Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to pay CGT if I reinvest and don't withdraw the money?

Options
  • 27-01-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi!

I've made some gains on Revolute trading and I am just wondering, do I have to pay the CGT tax if I reinvest and do not withdraw the money?

For example, I make €1200 gains from trading, and put that €1200 back into trading without withdrawing the money.

I then make an additional €1700 gains. Therefore the total amount of gains I made is €2900, but after all trading I only made €1700.

Since I am over the limit €1,270, do I need to pay tax on €1630 (2900-1270) or €430 (1700-1270).

Essentially my question is, is every trade taxable once there are gains, or is it only taxable if I withdraw the money (transfer it to my bank).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

cgtquest wrote: »
    Hi!

I've made some gains on Revolute trading and I am just wondering, do I have to pay the CGT tax if I reinvest and do not withdraw the money?

For example, I make €1200 gains from trading, and put that €1200 back into trading without withdrawing the money.

I then make an additional €1700 gains. Therefore the total amount of gains I made is €2900, but after all trading I only made €1700.

Since I am over the limit €1,270, do I need to pay tax on €1630 (2900-1270) or €430 (1700-1270).

Essentially my question is, is every trade taxable once there are gains, or is it only taxable if I withdraw the money (transfer it to my bank).

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) can occur on the sale, gift or exchange of an asset. Getting money into your account doesn't come into it. Keep in mind you also may have losses to use. You should be tracking each transaction to see if you are in a gain/loss position and if a chargeable event has occurred. It's your cumulative position over 12 months you need to keep and eye on.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cgtquest

Thank you!

I will calculate my cumulative today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It doesn't matter what happens to the proceeds of a capital gain.

What matters is whether or not a taxable capital gain occurred.

Advertisement