Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wahoo Turbo Trainer help

Options
  • 26-01-2021 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help. I have bought a turbo trainer to help get fit over the next few months. Ended up buying a Wahoo Kickr Smart Turbo second hand. The guys who sold it has it set up for racer. It comes with a 11-speed(11-28T) cassette

I have a Giant Contend 2 which I think is 2017 based on the colour scheme
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-2-2017
    When I try to use the chain is skipping. Am I correct I just need to replace the cassette with a SRAM PG 850 11x32 and that will resolve the issue or am I doing something stupid? no manual came with it. Thanks for help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

You aware of any shop in Dublin who will do this? the spacer is not with the unit I bought second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is a fairly easy job and probably something that is worth learning how to do yourself.

You should need only one spacer
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-hub-cassette-spacer-11-speed-to-10-speed

And an 8 speed 11-32 road cassette

Then you will need a cassette lock ring tool and a chain whip if you need to remove the existing cassette that is already on it too. Probably a 30 min job including watching the YouTube video to learn how to do it

Where are you based in Dublin? Most bike shops would have the parts and would help you out if needs be

Where are you based in Dublin? Most bike shops would have the parts and would help you out if needs be

Swords

• Advertisement

Try the guys in Richies - (01) 890 0631

Would Halfords do it? as they have the cassette in stock?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would Halfords do it? as they have the cassette in stock?

Probably, its a simple job, once they have the cassette and spacer, it might take them 2 or 3 minutes.

I know I probably sound stupid and it is easy job. I have another bike, a cross over with a similar Shimano gears, 8 cassette as well, connected it up and same problem. A mate who knows more said to change the rear derailleur and that would fix it, spent a while at last night and same problem. More concerned lack of knowledge I will break something :-)

Changing the rear derailleur is much more complicated as it involves changing chain, shifters and cassette on your bike too to make it 11-speed. Putting an 8-speed cassette on the turbo is a much easier and cheaper job

• Advertisement

I know I probably sound stupid and it is easy job. I have another bike, a cross over with a similar Shimano gears, 8 cassette as well, connected it up and same problem. A mate who knows more said to change the rear derailleur and that would fix it, spent a while at last night and same problem. More concerned lack of knowledge I will break something :-)

Your mate is wrong, you simply can't mix the 11 speed cassette and an 8 speed chain. Change the cassette, sell the 11 speed one as its almost new and you will pretty much pay for the 8 speed cassette and fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Hope someone can help. I have bought a turbo trainer to help get fit over the next few months. Ended up buying a Wahoo Kickr Smart Turbo second hand. The guys who sold it has it set up for racer. It comes with a 11-speed(11-28T) cassette

I have a Giant Contend 2 which I think is 2017 based on the colour scheme
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-2-2017
    When I try to use the chain is skipping. Am I correct I just need to replace the cassette with a SRAM PG 850 11x32 and that will resolve the issue or am I doing something stupid? no manual came with it. Thanks for help

Manuals and set-up guides are here https://eu.wahoofitness.com/instructions

Thanks, I am up and running anyway. Went to cyclesuperstore and they installed new 8 speed cassette for me. The guys said the chain was too big for the 11 speed and that is why it was jumping so much. Wasn't expensive either so happy days.

Slotted on bike, it is very loud so I expect what my mate said about the back derailleur and not aligned correctly so will have a look at some videos online and see what I can do. It kind of sounds like it is just about to change gear all the time if you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone for the help by the way, very much appreciated

Assuming it goes into the lowest and biggest ring correctly, then a quick twist of the barrel adjuster (a small piece of plastic on the cable usually towards the front of the bike) might solve that

Attached image, this just doesn't look right :p

Attached image, this just doesn't look right :p

Your chain might still be one link too long. Avoid being in the smaller front chainring and the smallest rear sprocket if the noise issue abates, then it is likely to be the chain. Otherwise twist the knurled black adjuster on the cable that is visible in the pic half a turn out (anticlockwise) and that will provide some additional cable tension and may assist.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Your chain might still be one link too long. Avoid being in the smaller front chainring and the smallest rear sprocket if the noise issue abates, then it is likely to be the chain. Otherwise twist the knurled black adjuster on the cable that is visible in the pic half a turn out (anticlockwise) and that will provide some additional cable tension and may assist.

On the smaller ring it is noisey but once I move up it is ok. To be honest I have made enough excuses and just need to start using it :-)

Thanks again for all the help

On the smaller ring it is noisey but once I move up it is ok. To be honest I have made enough excuses and just need to start using it :-)

Thanks again for all the help

Sounds more like your cross chaining as indicated above rather than any other major issue. Might be one or two links too long but when you aren't cross chaining, this shouldn't make a difference.

Ok so I have updated the title
    I had a go on it last night, all went well but I was sending video and my mate said it seemed loud. Its a 2017 model and I have no idea.
    Just wondering if anyone on forum has a 2017 Wahoo Kickr?
    My mate has a Tacx but it is a fairly new one so not sure if that is why it is quiet. Just wondering if someone could listen and suggest if something wrong or not? Thanks

Could you put the video on youtube?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Could you put the video on youtube?

I think this will work
    https://vimeo.com/505638064

I dont think that sounds right at all. The prominent higher pitched sound suggests a bearing or other issue. My Kickr Core is far quieter without any higher pitch noises. i cannot imagine the Kickr Snap would be that different.......?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I dont think that sounds right at all. The prominent higher pitched sound suggests a bearing or other issue. My Kickr Core is far quieter without any higher pitch noises. i cannot imagine the Kickr Snap would be that different.......?

That's not right, I had the core and it was quieter, your kickr, even the 2017 one should be on par or quieter I think, something is rubbing against the flywheel by the sounds of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIW_KMMo9L8
    This is the only video I could find which is a 2016

Doesn't sound the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIW_KMMo9L8
    This is the only video I could find which is a 2016

Doesn't sound the same.

Actually................it doesnt sound that different at all !
    The pitch is changing with rotation speed, as you would expect, but perhaps this IS normal.

edit:
    Go to 2.30 on this video

Maybe it is the camera mic and being so close, it sounds the same as the 2nd video you put up, just a different mic and location. It actually sounds better on your one. Your video sounds like you couldn't hold a conversation in the same room, is it actually that loud or is the video making it seem worse. As in could you hear a TV or talk to someone with relative ease? It would be annoying but could you hear them?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

I have a kickr and its a lot quieter than that. If you contact kickr support they may send you kit for a warranty repair if it has not been claimed already. There was a known issue with the early kickrs making funny noise

CramCycle wrote: »
    Maybe it is the camera mic and being so close, it sounds the same as the 2nd video you put up, just a different mic and location. It actually sounds better on your one. Your video sounds like you couldn't hold a conversation in the same room, is it actually that loud or is the video making it seem worse. As in could you hear a TV or talk to someone with relative ease? It would be annoying but could you hear them?

I can watch the TV and I can talk away. Maybe the video is a bit louder. My mate is coming over tomorrow and he is a better judge.

The guys who sold it rang me and said any issue he would take back so not much stress, I did a cycle this evening and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Thanks, I am up and running anyway. Went to cyclesuperstore and they installed new 8 speed cassette for me. The guys said the chain was too big for the 11 speed and that is why it was jumping so much. Wasn't expensive either so happy days.

Slotted on bike, it is very loud so I expect what my mate said about the back derailleur and not aligned correctly so will have a look at some videos online and see what I can do. It kind of sounds like it is just about to change gear all the time if you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone for the help by the way, very much appreciated

Time for an n+1 ;)

• Advertisement

OK had friend over, he listened to it and it was the way I took the video. He says the sound is standard. So was up and running again.
    Thanks again for all the help!!

Advertisement