Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class Action Lawsuits

Options
  • 09-08-2020 12:31am

Can someone in Ireland, join a Class Action Lawsuit in the US?
    For example, a lawsuit against a pharmacuetical company, where a drug is known to cause injury, and the Drug company hid the information, would an Irish user of the drug be able to join the American Lawsuit?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is a question for an American lawyer tbh.

That said there would seem to be no reason why not at least that I know of.

Once you can establish that the wrongdoing that has affected you took place there then it should be stateable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

This is a question for an American lawyer tbh.

That said there would seem to be no reason why not at least that I know of.

Once you can establish that the wrongdoing that has affected you took place there then it should be stateable.

Really?

An irish consumer, who bought a drug in Ireland licenced to be sold in Ireland under our licensing system would have standing to take a case in the US simply because (I guess) the company is HQed in the US.

Seems surprising

I think you are correct hullaballoo , in that I shoud speak to an American Lawyer.
    I just wondered had anyone any knowledge of an Irish person joining a suit from Ireland.

But, yes, speaking to an American Lawyer makes sense.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's going to depend on how the class is defined for the purposes of the class action. But if it's a product liablity action, a class action in the US will usually have a class defined to include only those who bought or obtained the product in the US, since product liablity laws in other jurisidictions may be different, and those bringing the class action won't want to complicate it by having to deal with questions of foreign law.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's going to depend on how the class is defined for the purposes of the class action. But if it's a product liablity action, a class action in the US will usually have a class defined to include only those who bought or obtained the product in the US, since product liablity laws in other jurisidictions may be different, and those bringing the class action won't want to complicate it by having to deal with questions of foreign law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

The only thing I would add OP is ... You may need to ensure that the product sold and used in Europe /place of purchase is 100% same product manufactured/processed in USA, sometimes products or practices are tweaked for different markets, active ingredients would usually be the same but levels etc may differ.

* It's been over 20years since I worked in a pharmaceutical process plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Is this to do with Roundup which is still sold here when it should be banned?

Advertisement