Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Berman and co really took Trek to a new low with that one. I’m delighted he’s nowhere near it these days. Discovery trumps anything he could do today

Evade wrote: »
    That was just the last Episode wasn't it?

Nope... Never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I don't think any future glimpses can be considered strictly canon which brings up uniforms. Do you think we'll get the solid colour top design seen in All Good Things and the Visitor's future segments or something new? I liked that style but all the designs since then, in actual time, have been much duller.

Some of it has already happened though.

1) the collapse of the Romulan Empire

2) the rise of the negh'var class Klingon battleship

3) Geordi not needing his vizor

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Some of it has already happened though.

1) the collapse of the Romulan Empire

2) the rise of the negh'var class Klingon battleship

3) Geordi not needing his vizor

Movie canon can feck right off.

What total fecking nonsense, how can a supernova (not of Romulan home star) really catch the Empire by surprise?

I think its still canon, and the future war will still happen. The spheres of the 22nd century were a desperate attempt by the sphere builders at victory.

Nope, they referenced the expansion of the Delphic Expance beyond the Ent time's location
    Archer collapsed it in his present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Movie canon can feck right off.

What total fecking nonsense, how can a supernova (not of Romulan home star) really catch the Empire by surprise?
    It's hard to move a whole planet.

I know a real supernova would take decades to cover even one lightyear but I can buy that Star Trek can have faster than light supernovae.

I know a real supernova would take decades to cover even one lightyear but I can buy that Star Trek can have faster than light supernovae.

It's symptomatic of JJ Verse, it could have been a rogue black hole or any other anomaly but had to go all silly

It's symptomatic of JJ Verse, it could have been a rogue black hole or any other anomaly but had to go all silly
    How would a rogue black hole be less silly? They should be aware of that coming too unless it was also moving faster than light. An FTL black hole and an FTL supernova are equally believable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe the destruction of Romulus is a blessing in disguise as it might finally be a narrative chance to demonstrate the point of an 'empire' in a Trek empire for once. All the races seem so heavily centralised, it's hard to imagine the Romulans - of all races - not having a backup planet to move the government to in case of emergency.

Sure, the empire probably took a hit and as a power the Romulans are presumably weakened, but again, I'd kinda expect an empire to struggle on.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Maybe the destruction of Romulus is a blessing in disguise as it might finally be a narrative chance to demonstrate the point of an 'empire' in a Trek empire for once. All the races seem so heavily centralised, it's hard to imagine the Romulans - of all races - not having a backup planet to move the government to in case of emergency.

Sure, the empire probably took a hit and as a power the Romulans are presumably weakened, but again, I'd kinda expect an empire to struggle on.
    It doesn't help that all these Empires are shown to be mono-species endeavours, Remans and the occupation of Bajor aside, that somehow rival the 100+ species Federation. Maybe without the central government on Romulus the former subjects overthrow the remaining Romulans.

How would a rogue black hole be less silly? They should be aware of that coming too unless it was also moving faster than light. An FTL black hole and an FTL supernova are equally believable.

It would depend on the size and if they were scanning but it would get much closer before detection. Also did you see the speeds the Sagittarius stars moved?? Sling shot a black hole out from a supermassive and they would be going high percentage of c.

Anyway there are many spatial anomalies they could have used or just not make the Romulans look inept at all.

It would depend on the size and if they were scanning but it would get much closer before detection. Also did you see the speeds the Sagittarius stars moved?? Sling shot a black hole out from a supermassive and they would be going high percentage of c.
    I didn't see the speed of the Sagittarius star so I looked it up 5,000km/s compared to a supernova's potential speed of 30,000km/s.
    Anyway there are many spatial anomalies they could have used or just not make the Romulans look inept at all.
    Yeah, they could have made up an anomaly but FTL supernova works as well as anything else.

Nope, they referenced the expansion of the Delphic Expance beyond the Ent time's location
    Archer collapsed it in his present

But they woukd stll have tge future battle, its only the 22nd century front that has been won. The temporal war still rages. That was my take from it.

Edit: Daniels did say the war was coming to an end. But if the war never happened, then season three or even Daniels never happened.

Temporal fcuking paradoxes

Unless the Supernova was no accident.....

It's still a Supernova with years notice.

The Star Empire would evacuate and be just fine.
    So I'm ignoring JJ movie canon, personally.

Also the films and series are still officially different entities

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nothing about the whole 2009 plot made any sense, and the reams of narrative convenience were almost as bad as the lazy Flash Gordon levels of sophistication with the astrophysics.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nothing about the whole 2009 plot made any sense, and the reams of narrative convenience were almost as bad as the lazy Flash Gordon levels of sophistication with the astrophysics.
    The funniest part was when Spock(?) said we can't just throw mass out the back of the Enterprise, or something to that effect, to escape the black hole except that's exactly how rockets work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

But they woukd stll have tge future battle, its only the 22nd century front that has been won. The temporal war still rages. That was my take from it.

Edit: Daniels did say the war was coming to an end. But if the war never happened, then season three or even Daniels never happened.

Temporal fcuking paradoxes

Daniels did say the war was coming to an end. But if the war never happened, then season three or even Daniels never happened.

Tell that to the crew of the Enterprise NX-O1. It happened for them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Daniels did say the war was coming to an end. But if the war never happened, then season three or even Daniels never happened.

Tell that to the crew of the Enterprise NX-O1. It happened for them.

Or the people of Earth who were attacked by the mini death star

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Inviere wrote: »
    J was shown in Enterprise, as a ship from the future. The Galaxy refit was shown in TNG as a possible future, with a side order of Q on the side. The J is definitely canon.

Memory Alpha says no!

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-J)
    It's still a Supernova with years notice.

The Star Empire would evacuate and be just fine.
    So I'm ignoring JJ movie canon, personally.

Also the films and series are still officially different entities

The (apparently canon?) companion comics to the 2009 film stated the nova was of an unusual type (subspace something something probably), and that the shockwave moved faster than light, and also intensified each time it destroyed something. The Romulan Senate refused to evacuate, as they did not trust Spock when he warned them about it. Romulan scientists considered the nova not to be a threat.

It'll be interesting to see if any part of the prime timeline elements are referenced. If not, they're unlikely to outright contradict them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not too surprising really, but Michael Dorn confirmed today at Comic Con that neither he, nor any other cast he talked to, has been asked about any part in this new series and the first they'd heard of it was at the Las Vegas convention. No huge surprise when they've got nothing more concrete than "Picard's in it" as an outline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

ixoy wrote: »
    Not too surprising really, but Michael Dorn confirmed today at Comic Con that neither he, nor any other cast he talked to, has been asked about any part in this new series and the first they'd heard of it was at the Las Vegas convention. No huge surprise when they've got nothing more concrete than "Picard's in it" as an outline.

They should probably have given them all a courtesy update on it, at least so that it wasn't news to them at the convention. The rumors were already flying so it's hard to see what harm that would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

With no script, no story, no plot, no filming dates, no characters chosen/written, and basically nothing other than Patrick Stewart in talks about how to pull this off, what exactly is there to tell them? If they're going to have a cameo role at some stage, they'll be offered the work in due course.

Yeah, it's way too early to presume any other affiliated actor would be spoken to: I daresay there's only a thumbnail sketch of what the story will be, certainly no sign of any writers room just yet. Heck the whole thing could yet fall apart if the scripts don't come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They should probably have given them all a courtesy update on it, at least so that it wasn't news to them at the convention. The rumors were already flying so it's hard to see what harm that would have done.

I'm sure Stewart was under instruction to keep quiet.

Also, Frakes at least was there on the day. Whether or not this was actually his first time hearing the news –

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1025996302167957504

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'm sure Stewart was under instruction to keep quiet.

Also, Frakes at least was there on the day. Whether or not this was actually his first time hearing the news –

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/1025996302167957504

I would say he had a fair idea. Why would he have been up on the stage otherwise? Maybe he will direct a few episodes or even be in it too. We will just have to wait and see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Frakes is, behind the scenes, a huge deal. I would not be surprised if he is involved in pulling it together.

• Advertisement

I'd be more surprised if Frakes didn't direct an episode or two; he seems more than happy to involve himself with Trek (or indeed, off brand Trek such as the Orville).

In fact the more I think of this show, the more I suspect it will mutate into a fan-fic style series of cameos: maybe that's not going to be the intention once the writers room gets together, but I could see CBS caving to fans to get them onboard.

Advertisement