Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth repairing a turbo trainer?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I have a Tacx Flow, unfortunately it's out of warranty and has stopped working. Tacx/Garmin have quoted me €212.29 to get it replaced with a refurb.
    Any thoughts on if it's worth doing, or would it be worth selling on? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I have a Tacx Flow, unfortunately it's out of warranty and has stopped working. Tacx/Garmin have quoted me €212.29 to get it replaced with a refurb.
    Why would someone buy a turbo trainer that doesn't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

What exactly will you do with a turbo that doesn't work also Looks like your choices are limited

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Two quick questions,
    1. I presume you will get a fresh warranty on it?
    2. Do you want the same trainer or would you like something fancier?

There is your answer, if you want fancier then don't get it, if you are happy with the same, then go for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've fixed up my Tacx a few times buying spares on ebay. Once the full brake unit, once just a snapped lever. Its one of the old VR units and the PC with the VR software died recently with no way of transferring the license or even buying a new one (TTS3 or TTS4) which no longer seem to be available. It has put me off the Tacx kit a bit. Works well when it works but build quality is poor and not being able to move licenses between PCs is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

I think I'd cut my losses if I were you. Unless you've got plenty time to spare and then trying to order parts that might not work save your time and save up for another one. I had a very decent exercise bike that wasnt working properly, took it all apart etc,. waste of time , for me anyway. these things are like appliances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

depends on how broke it is - i had a smart trainer that became dumb, but still worked as a dumb trainer. I have also had other trainers that were dumb and broke, and fixed them up myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Worth posting on the unofficial tac forum to see if anyone has any advice or spares. I found them great in terms of getting my VR system back up and running on a new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

smacl wrote: »
    Worth posting on the unofficial tac forum to see if anyone has any advice or spares. I found them great in terms of getting my VR system back up and running on a new PC.
    Thanks, put up a post there. Had never heard of that forum.

Advertisement