Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a Digital camcorder.

Options
  • 12-12-2003 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    As the title suggests ive just bought my first digital camcorder, its a sony DCR-TRV14. I know absoloutly nothing about editing and im kinda overwhelmed!
    Ive shot some test stuff and managed to use the bundled "software" (if you could call it that) to watch it on my PC, i used the USB cable and the results were quite jerky, im guessing an i.link (firewire) cable would sort this out?
    What im really looking for is decent software that i could use instead of the sony software to copy it onto my Pc so i can edit it, and any good links that have to help me get started, i dont mind spending some money but not too much!
    Does pinnacle or adobe premier have the features to get the clips off my Camera or are they just for editing?

Any help would be great!!

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

If you're in Dublin, go to IT Direct and pick up a Firewire card and cable, it'll cost you about €45. You need Firewire to transfer the DV footage at full quality, the USB streaming isn't worth bothering with.

Any edit program (at least any i've used) will have the tools to capture the footage from the camera.

For starting out i'd recomend Pinnacle. It's low cost and fairly basic without being as basic as Windows Movie Maker. Premier is about €600 so hardly worth forking out for, at least not at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I-Link should sort it out..... you know you can't record back onto the camera via I-link, actually the use of the term i-link is incorrect on the ad... as i-link suggest both in and out, that camera only does out. Premiere comes with it's own capture tool. Also they is a windows editing programme built into xp..... I havent gone near it so I can't comment on how good or other wise it is.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I have firewire on my PC (PCI & MoBo), so im guessing all i need is the correct cable, i have an ipod cable with a few different connectors with it, i might get pinnacle today and have a play around, I have a DVD Writer so getting it off the PC shouldnt be a problem?

Thanks for all the help

Sean

ANy links to beginners sites would be great
    !
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Originally posted by rabbitinlights
    I have firewire on my PC (PCI & MoBo), so im guessing all i need is the correct cable, i have an ipod cable with a few different connectors with it, i might get pinnacle today and have a play around, I have a DVD Writer so getting it off the PC shouldnt be a problem?

Thanks for all the help

Sean

ANy links to beginners sites would be great
    !
    Sean

The cable will cost you a tenner in IT Direct, places like Dixons will shaft you for it... Tell them what it's for and they'll give you the one with the correct connections.

Our technician recently picked up Pinnacle 8 for about €75 (I think... don't know where though) and that comes with built in DVD authoring software. For menus and the like.

A quick google gave me these links...

http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/guides.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/video/

http://www.infoweblinks.com/content/videoediting.htm

http://vcdrookie.com/eng/

But the only real way to do it is to play with the software once you get it. Spend a few hours just tinkering, finding it's limits, making all your mistakes. That's how i've learnt editing and i've become profficent with Avid (DV Express and Media Composer), Final Cut Pro and Premier.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Pinnecle What?

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Pinnacle Studio DV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

thanks a million guys!

Google you say......... now theres an idea:D

Advertisement