full story and we are unlikely to either.

Was the child in the front or back because I've seen reports of both now?

Is there a full video?

Ah stop. The dad was irresponsible no question but what the video shows is that Carragher reacted to a bit of stick over a game. If he was getting such vile abuse or being endangered earlier, why didn’t he react then? Why did something so innocuous ultimately set him off?

The straw that broke the camel's back maybe? I don't know to be honest but I do know there's a point when everyone can't take anymore.

The straw that broke the camel's back maybe? I don't know to be honest but I do know there's a point when everyone can't take anymore.

That point shouldn’t be “2-1 Jamie lad”. If you’re 40 years old and it is, take a long look in the mirror.

• Advertisement

Is there a full video?

Well you'd assume there's more.

I don't think any footballer would react that quick to the 'banter' shown after years of much worse on the pitch.

I just feel were not getting the full story.

Like I said though both Carragher and the father were wrong.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Carragher totally in the wrong.

Horrible thing to do. He and the father do not come out of this video well. But Carra should be well used to wind ups and know better.

Fail to see what it has to with Liverpool as he retired 5 years ago or how it 2 or 3 posters here represent all Liverpool fans.

I don't get how people think being associated with a particular club means that you can expect or be above good or bad human behaviour.

Who said it did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Scumbag thing to do. Regardless of what the dad did. And could he not see that the guy was recording? Seriously? Jamie has let himself down a bagful and will likely lose his job.

On the other hand, that dad is a complete prick. From the reckless driving in an attempt to wind up Carragher, to his absolute delight that his daughter had been spat on because he knew just how much more juicy the footage had become. Disgusting guy.

Well you'd assume there's more.

I don't think any footballer would react that quick to the 'banter' shown after years of much worse on the pitch.

I just feel were not getting the full story.

Like I said though both Carragher and the father were wrong.

Still all speculation. Like I could challange you by saying that how do you know Carragher wouldn't be the type of footballer to react this way.

Anyway, going to be really interesting to see wtf they do with MNF this evening...

Still all speculation. Like I could challange you by saying that how do you know Carragher wouldn't be the type of footballer to react this way.

Anyway, going to be really interesting to see wtf they do with MNF this evening...

I doubt he'll be on MNF tonight. He probably won't be back until after the international break.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that by far and away the scummiest behaviour in the entire incident was the guy who spat in the childs face.
    You would think so, wouldn't you?
    Yet we have deflection, whataboutery, giving out about "other fans" and all the rest.
    Carragher is lucky the father was quite such a bellend because if it were my daughter he spat on there would've been a serious incident involving several emergency services.
    He did something completely scummy and it's a bugbear of mine. I hope he's charged for this act of scumbaggery. The father will likely get done and all but I don't know him, I'm more interested in the squeaky clean lad I see on Sky all the time getting comeupance for what he did.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Scummy thing to do, no matter what the circumstance.

I'm quite surprised to be honest. You'd imagine someone like Carragher, who is in the public eye would be used to dealing with that sort of "banter" on a regular basis, and would be able to deal with it without losing the plot. Lets face it, "hey Jamie, 2-1" isn't exactly something that should provoke that sort of reaction. Says a lot about Carragher as a person unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Newstalk had it as a sports bulletin earlier

lol

dopes

cournioni wrote: »

I'm quite surprised to be honest. You'd imagine someone like Carragher, who is in the public eye would be used to dealing with that sort of "banter" on a regular basis, and would be able to deal with it without losing the plot. Lets face it, "hey Jamie, 2-1" isn't exactly something that should provoke that sort of reaction. Says a lot about Carragher as a person unfortunately.
    As I always wonder about **** like this, if he'll do that on camera what will he do in private?

As I always wonder about **** like this, if he'll do that on camera what will he do in private?

I doubt he realised he was on camera. If he did, he’s a complete f**king tool.

You would think so, wouldn't you?
    Yet we have deflection, whataboutery, giving out about "other fans" and all the rest.
    Carragher is lucky the father was quite such a bellend because if it were my daughter he spat on there would've been a serious incident involving several emergency services.
    He did something completely scummy and it's a bugbear of mine. I hope he's charged for this act of scumbaggery. The father will likely get done and all but I don't know him, I'm more interested in the squeaky clean lad I see on Sky all the time getting comeupance for what he did.

What would you done? Rammed him off the road?

I don't think Carragher has ever been portrayed as a squeaky clean lad.

What would you done? Rammed him off the road?

I don't think Carragher has ever been portrayed as a squeaky clean lad.
    Probably wouldn't succeed in getting him off the road, his car is big :pac: I'd be hoping for him to get out of the car. One of us wouldn't be standing at the end of it and I'm a piece of ****. :P Almost had the Gardai involved for my reaction to someone spitting on me way back in primary school, it's an all-bets-are-off situation for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

cournioni wrote: »

I'm quite surprised to be honest.

Its really surprising, I would have assumed that these media guys would all have been extensively schooled on the fact that they will be in the public eye and that one little slip could end their career right there and then.

Its an age where footballers put their hands over their mouth before speaking to a teammate on the pitch, where numerous commentators have been sacked for one ill advised comment, a world of mobile phones and social media where you have to assume at all times that your indiscretion is being filmed and that it will be online before you even get home and calmed down.

I would have thought these high profile footballers and media guys would have it beaten into them not to react to any of these morons hurling abuse, I guess the United victory really got under his skin that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

lawred2 wrote: »
    Newstalk had it as a sports bulletin earlier

lol

dopes

I'm sure the Bastian's of Virtue Joe Molloy and Richie McCormack will have a one hour special on it for Off The Ball. Obviously using their "Concerned" Voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who said it did?

Well the two examples below, one from yourself are having a pop at Liverpool fans in my opinion.
    Vile act.

The state of Liverpool fans trying to defend/deflect away from what he did.

"But that dad was recording and driving!!!111"
    Some Liverpool fans making a show of themselves here. Can’t say I’m surprised given what I’ve read on this forum over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus, it's not like the soccer forum to go all tabloid sensationalism..............

From the thread title onward ffs. There's no excuse for spitting but he didn't "spit in a child's face" he spat at a car she was in. He was far more likely to have hit himself than her.

People calling for him to be arrested for assault, **** sake. Lucky he didn't shake his first out the window or lads would be calling it abh.

Jesus, it's not like the soccer forum to go all tabloid sensationalism..............

From the thread title onward ffs. There's no excuse for spitting but he didn't "spit in a child's face" he spat at a car she was in. He was far more likely to have hit himself than her.

People calling for him to be arrested for assault, **** sake. Lucky he didn't shake his first out the window or lads would be calling it abh.
    Is this a meta joke about him scoring own goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Guy has to be let go by sky disgusting act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

No excuse for it and say that as a Liverpool fan. With all the media training he's received I'm amazed he let that happen on camera, so can only assume the red mist descended and wasn't thinking.

Glad he apologised so quickly.

Have to laugh at one or two heads in here though who are well known and have been for years, having the neck to talk down to Liverpool fans about our "behaviour defending the indefensible" over the years. Dragging football rivalries into threads indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Zico ! wrote: »
    Guy has to be let go by sky disgusting act

Although I think its been blown out of all proportion as usual by the keyboard warriors, I do think he stands a chance of getting the sack because media companies hate negative publicity these days and Sky won't want him around if the campaign continues.

I expect to see an online petition soon to get him sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

The thread title would be a great name for his autobiography.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Its really surprising, I would have assumed that these media guys would all have been extensively schooled on the fact that they will be in the public eye and that one little slip could end their career right there and then.

I would presume he'd have a Code of Conduct clause in his contract, as would everyone working on Sky as an on screen personality.

I was only saying in the United thread the other day, I actually like him as a pundit. Him and G.Nev together make a good, balanced duo.

But whatever the other guy was doing, there's no excuse, when your a "celebrity", etc like he is, to do what he did. As Buck says, surely they'd have it drilled into them that this is not an acceptable way to behave.

I hope Sky dont sack him but won't be at all surprised if they do tbh.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well the two examples below, one from yourself are having a pop at Liverpool fans in my opinion.

Do you understand the meaning of the word some? I specifically said some because I didn’t mean all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

brevity wrote: »
    The threaf title would be a great name for his autobiography.

I've read his autobiography, he hates Everton a lot. That's all I really remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

People calling for him to be arrested for assault, **** sake.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q145.htm

Spitting deliberately on someone IS an assault according to the law. Its clear from the video that he deliberately spat at the driver. He presumably didn't intend to hit the girl in the back but I wouldn't be surprised to see him at least cautioned by the cops.

However I also hope that the dad is charged with driving without due care or something similar.

Advertisement