Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turas Nua

Options
  • 13-08-2020 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask this question, I am new to 'Boards'...
    I'm actually up the wall with worry at the moment, I'm simply looking for some guidance.
    I'm the far side of 60, but a few years off retirement. About 2 years ago after 40 odd years of working, I found myself unemployed. To be honest it was a shock to begin with, and it was a few weeks before I got the courage to visit a local Intreo Center. The people there could not have been more helpful, and sorted out my benefits.
    Eventually I was assigned a case officer, who also was very kind. She help me sort a CV (I'd never had one before) and while I applied for a few jobs, and had the odd interview, I always knew my age would be against me.
    Eventually I began to think about working for myself, I still have some skills, and also have some contacts who could use my services. This was to be through a 'Start your own business/Enterprise scheme. So, I started 'back to school' and firstly did a bookeeping course, and was halfway through another course, with a test due last May, when of course we had the Corona Crisis.
    In Jan or Feb (I cant remember exactly) I got a letter to attend a 'Turas Nua' appointment. This I did, as I thought it was part of the whole procedure. Never having been unemployed before, I had little idea how all this works.
    However, I was given a new 'case officer' who seemed more interested in me creating a new CV, and answering questions. I must add, at this time that my benifits changed from 'unemployment benefit' to 'jobseekers benefit'
    I was at pains to explain to this new case office that I had signed up for self employment/enterprice scheme, and that I was in the process of upskilling for this purpose.
    She seemed unimpressed with any of this, and kept hinting that I 'need to find enployment'.
    Finally, she said that I will lose my benefit if I dont take up 'a job soon'.
    I'm up the wall with anxiety, for fear of losing my payment. I recently broke out in a rash, and spent a day and night in hospital. The diagnosis was psoriasis, and it was suggested it could have been brought on by worry.
    I've written (emailed) my local intreo office, and my old case officer. She replied that she cannot intervene as I am now 'with An Turas Nua. I've yet to get a reply from Intreo itself.
    Can anyone here help, or suggest what I could do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

dcassidy wrote: »
    Excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask this question, I am new to 'Boards'...
    I'm actually up the wall with worry at the moment, I'm simply looking for some guidance.
    I'm the far side of 60, but a few years off

This is the wrong place on Boards.ie to post this, but the “right“ place to post it on here is 50/50 people been sympathetic/angry they are putting you through this or pro Government types calling you a scumbag/sponger.

What you need to do is blow up the email inboxes of SF/FF/FG/Labour/AAA/PBP etc etc etc (regardless of who or what party you vote for) and CC national newspapers, radio and most importantly the Department of Social Protection in this too. You’ll get all these TDs contacting the DOSP on your behalf making representation. The department will put someone a lot higher up on the case and will properly assess your situation and suitability for a scheme like turas nua.

This is what i did for a man here who has a severe mental health problem and the Department weren’t actually reading the medical evidence he submitted. Within days of TDs raising this, he had a letter confirming his continued eligibility for Disability Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

This is the wrong place on Boards.ie to post this, but the “right“ place to post it on here is 50/50 people been sympathetic/angry they are putting you through this or pro Government types calling you a scumbag/sponger.

What you need to do is blow up the email inboxes of SF/FF/FG/Labour/AAA/PBP etc etc etc (regardless of who or what party you vote for) and CC national newspapers, radio and most importantly the Department of Social Protection in this too. You’ll get all these TDs contacting the DOSP on your behalf making representation. The department will put someone a lot higher up on the case and will properly assess your situation and suitability for a scheme like turas nua.

This is what i did for a man here who has a severe mental health problem and the Department weren’t actually reading the medical evidence he submitted. Within days of TDs raising this, he had a letter confirming his continued eligibility for Disability Allowance.

Was the man not already on disability allowance?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

bassy wrote: »
    Was the man not already on disability allowance?.

Yes he was, but they do a sporadic review on people. A barcoded computer generated letter is sent demanding medical evidence within 21 days. A letter was sent back from a consultant psychiatrist saying his condition is permanent and getting worse. Those ”medical accessors“ aren’t doctors either.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

dcassidy wrote: »
    I'm the far side of 60, but a few years off retirement. About 2 years ago after 40 odd years of working, I found myself unemployed. To be honest it was a shock to begin with, and it was a few weeks before I got the courage to visit a local Intreo Center. The people there could not have been more helpful, and sorted out my benefits.
    Eventually I was assigned a case officer, who also was very kind. She help me sort a CV (I'd never had one before) and while I applied for a few jobs, and had the odd interview, I always knew my age would be against me.
    Eventually I began to think about working for myself, I still have some skills, and also have some contacts who could use my services. This was to be through a 'Start your own business/Enterprise scheme. So, I started 'back to school' and firstly did a bookeeping course, and was halfway through another course, with a test due last May, when of course we had the Corona Crisis.
    In Jan or Feb (I cant remember exactly) I got a letter to attend a 'Turas Nua' appointment. This I did, as I thought it was part of the whole procedure. Never having been unemployed before, I had little idea how all this works.
    However, I was given a new 'case officer' who seemed more interested in me creating a new CV, and answering questions. I must add, at this time that my benifits changed from 'unemployment benefit' to 'jobseekers benefit'
    I was at pains to explain to this new case office that I had signed up for self employment/enterprice scheme, and that I was in the process of upskilling for this purpose.
    She seemed unimpressed with any of this, and kept hinting that I 'need to find enployment'.
    Finally, she said that I will lose my benefit if I dont take up 'a job soon'.
    I'm up the wall with anxiety, for fear of losing my payment. I recently broke out in a rash, and spent a day and night in hospital. The diagnosis was psoriasis, and it was suggested it could have been brought on by worry.
    I've written (emailed) my local intreo office, and my old case officer. She replied that she cannot intervene as I am now 'with An Turas Nua. I've yet to get a reply from Intreo itself.
    Can anyone here help, or suggest what I could do.

They will use every trick to get you to take up an job, they are a private company who only get paid if they place you in a job, hence why you wanting to be self employed will be of no interest to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Relax. Tell them you are happy to rake a job if someone offers you one. Even they know full well that no one will, especially post-Covid.

Keep working towards self- employment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement