Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

second life business

• 11-02-2009 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have a friend her boyfriend is a accountant but he is insisting on starting a second life business..hes got little or no tech background but is convinced he is going to make his fortune..
    he thinks this is the way forward dispite the fact it has been around a while.
    DISPITE ALL ADVICE AND OPINIONS.
    he claims he is 100% right
    is he ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CallieO

As an accountant is he opening up a virtual business premises to offer a link through to RL? Offering In World consultations?

SL can be used as a networking and communication tool. But as for making a fortune....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

i am not up to date on sl ..is he going to make money or is it just a promotional tool like snazzydirectory.ie or whatswhat.ie this kind of adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CallieO

Second Life is a virtual world where you have an avatar and can interract with other avatars.

Some early adopters have made money from advertising on regions they have created - there is a very realistic Dublin world there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I have a friend her boyfriend is a accountant but he is insisting on starting a second life business..hes got little or no tech background but is convinced he is going to make his fortune..
    he thinks this is the way forward dispite the fact it has been around a while.
    DISPITE ALL ADVICE AND OPINIONS.
    he claims he is 100% right
    is he ?

Let him at it. If he is a genuine entrepreneur, the lesson will serve him well and he'll go back at something else in the future with some valuable experience under his belt. I doubt he will lose a lot of money at it anyway, it's not like the start-up costs in second life are high!

not sure about the genuine entrepreneur, after all he is an accountant most are either black or white..

• Advertisement

not sure about the genuine entrepreneur, after all he is an accountant most are either black or white..

Well when can anyone answer that question, the whole thing is a journey more than a destination. If he isn't horsing a load of money into it, then he can only learn from the experience, be it good or bad...

yes thats true i guess but he is putting a lot of time into it and to him time is money ..and he believes we will make great gains from this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

To be honest hes a few years too late and has missed the bus, SL when it started was new to everyone and people saw it as a good means to advertise etc because of the amount of people checking it out but that day is gone, if hes putting a lot of time into it hoping to make money hes wasting his time, if hes just having a look it will be an experience but not a profitable one.

ok but whats the experience.. serious i mean in relation to what ???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Well you say he has little or no knowledge of technology so he will learn a bit about that, also he will learn about networking and using online networking methods. As regards income and his business making any money off it i firmly believe its a none runner.

• Advertisement

yeah hope he understands it ... seems he is hooked on second life .. i belive only money been made is in sex and gambling ;) maybe thats his secret

Axwell wrote: »
    To be honest hes a few years too late and has missed the bus, SL when it started was new to everyone and people saw it as a good means to advertise etc because of the amount of people checking it out but that day is gone, if hes putting a lot of time into it hoping to make money hes wasting his time, if hes just having a look it will be an experience but not a profitable one.

I'm no visionary but I can see in the future, the thinking behind Second Life being like a parrallel world to our own, where you put on a headset like a visor (like what Geordie La Forge wears in Star Trek!), and you go into a virtual internet world where you do your shopping and basically spend half your time. The technology just has to catch up!

boy do you need to get out more often ;) >>>(love the line I'm no visionary but I can see in the future;)>>>>) so you are going to live there as soon as the tech play catch up........could you not try fix this world before you create another one to feck up ,,,just an idea

Advertisement