Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange phobias

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

BUTTER IS THE WORST THING EVER!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Megsy

I have an absolutely horrible fear of veins! Someone posted a while back about not being able to look at or touch an area where your veins show and I'm just the same! I feel very nauseous when I see veins, especially very thick large ones.

I'm also very afraid of water. I'm afraid of what's underneath it. I always think something is going to grab me and pull me down if I'm swimming, I mean I genuinely get freaked out in the BATH! And I hate fish too so I actually can't go swimming in a lake or in the sea without nearly being reduced to tears.

I have another phobia which really, really bothers me. It's the fear that people can read my mind. I can be sitting in class or something someday and I'll look at someone and think something about them. It's usually just one of those really quick stupid thoughts that you don't really mean but that just pop into your head for whatever reason and when I think it I start worrying that they've somehow heard me and so I start apologising like mad in my head!

Oh and another thing, CLOWNS! Oh my god they're terrifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

ya one of my mates is terrified of butter and freaks out whenever its around and gags if someone trys to put some on him. Needless to same when baked or drunk we love to feed him sandwiches and rolls with loads of butter on them and he doesnt notice and complements how good they were:D when we tell him after he just goes nuts.

Another friend has that fear of veins more specifically wrists? I cant really understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BlueButterBean

Ive a phobia of blood tests.. Not needles though,its actually the blood being extracted from the vein that actually makes me faint..Its really horrible and the fact I've always wanted to be a nurse and work in a hospital at the moment doesnt help:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Ice pop sticks!

Eeww... Can't even touch them.

What is the actual name for this phobia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

im terrified by depth. The ocean is possibly the single scariest thing for me. Seeing things sink nearly causes me to faint. Especially if im looking at them from above or below.

Also butterflies. Im afraid that i will swallow them and they will choke me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VexedRed

I'm terrified of pregnant women. It's the bump, it's scary... It's often made worse when the mother-to-be has decided to wear a top so tight that you can see her sticky-outty belly button and practically see the foetus! Disgusting! Why? Just, why???
    Eugh....
    I turn away from them in the street, avoid dealing with them in my job, it's completely irrational but I think they're awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Mushrooms (mycophobia).

I can handle button mushrooms - working on a mushroom farm (it's a long story and I definitely was not eager to do it initially) helped with that. It's particularly shelf type mushrooms and, worst of all, puffballs.

Even seeing footage or photos of them makes me squirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My mother has a fear of vomiting (herself) she's always afraid of choking and works herself up.

I have a fear of ants (thanks to cambodia) (also 'cambodian cake' is a LIE), large crowds around me, fear of falling, don't like people messing with me on stairs, ooh I hate icepop sticks... ugh the thought of it touching my tongue (I have to be careful eating icecreams), the smell of money on my hands, and I used to not be able to touch metal hangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm terrified of styrofoam (you know the sheets of Aerobord you get in packaging?) - just the feel of it and the noise it makes when it rubs together... urrgg! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i dont know if its a phobia but squigy packs of ketchup / mayo (you know the ones you get on tables in pubs etc) FREAK me out, i cant touch them and most def cannot open them, cant even watch someone open them!!!
    i have a 6yr old, it gets embarrassing when iv to ask a stranger to open her ketchup!

i also cant eat yoghurts that i didnt buy myself and put in my own fridge and even then i have to eat them in my own house.

which has me thinking, it could be fear of gooey liquid in plastic?? lol
    any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Where to start, I really don’t like the fog, I can go out in it and stuff but would really prefer not to, for some reason I associate it with Jack the Ripper, have no idea why it most of been a book or a movie or something. Also not a big fan of snow especially when it stays on the ground, this has nothing to do with the snow itself and I know this may sound completely nuts but it’s the effect it has on sound. Everything sounds really muffled or something when it snows.

Also hate needles, I swear I can feel them in my skin, it’s terrible. Pigeons are another one, they are just awful.

The one that effects my life the most is barriers or fences that are at eye level and have spikes on them. Even typing that has made me come out in a cold sweat and feel very anxious, they all should be removed from our streets. I mean hello they are at eye level, I’m terrified that I’ll trip or someone will push me and a spike will go thorough my eye, I try to avoid walking past them but it is not always possible and sometimes I feel an irrational feeling come over me and I have to stop myself from getting on all fours and crawling past them. They really are a health and safety issue. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

Have a huge fear of tall people.

I've seen other people online talk about it, but no one I've ever talked to can understand where I'm coming from. I'm 5'8 and a half, and since I was about 4 or 5 anyone over 6'2 or 3, just sends me to hysterical crying, shaking. I feel like I want to physically hurt the person, as if I'm protecting myself. It takes me ages to calm down, but I won't if the person is still in the room. Tall men tend to have a greater affect than tall women but both are really frightening.

It started when I was really young, my sister's friend's dad was about 6'5 and I couldn't look at him, was never able to talk to him, just starting screaming and kicking. Everyone thought I was really rude.

Also have phobias about being assaulted (can't walk anywhere alone), insects - mostly wasps and flies, the sea, crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

me too im really afraid of buttrflies they are creepy oh and fish ezhh even the thought of them make me shudder and want to cry

ewwh fish *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rdow

Ladybirds, When I was a kid I was DRAGGED into a wheat field where the they had infested and they had layed a bajillion eggs and they were all hatching and were in my hair and my clothes and AH it was just so scary i can't even look at polka dots!! Then last year i was walking home from work by a park and all of a sudden there was hundreds of them everywhere it had happened again!! They're DISGUSTING, if a spider or frog or rat or something was bright red people would FREAK!! so why is a bright red beatle cute?

loyko_irl wrote: »
    I have absolutely no fear of spiders, insects or any animals, birds or fish for that matter - but ladybirds freak me out big time.

I know, I know, they're cute little fellas and they crawl on your hand but... when I was about two I was doing just this and then... nobody told me they were some weird alien creature... its body opened up, it grew a pair of wings and flew away.

Ever since then I've a fear of a ladybird opening up and flying away. Anyone have a similar fear?

What would I even call that fear?

AH omg I only seen this now!!! I thought I was alone!! THEY'RE DISGUSTING!! and then it became all fashionable to make kids films about bugs and they all had lady birds!!! And Mc Donalds had a stuffed lady bird toy, that was EVERYWHERE!!! and Dunnes have them all over the place coming up to Valentines so I cant go in!

miss.lost wrote: »
    I have a fear of collarbones? Is that strange?! Especially my own or anything touching it and also anybody elses! Think its the thought of it breaking maybe?

Oh and i forgot earlier, Hate tomato ketchup, i can smell it within a 100 foot radius and it always makes me gag

They gross me out a bit but i wouldnt have a phobia, I wouldnt let anyone touch mine though yuck.

I get a bit panicked when I'm in a car and it gets parked up on a kirb, it scares me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I have a friend who has a fear of gnomes. Don't know how it occured, but I respect her for it. If somebody has a fear of something, no matter how strange it may seem, nobody should mock or insult them. It's just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

is it just me or do people here tend to have multiple "phobias" and fears? It's rarely just one per person. Any reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

I have a phobia of socks for longer than I can remember. I can't wear them at all - it actually causes a shortness of breath if I put them on, almost like my whole body is being shoved in a sack. Can't explain it better than that. Anybody else have the same thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I have a phobia of death :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LeSageMignon

Apples! When I'm stressed this extends to most fruit. Icky, gooey, stinky rotting fruit :( The smell reminds me of schoolyard bins *shudder*

The bizarre thing is that I used to eat them as a kid but it's got progressively worse over the years. I have OCD too but it's been under control for years now, the apple thing is the only remnant of my madness ;)

Equally weird.... I love Bulmers! But if someone put an apple in the fridge I couldn't eat anything from that fridge. Just the smell or sight of an apple turns my stomach.

Also, I have to pretend I'm allergic to apples sometimes, otherwise waiters think I'm nuts if I ask "Are there any apples in that?"

I also don't fix crooked pictures, I'm a little worried they might trigger a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'm terrified of styrofoam (you know the sheets of Aerobord you get in packaging?) - just the feel of it and the noise it makes when it rubs together... urrgg! :eek:

OMG same!! lol

the sound actually sends shivers down my spine...can't touch it like!!

Epic win --> Ithyphallophobia - Fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis

....:D

A fear of thinking about something...like how?!? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I have a fear of unsecured heights.

And I have an irrational fear of balloons. Specifically the popping. *shudder* My heart starts racing if I see people with balloons on the street. If I'm in the same room as one I'll either remove myself from the room or if I can't I'll be very very uncomfortable and panicky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I'm carpophobic. I've a fear of wrists. They freak me out, and it's one of those phobias that people seem to find hilarious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

Not sure whether its falling or heights, i don't mind being up anywhere high, and sitting up there, but as soon as its time to get down i freak out and start bawling (Being a teenage doesn't help, as my mates seem to be permanently "hopping" some fence or another).

Is it falling or what is it?

Ty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Wild Rhubarb(big mthr fecker of a plant bigger than me) and Hogweed(irritant weed, grows everywhere). Had a skin condition when i was younger and many years later have a phobia. Completely stupid and hate myself for being afraid of these plants and weeds but i just am:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Dudess wrote: »
    Buttons is quite a famous one I think. I've also heard of baked beans, string and dolls. One particular one of interest for me is emetophobia - a fear of vomiting: http://www.emetophobia.com/.
    I can tick a fair few of those boxes...maybe it wasnt agoraphobia i had afterall!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I am genuinely terrified of the KKK. I have maskaphobia (a fear of masks) and I think it has a lot to do with their clothing,the way they're all covered up and everything. When Michael Jackson died and all his videos were being shown,in The Man In The Mirror there are many images of the KKK. I buried my face in a cushion for a while,it was petrifying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I cry and wail when sport is shown on TV3.

No joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

rdow wrote: »
    I also don't fix crooked pictures, I'm a little worried they might trigger a bomb.

Hah, if I find a tap has been left running I can't turn it off for the same reason.

Ever since I was a small child I cannot stand stickers on things. Especially if they get wet. It makes me want to puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Megsy wrote: »

Oh and another thing, CLOWNS! Oh my god they're terrifying.

well make sure you NEVER watch the film "IT" .......i don't mind clowns but that gave me nightmares for years lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I am terrified of tumbles. Or anything that invloves putting my entire weight on my hands/head/back. So gymnastics in PE is torture. I'm still made to do it though :(
    I wrecked my back doing a tumble when I was about 8, so I'm guessing it comes from there.

I also hate my head getting too much blood. My head flopping back will have me freaking out for a few hours.

I don't walking or driving past groups of more than three people, but its not a phobia. Just freaks me out.

There are more, I'm a pretty nervy person. I just can't think of them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

My Leaving Cert English teacher last year is terrified of cotton balls. When she was telling us how she hated how it felt on her skin or in her mouth, she gagged.

And her sister is scared to death of fruit. Apparently she won't eat any food you cooked if you were eating an orange before doing the cooking, just won't eat it at all.

My mother couldn't care less about a living mouse, but she's scared of dead ones

• Advertisement

I'm possibly an emetophobe, partially because I went 11 years without throwing up. Nowadays I'll try anything to avoid it - I don't drink for that very reason.

Also, I have what I'd say is a phobia of smoking and anything to do with it. I'm not alone, my siblings are all the same. I feel disgusted by the word "cigarette" - I avoid saying it if at all possible and if I have to then I feel disgusted by it. I won't even touch a pack of them and will feel physically sick if one (and/or an ashtray) is even within my vicinity. I've often felt myself gagging if I inhale too much smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

I cry and wail when sport is shown on TV3.

No joke.

Eh?.....anyways here is my list of phobias, its a long list!
    All kinds of insects and bugs...
    Lambs but not sheep...
    Heat,not the sun or radiators,but when i'm cooking(which i love to do but),when i'm on my own my girlfriend or someone else has to be with me or i'll break down into a nervous wreck...
    Marmalade,I nearly faint if I look at it...
    Flashing lights(especially car indicators or the traffic lights)...
    Bruises, I cant bear the sight of them...
    Fire ashes,feel like its going to choke me...
    Bad apples...
    Heights...
    Needles...
    Thats about it i think.....

Advertisement