Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New charger for phone

Options
  • 25-01-2021 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i have a power supply lenova , 5.2 volt, 2.0 amps output.
    my phone takes 3.5 hours to charge on my charger ,
    5volt, 2.0amps,

would it be safe to use it on the lenova charger ?
    should i get a 5volt 3 amp charger in a shop to speed up charging time .
    my android phone is about 4 months old .
    , it uses a micro usb port to charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The lenova charger is safe to use as it has similar specifications but I wouldn't buy a 3amp charger as the phone could overheat. I'm not saying it 100% will but you could use it and it would be perfectly fine but the battery in your phone was designed to be charged by a 2 amp charger not a 3amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The phone will only draw 2amps if that is what it's rated for so you can't speed up the charging process with a more powerful charger unless it's designed to take more current, companies usually ship the best charger with the device.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The phone will only draw 2amps if that is what it's rated for so you can't speed up the charging process with a more powerful charger unless it's designed to take more current, companies usually ship the best charger with the device.

with premium segment products yes but with more budget and mid-range options, brands often ship devices that have fast-charging capabilities with non-fast charging chargers (bog-standard 5V 2A) to save on costs.

OP - if your phone has any QC / fast-charge capability (google) then you could invest in a charger that provides the higher output but if it's not QC-capable that won't achieve anything.

Advertisement