Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE NSO and current composers

Options
  • 18-05-2013 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

An interesting article in the Irish times this week by Michael Dervin discussing the current relationship between the RTE NSO and current Irish composers.

Here is the article: http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/the-rt%C3%A9-national-symphony-orchestra-is-out-of-touch-with-the-music-of-its-own-time-1.1391868?page=1

Now I am a composer and was just wondering what non-composer Classical musical fans opinions are on this article. The summary of the article is that the NSO are out of touch with the world of modern music and current composers. One example Dervin gives is RTE's commissioning policy which now, rather that RTE commissioning particular composers to write new works, composers must now apply and it is done like a competitive ballot, with composers fighting it out for a few rare commissions. A direct quote from Dervin here:
    Commissioning is an artistic decision, just like hiring conductors and soloists, or putting together a programme. Why not make all of those competitive, too? Turning commissions into a matter of formal competition is nothing less than an abdication of responsibility

So what to people think about this? Ireland has only one Symphony Orchestra unlike most developed European countries, should it be given more opportunities to established, Irish composers of which their are many? Obviously there is a financial issue here, a programme of Beethoven will sell more than a programme of Irish composers. But as a state funded body do the NSO have a responsibility to promote the work of Irish composers more so than they already do? Are they adding to the marginalisation of new Irish music?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

I have some sympathy with RTE NSO on this one actually.
    The orchestra seems to be under huge pressure, as with most parts of that company. They need to get bums on seats and playing Irish contemporary composers is going to do the opposite. With the exception of Bill Whelan or Shaun Davey, I think everyone accepts it is a minority sport.
    In the past, the orchestra has programmed an Irish contemporary commission in the same Friday night concert as a Tchaikovsky symphony or Mozart Concerto. To me, it was jarring to the point of irritation.

Hardly anyone paid in to hear it, but was played because RTE had spent maybe as much as 10,000 euro for an 8 to 10 minute orchestral piece that was probably never to be heard again.

That is not to say that the NSO should not be playing this repertoire - of course it should. How and when is the question and of course Dervan is right about the current way of commissioning is not satisfactory. Is like tendering for a set of music stands or something.

Irish contemporary composers need to accept (and probably do) that the vast majority of their work is unloved and ignored by the vast majority of music loving people - and that looks like how it'll be for the forseeable future.
    At Aosdana meetings, they (the senior composers) rant and rave and shake their fists at RTE and other institutions for treating them and their work without enough respect.
    I'm not sure what the answer is, alas.
    If it's played in a programmed event like 'Horizons', the NSO is accused of ghettoising, if they play commissioned works during Friday night concerts, the NSO's audience numbers probably fall.

Advertisement