Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion Groups?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd be extremely interested. Like most posting I'd be leaning towards science subjects but wouldn't object to pretty much anything.

Nev. :)

Fremen wrote: »
    Thanks JammyDodger. Believe it or not, I wrote that while I was drunk.

It was very coherent for drunk posting I have to say.

I watched the talk that you linked to. I have to say that I didn't know the whole Galileo vrs. the Catholic Church issue was as complicated as that; I've always thought it was a cut-and-dry case of Church supression, whereas clearly -- if what the speaker says is true -- that isn't the case. The speaker seems to be a bit of a Christian apologetic, though; he portrayed Galileo in a relatively bad light (dishonest, conniving, etc.), and painted the Church as being correct with regards to the whole issue.

It seems like a perfect video to get the whole discussion groups idea going, anyway. If a few others agree that they would like to talk about it, I/or whoever will create a new thread and we can do it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Unless it was fully factual, it felt a little onesided to me. I saw the lecture as just a series of reasons why it wasn't the churches fault, and how Galileo supressed himself. For example - I may have heard wrong but one of the reasons the Pope didn't fully listen to Galileos case was because he was very busy and got fed up under all the pressure. That's hardly a good reason.

Advertisement