Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinead O'Connor facebook post today

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

poisonated wrote: »
    I think her Facebook page has been deactivated.
    For the best, really. Let's hope she gets the help she needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Wise move for her page to be deactivated, I doubt if she made that move herself though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Vojera wrote: »
    For the best, really. Let's hope she gets the help she needs.

This advice seems to be just a continuous loop here. Is there a cure for someone doing what she did/does? Leave her be is the best advice. It is going on many years now. Leave her to it. If she breaks laws then maybe someone can do something, other than that it's just the same old O'Connor behaviour. This time it happens to be family problems that she is making public. Thousands of families all over the counrty bickering and squabbling. Big deal. It's life. O'Connor just happens to want to make her family issue a national issue, and wants everyone to hear of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

walshb wrote: »
    Is there a cure for someone doing what she did/does?

Obviously, if you did some research on the condition she has been diagnosed with you'd know that there is no cure for but like many other disorders people have, both physical and mental, it's one that can be monitored and successfully managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Does having mental health issues give you free licence to abuse your children? I really hope not.

A lot of people took issue with her publicly accusing her kids for causing her suicidalisation. I'm not sure if her children are actually grown adults at this stage, but either way, it's a fairly hideous thing to do, especially so publically by someone in the public eye.

As far as I can gather, she locked herself away in her house all of last weekend, not answering the door to friends and family, John Waters slipping notes under her door resulting in the guards being called several times to check on her.

Then suddenly at the weekend, the balloon goes up on Facebook when she accuses a certain father and his partner of one of her children of stealing €30K from her, demands the 'return' of her children and publically posts pictures of confidential Family Court custody documents.

Is this a typical, or atypical presentation of suicidalisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Obviously, if you did some research on the condition she has been diagnosed with you'd know that there is no cure for but like many other disorders people have, both physical and mental, it's one that can be monitored and successfully managed.

Managed? How's that been going for her the past 25 years?

When are folks gonna' wake up? People and supporters need to quit hiding behind mental illness for their issues and behaviour. It's not always the case that "they cannot help it, it's because they are mentally ill." I never bought that garbage.

She has made a career out of this, and her latest episode is just nother career move. The problem is people feigning synpathy and bigging her up, and as one put it, calling her a national treasure:rolleyes:

It's her children that I feel for. They are the ones being slagged and slated and flogged in public, and no, she is not getting a pass due to her "mental illness." Her rants are very thought out and very orchestarted. Reading some of it you'd wonder was she writing a new album!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

suicidalisation?

That's not a word, nor is it a mental condition.

Sinead has bipolar disorder if I remember correctly. A whole range of inappropriate, aggressive and anti-social behaviour can be associated with bipolar and in Sinead's case it's being amplified by her high profile and her ability to get a message out to thousands at once.

If this wasn't Sinead O'Connor the behaviour might be similar but the consequences would be different. It would be a small-scale drama witnessed only by a few hundred people. There wouldn't be hordes of people leaping at the opportunity to defend or demonise the person making a public fuss on Facebook.

This advice seems to be just a continuous loop here. Is there a cure for someone doing what she did/does? Leave her be is the best advice. It is going on many years now. Leave her to it. If she breaks laws then maybe someone can do something, other than that it's just the same old O'Connor behaviour. This time it happens to be family problems that she is making public. Thousands of families all over the counrty bickering and squabbling. Big deal. It's life. O'Connor just happens to want to make her family issue a national issue, and wants everyone to hear of it.

Hoping that someone gets medical treatment is hardly advice. I'm not a mental health professional, nor do I know what diagnoses Sinead O'Connor does or does not have. But it seems to me to be a decent human response that when someone is in pain, be it mental or physical, one would hope that that pain is lessened. Just because she has courted media attention in the past does not mean that she is not in genuine distress now, or that she does not deserve help.

And just because I feel sad that she is obviously going through a very hard time does not mean that I think she has carte blanche to say what she wants to and about her family. It must be a very difficult experience for them to read the things she has posted about them when to a bystander it appears that they're doing the best they can to help her. It is not easy to be able to separate oneself from things that are said by a person who is unwell. It's not the case that she is the victim in this scenario and her family are the villains. They are also going through a terrible time and it's for everyone's sake that she should get some sort of treatment, be it medication-based or whatever.

Walking away from her without doing anything would serve no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JustShon wrote: »
    That's not a word, nor is it a mental condition.
    Sorry, meant suicidal ideation.

Just because she has courted media attention in the past does not mean that she is not in genuine distress now

The two aren't mutually exclusive. It's possible for someone to be in genuine distress and engaging in attention-seeking behaviour at the same time. Looking for attention through destructive behaviour is certainly a sign of mental illness.

• Advertisement

Sorry, meant suicidal ideation.

Fair enough.

I'm not sure she's entirely engaging in true suicidal ideation. Her behaviour is impulsive rather than premeditated. At least it appears that way, I can't say that for certain.

Sinead's chosen suicide method and behaviour around it indicate attention-seeking behaviour. However, I don't mean this as a way of downplaying the seriousness of her mental illness. I think it's a sign of just how ill she is that she would engage in behaviour that could kill her just for the sake of attention. She needs help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Managed? How's that been going for her the past 25 years?

When are folks gonna' wake up? People and supporters need to quit hiding behind mental illness for their issues and behaviour. It's not always the case that "they cannot help it, it's because they are mentally ill." I never bought that garbage.

It can be successfully managed for most people - I have seen the end results myself - but I can imagine that treatment is going to be more difficult for someone whose fame attracts hangers on and yes men that aren't going to be looking after the person's best interests.
    She has made a career out of this, and her latest episode is just nother career move. The problem is people feigning synpathy and bigging her up, and as one put it, calling her a national treasure:rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of her work but I can empathise with the plight she is suffering. I'm not going to sneer that her very public breakdown is a career move. That is completely ignorant imo and I've appealed to you several times to do some research but you seem to prefer to the pleasure of kicking someone when they're down.
    It's her children that I feel for. They are the ones being slagged and slated and flogged in public, and no, she is not getting a pass due to her "mental illness." Her rants are very thought out and very orchestarted. Reading some of it you'd wonder was she writing a new album!

I feel sorry for her family and children too and I'm not giving her a free pass. I've seen first hand the effects severe mental illness has on a family. It is devastating and it can be a horrible grind for everyone involved while the person gets better. There's nothing thought out about those rants and explain to me how someone orchestrates having themselves sectioned for publicity - again, I don't understand your refusal to do even the slightest bit of research into bipolar disorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I wonder if she is on twitter.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Members of the public more often than not confuse the features of Bipolar Disorder with Borderline/Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder. They are extremely different in presentation. Bipolar affective disorder is a mental illness while strictly speaking the latter is not. 'Bipolar' is a label thrown around a lot and frequently misused as is 'OCD'.

As for the person who is the subject of this thread, I haven't met her so can't comment on her diagnosis but just wanted to point out the above.

etymon wrote: »
    Bipolar affective disorder is a mental illness while strictly speaking the latter is not.

While you're in an educating mood, what makes Bipolar an illness but Borderline not?

I was thinking that some of her behaviour seems a lot like borderline but I'm no expert.

Personality disorders arise from a combination of traits (such as emotional impulsivity, unstable relationships, splitting others into 'good' or 'bad' etc) that have endured since adolescence and which are significantly impairing an individual's ability to maintain work, relationships, etc. They are mental 'disorders'; their pathology is not affected by medication (although we can help with acute symptoms like hyperarousal when distressed) and we cannot 'section' people under the Mental Health Act for having a personality disorder alone.

Mental illnesses such as bipolar affective disorder can be linked to a combination of genetic and environmental factors, with known neurotransmitter irregularities which respond to certain medications and which have a specific pattern of occurrence and risk factors etc - really, illnesses much like diabetes or heart disease are which require medical treatment and follow up over their natural (often chronic) course.

People with mental illnesses may be exempt from criminal culpability for their actions due to their symptoms whereas persons with personality disorders would not be (at least I can't think of any example).

Both bipolar and EUPD/borderline present with 'mood swings' but in a very general sense, bipolar mood swings (depression or mania) can last all day, every day for 4-6 months in the natural course (without medical treatment) whereas in EUPD/borderline, the mood is up one minute, down the next and 'emotions are all over the place' depending on life stressors.

The ICD-10 criteria for diagnosis make the difference pretty clear at F.31 and F.60.3. This is what psychiatrists use for diagnosis and research classification.

PS - in college we had links to these videos to explain the different personality disorders
    Here is the one for Borderline (now called EUPD)
    Bit more digestible than the ICD-10!

Thanks for the info etymon. Very comprehensive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Loving the irony of all the apologists attacking the less sympathetic posters and telling them to educate themselves, all this despite the fact that Sinead O'Connor does not and never did have Bipolar Disease, educate one self indeed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Sinead O'Connor does not and never did have Bipolar Disease

Just read an article that says it's actually PTSD but she was medicated (incorrectly) for bipolar for years, which probably didn't help her mental condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

xzanti wrote: »
    I couldn't see a general Mental Health Forum.

Surprised to hear there isn't one. So that massive thread on After Hours is the only place dedicated to mental health? And lets be honest, even that wouldn't have got past page two if the OP wasn't also the owner of the website.

Well, I guess she is clearly in a lot of distress, whatever the diagnosis and hopefully that subsides soon.

Just wanted to try and point out a few things about mental illness and the myths that are out there - my pet hates e.g.

I'm so OCD about things, I need everything to be a certain way - this is not OCD

that person is a danger to themselves, they need to be sectioned - may or may not be true: e.g.

I need to be sectioned so I don't do anything to myself - involuntary admission under the Mental Health Act is a last resort, can only be invoked in the case of mental illness and cannot guarantee to 'stop you doing anything to yourself' - only you can do that

I think I'm bipolar, one minute I'm laughing the next I'm crying - you are certainly not bipolar, you are emotionally labile and this may well be normal!

I'm so depressed, my head is melted, I'm all over the shop - you are 'distressed', you may not be depressed

Okay sorry if I hijacked the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

It looks like her Facebook 'likes' page has been taken down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

DeeBE wrote: »
    It looks like her Facebook 'likes' page has been taken down.

Definitely for the best. It was supposed to be taken over by her label a while ago, but that never happened.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Definitely for the best. It was supposed to be taken over by her label a while ago, but that never happened.

Before the facebook page she had a blog. I remember it being all over the news because she used it to advertise for a boyfriend. She strikes me as someone who needs a minder to constantly say "This isn't a good idea. Don't do that. Nope, not that either."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I suppose its not impossible that she could be reading this thread too. Might not do her mental state much good either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Before the facebook page she had a blog. I remember it being all over the news because she used it to advertise for a boyfriend. She strikes me as someone who needs a minder to constantly say "This isn't a good idea. Don't do that. Nope, not that either."

As with a lot of musicians, she is probably surrounded by leaches and Yes Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Surprised to hear there isn't one. So that massive thread on After Hours is the only place dedicated to mental health? And lets be honest, even that wouldn't have got past page two if the OP wasn't also the owner of the website.

Or the mod wasn't having a night off, binge watching a box set.

I know she's a public figure, and I know she posted on Facebook, but 19 pages of speculation... enough already.

Allow her the privacy to recover now.

Thread closed. JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement