Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educational psychology courses???

• 20-03-2007 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'd be really grateful for any helpful advice on this... I'm a primary teacher, I love my job but would be interested in becoming an educational psychologist. I have a Master's degree in Education. I'm also really interested in the area of art therapy. Should I be looking at undergraduate courses in psychology or can anyone give me postgrad recommendations?
    Thank you, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Most undergrad courses don't really go into it. The masters in educational psychology in UCD is geared towards teachers more so than psychologists from what I can gather. The only other option is the doctorate in Queens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭laura l

thanks for the response, john, i appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seastar

You need to get a psychology qualification first. You have a few options for this:
    1. Full-time psychology degree (3 years)
    2. Open University degree (3+ years)
    3. Higher Diploma in Psychology (2 years)

The ed psych masters in UCD has just gone to 2 years and it is a 3 year doctorate in the UK. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

I'm interested in doing Educational Psych too. As far as I know you need Psychology degree (have that) and Teaching Qualification. (Starting PGDE this month). I want to teach for a few years before doing it,and I'll more than likely go for the Doctrate course in Queens. However, I think some Universities in England don't require a Teaching Qualification, just the Psychology degree and a lot of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Hi KateF,
    The Master's in Educational Psychology in UCD does not require you to have a teaching qualification. Best of luck with your studies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lovelylynn

Hi,
    I'm also a primary teacher interested in going down the path of psychology.

I have applied to Oscail to study a B.A starting this year, but it is not at the moment recognised by the P.S.I. (Psychological Society of Ireland). Does anybody know will this affect applications for masters when i'm finished the course?

I really want to do psychology but if its gonna be a waste of time i'd prefer to study else where?

Anybody have any suggestions for good open university psycholoy courses?

Thanks!!!

Hi Lovelylynn,
    As far as I recall your primary degree has to be recognised by the PSI or the BPS if you are applying for the UCD EdPsych course. The Open University Psychology courses are recognised by both the PSI and BPS. Do you know if the Oscail course have applied for recognition?

thanks moobui,

Seemingly they applied for accreditation, were asked to make changes and haven't reapplied since!

Thing is you have to do 2 subjects with oscail, where I really only wanna do psychology. And I can do just this with open university and not have to pay for a subject i don't want or need, so definately think its my better option.

Thank God i'm after finding this out as i would have been paying fees soon for oscail.

I need a course that i get recognised for further study when i'm finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

hey..
    mary i are starting a post grad in educational psychology either this year or next year..think you have to have either a degree in education/psychology to apply

oh really?? I woud be interested in that!

Where did you hear about this? I've looked at mary I's website but can't find any details!

• Advertisement

im in mary i at the mo,and i was talking to a third year before she finished in may,she was saying that its starting there soon. thats what im hoping to do too so when i get back in sept im going to find out,ill let you know what i find out,if thats any help to you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ooh Im very interested to find out any more info you might be able to get on the Ed psychology masters in Mary I. As i posted in another thread- I was in contact with the course director last May and she said the course would not be going ahead any time soon as they could not get lecturers to run it. Is this wrong? I would be delighted if things had changed

im not sure..it def wont be in in the next year or two id say but hopefully i can get more info when i get back! ill try and corner the course director and make her spill the beans ;)

Excellent thanks a mill. Keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 31 acorn1984

I am also hoping to do Ed Psych, but after having completed my 3-year undergraduate, PGCE in teaching, and 2 years teaching under my belt, I'm not looking forward to another 3 years back in studentville! And even with my experience, i know these post-grads are difficult to get into! The pay better be worth it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

Moobui wrote: »
    Hi KateF,
    The Master's in Educational Psychology in UCD does not require you to have a teaching qualification. Best of luck with your studies :)

hey are you sure?
    I have my Psychology Degree (just finished it) it is PSI accredited but from reading on UCD's website - I got the impression I needed teaching too.

Hi,
    yes I am positive I got on the course without any teaching qualification!

oh cool....so what did you have going into it?

I have a psychology degree, master's and a HDip (not a teaching one) also experience in field of psychology. Most people who get offered the course do have teaching qualifications though and have been working as teachers so they would all have their psychology degree as well as their teaching qualification and experience. If you have just finished your degree you will need to decide if you are going to get the teaching qualifications and teaching experience or postgrad qualifications and experience in psychology or a mixture of both.

ah so you had an MA going into it. Hmmm I have my psychology degree, and a few years of montessori teaching under my belt and a montessoru diploma - don' t suppose they'd accept that lol.

I can't do teaching as I don't have honours Irish, have been thinking about just doing irish this year so can apply to teaching courses next year.

• Advertisement

Can you get some experience in special ed as opposed to doing Irish to become a primary teacher? There is a course (Master's or GradDip I think) in ABA in Trinity that some people have done prior to working in ABA schools. I think all those accepted have a psychology and teaching degree and experience in teaching or a psych degree and master's plus teaching/psychology related experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

There's a masters or grad dip. in ABA in NUI Galway too.

Any ideas about how to build up experience if you're working full-time? What kind of psychology experience could somebody build up?

I'm a teacher (primary...) and I'm doing the conversion course with the OU at the moment, so I'm trying to see how I can build up my CV without leaving my mainstream class. Any ideas for summer experiences/evening work that could be of benefit Moobui? Maybe experience that other teachers on your course have? What kind of experience do you think is relevant? I know that the competition is very tough with only 12 places in the country at the moment!

Any more updates from Mary I. on a course for the future?

Hi Amz5,
    I am not sure what experience you could get outside the mainstream class, all of the teachers that were on my course had also worked in learning support, they had also done some courses run by the DES during the summer so this might be something to look in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Hey,
    You know, you could always do the course in the UK? I realise its not possible for a lot of people because of family etc. But if you don't have children or other commitments then its really a viable option. People seem to only ever consider their options in Ireland. I did my BSc Psychology in Scotland, spent a year at home getting experience through sub teaching, back over in Scotland now, a month into my PGDE Primary and in the last week of my first placement...don't have honours Irish.... wasn't near the points needed in the LC to do Psychology, by a mile!! Yet ended up with a better, wider recognised degree at the end of it all. And I see some people who got into the pyschology or teaching course at home and they couldn't be less suited for it and they're miserable! You could be 100% suited to a career in teaching and the options just might not be there for you in Ireland. I love Ireland....but your options arn't many. 12 places on the UCD course, thats madness. At least consider other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 whiskers08

Hi guys, new to boards but am glad to see there is some info here on ed psych! I'd love to get a place on the masters in UCD i have a 1:1 degree and 2 years ABA experience. I'm going to apply even though i'm not too hopeful (no mainstream teaching experience) and was just wondering if there is some kind soul out there who can enlighten us hopeful applicants - what are the kinds of questions asked at the interview and what makes a good application/personal statement since people seem to say this is very important - i know they say take what is relevant from your experience and apply it but this is so vague can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sparkles90

Hi everyone!

I am absolouley thrilled to see some information here on educational psychology! :D

Im just about to start my 3 year Batchelor of Education degree in Mary Immaculate in Limerick!

Educational Psychology is an area that really interests me!
    Unfortunatley, I havn't been able to get much information on it!

Can anybody tell me what would be the best way to get into this field?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

Me again! I'm dead set on getting into some sort of Ed Psych programme next year - does anyone know how easy it is to get into the English/Scottish programmes? The CWD Council process applications for England - is this the route I should be looking to take?!

Also, are Queens running the course in 2010?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ElaineMcG

Hi all,
    This is my first time on the boards but just reading over previous posts I thought someone mite be able to help me out...

I have a BA degree (2:1) in geography and psychological studies from NUIG, I then did a psychology conversion course in Liverpool which gave me bps accreditation, I then did a special needs assistant course and have a frobel and fetac qualification, I am currently about to start my second year as a full time SNA in a mainstream primary school.

I have always been working towards becoming an ed psych and would like to start my further study towards this in Sept 2010. I am willing to do this anywhere in the Ireland or the UK. Does anyone know the best place to find out about the differernt courses available or could anyone reccomend a course? Also any hints on funding these courses??

All advice would be gratefully accepted :confused:

Elaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fikerry

Hi all,
    I'd be really grateful for any helpful advice on this... I'm a primary teacher (2 years) but am really interested in becoming an educational psychologist. I have a honours degree in Education. Should I be looking at undergraduate courses in psychology or would the Higher Dip in Psych in UCD suffice??
    Thank you, any advice appreciated. :)

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Does anyone know how much it costs to do the Educational Psychologist course in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 beautyqueen1979

Not sure about costs - the ones I know of all are funded places, not sure if you can do the course through self-funding. Anyone else know about this?

My friend has a funded place because she worked in England. I was under the impression that you had to pay to do the course if you went over from Ireland. Very confusing though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 beautyqueen1979

Not sure exactly - what I definately do know is in Queen's University Belfast the three years are funded by the Education and Library Board, but you are contacted to work for them in N.I. for the three years post-qualification (regardless of where you are from - Ireland, England etc). In England, as far as I'm aware, the first year of the doctorate course is funded, but for the second and third year you have to apply for jobs in a Local Education Authority and work for them during those two years while completing your doctorate. It's likely you would also be contracted to work for them post-qualification. I would imagine this would apply regardless of if you are from Ireland or UK. I honestly haven't heard of self-funding for the course - if it came about you would have to have a lot of money saved up prior to starting - there is no time to hold down a job while undertaking placements and research/academic work. And have a life! I think it would be pretty much impossible!

Thanks, I think that´s cleared it up a bit for me. She is contracted to work after completing her course as you said.

Delighted to see the new MA in Educational Psychology will be starting in Mary I in September. Excellent to have more options for those of us hoping to qualify in this sector in the future.

• Advertisement

Bally8 wrote: »
    Delighted to see the new MA in Educational Psychology will be starting in Mary I in September. Excellent to have more options for those of us hoping to qualify in this sector in the future.

Is there really going to be an Ed Psych programme in Mary I in September?? Can't find any info on their website... Would be interested in applying!:D

Yes they have 10 places.

Couldnt find the info on the website myself but there was an article in the Nenagh Guardian about it last week. Said it will be a 2 year full time MA in Educational Psychology. Peadar Crowley is the course leader. Interested applicants must have an honours degree in psychology or an equilivant qualification and relevant experience of working with children within educaional, childcare or community settings. Deadline for applications is March 31st. I would recommend contacting the admissions office in the college for further info

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Optimist

Anyone apply for course in Mary I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 angelak

Yep, I applied last minute. Don't know how long they take to do the short-listing for interviews/ assessment. Does anyone know?

• Advertisement

I applied last minute too. The app form drove me insane - why no personal statement?!

The preliminary assessment is scheduled for April 29th, and interviews the week of May 17th, so i'm imagining a couple of weeks for shortlisting...

Best of luck to anyone who applied! :D

Thanks for the dates. Yeh the application is bizzare - I dont know how they can shortlist with such a small amount of personalised info - maybe they will give us all a bash at the assessment. Best of luck anyway....

acorn1984 wrote: »
    I applied last minute too. The app form drove me insane - why no personal statement?!

The preliminary assessment is scheduled for April 29th, and interviews the week of May 17th, so i'm imagining a couple of weeks for shortlisting...

Best of luck to anyone who applied! :D

Hey Acorn, I'm in the UK at the moment so I wont be able to check my post over the next month - would you mind posting a thread when you here anything back about shortlisting by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smolt99

Hi,

Just wondering would anyone have info on distance learning or part time courses that would help someone who wants to work with people who live with a disability. I have changed career recently and trained as a care assistant. I studied some modules in special needs also. I would be grateful if some one could tell me of any training programes that specificaly are geared for those who care for this client group.

Any input would be much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Douise

has anyone heard anything from either UCD or Mary I? this waiting is driving me insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Optimist

Hi Douise, I got called for interview in UCD during Easter. Got word back from Mary I today for a technical reading/writing task on April 29th. Interviews will follow in May.
    Hope you get news soon. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sistasnow80

Hi Douise, I got called for tech reading exam on the 29th in mary I, I would imagine they called everyone who met the criteria. I heard 60 applied. I did UCD interview also, anyone know how many applied for UCD? Was told they would be letting people know by end of bank hol week, although I wouldn't hold my breath on that one as my friend heard he got a place after 6 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daisy82

Hi everyone,

I have an interview for the MA in Educational Psychology in UCD this week. I'd be grateful if anyone could advise me on what i may be asked in the interview? I have applied for the course in previous years but this is my first time getting to the interview stage.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Zooey

Anyone heard anything from Mary I since the reading exam? I am out of the country at the moment so can't check my post :mad:

hi - i got letter today for interview on 20th - hope you get good news

• Advertisement
Advertisement