Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I like cake!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Gluten free gingerbread men, made with the "help" of the kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gluten free gingerbread men, made with the "help" of the kids

Aww, why are there sad little men?

pwurple wrote: »
    Aww, why are there sad little men?

We welcome all sorts in my house! Asked the 3 year old was this was sad or happy and she said sad, so sad he was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Housemate opened oven while my lemon and lime traybake was in there...didn't clock with me what would happen till I looked in to take it out...sunken... :(

I'm stressed by even the thought of that happening...A light on and the oven sound doesn't stop people. ovens should come with neon signs.

or you check your cake and there's a fish pie after appearing in the rack below.

So decided it was time to try out the bread machine, I've only had it 4 years!!! So made a beautiful gluten free caramelised red onion loaf, dear god it was delicious and looks amazing for a gf loaf

• Advertisement

So have a family birthday tomorrow so made some cupcakes: lemon meringue and mojito

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

So have a family birthday tomorrow so made some cupcakes: lemon meringue and mojito

Wow, fantabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

In honour of another fantastic series of Bake-off, this afternoon Mrs G! and little G!2 made Sticky Toffee Date Cake.

Served warm with vanilla ice cream it was absolutely delicious!

1BAD088D-F49B-410A-A75C-323DFD8319C5_zpsw12lpz5q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It's been a while since I posted in here. My daughter's birthday cakes including cupcakes for her class:

KXPeEkn.jpg

The birthday cake (chocolate mint swirl) before a few tweaks:

YhIuamF.jpg

We were woken up this morning by a cry of "WOW!" from the kitchen. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^
    Fabulous! :)

• Advertisement

I miss baking. I'm glad of the cold weather, an excuse to get the oven on and have the kitchen warm!

I borrowed a book from the library for a bit of inspiration, Cake Days by The Hummingbird Bakery. And first of the list is Chocolate Guinness Cake, which looks like this in the book.

http://3.darkroom.stylist.co.uk/980/e02a8d98b2a965116d03c440301b14ba:b3dbbe48f6e5a5028a4556d6cbe8f914/guinness-cake-hero.jpg

and looked like this this morning.
    I didn't bother with the cocoa topping.

WP_20151020_12_39_56_Pro_zpshcftnaeu.jpg

I didn't have a round tin, so I used the square. After the prescribed time, it was still wet and gloopy inside, so I gave it another 10 minutes. Hard to tell if it was burnt, it was so dark! And then it sunk a lot in the middle. I would like to make it again to get it like the photo in the book. It looks fab.

Anyway, I'll likely give half this away, there's too much for two of us, when one is not that into it. Pity, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Quiet day at home today, so decided to make some banana bread, one with cinnamon and raisins, the other with choc chips

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

tampopo wrote: »
    I miss baking. I'm glad of the cold weather, an excuse to get the oven on and have the kitchen warm!

I borrowed a book from the library for a bit of inspiration, Cake Days by The Hummingbird Bakery. And first of the list is Chocolate Guinness Cake, which looks like this in the book.

http://3.darkroom.stylist.co.uk/980/e02a8d98b2a965116d03c440301b14ba:b3dbbe48f6e5a5028a4556d6cbe8f914/guinness-cake-hero.jpg

and looked like this this

I didn't have a round tin, so I used the square. After the prescribed time, it was still wet and gloopy inside, so I gave it another 10 minutes. Hard to tell if it was burnt, it was so dark! And then it sunk a lot in the middle. I would like to make it again to get it like the photo in the book. It looks fab.

Anyway, I'll likely give half this away, there's too much for two of us, when one is not that into it. Pity, but enjoyable nonetheless.

That's a great book - the cupcakes are amazing! It's my go to recipe for plain vanilla cupcakes! With regard to the Guinness cake you should try the donal skehan recipe - sooooo good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every week I cook either an apple pie or crumble

bS8ADOT.jpg

leahyl wrote: »
    That's a great book - the cupcakes are amazing! It's my go to recipe for plain vanilla cupcakes! With regard to the Guinness cake you should try the donal skehan recipe - sooooo good!

thanks for the Donal Skehan recipe advice. I'll try that so.

I made the mixed berry muffins last night. The ones with blueberries and raspberries. No photo. All gone pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

t7J2yMo.jpg?2

Cinnamon Rolls that I have been threatening to try to bake for ages. Cream cheese icing on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chocolate and biscuit no bake cake

qdPeVqr.jpg

very sweet and satisfying :)

Had a kids halloween party so made some treats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Had a kids halloween party so made some treats

Oh, the spooked pussycat biscuits are brilliant!

quaalude wrote: »
    Oh, the spooked pussycat biscuits are brilliant!

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tazzer wrote: »

Cinnamon Rolls that I have been threatening to try to bake for ages. Cream cheese icing on top.

keep thinking lately that I must make these...love cinnamon rolls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Wgt2Ycl.jpg?1

Every year I make my nieces birthday cake, this year she requested purple cake with chocolate icing. I decided to do a pull apart cupcake cake and it was a roaring success!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's brilliant. Is it a load of cupcakes under the icing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

That's brilliant. Is it a load of cupcakes under the icing?

Yes indeed it is!

Definitely something I'll do again, probably a Christmas tree one for a party in a few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

A cake of sorts, protein cake! :cool: Made in 90 seconds with almond butter on top.:pac:... :pac:...

369208.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Two birthday cake and desert on same day, milk chocolate cake and fresh cream and strawberry, Pavlova for adults

BBCF60D073C8400C88409864269E224A-0000360696-0003822045-00500L-83789478477E4D7BB9B8CDF096743A38.jpg

A8D4F2DD6816424696FE543E1A425AC6-0000360696-0003822043-00500L-0DE867319C6743E8A566F37ACCCCF069.jpg

F04F393005754A379C7D1764DC360272-0000360696-0003822042-00500L-9C54904D34FE499A920CA83B48D3A645.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wowza sdp they look fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I got How to be a Domestic Godess for Christmas. Made the American pancakes first. Very tasty, will definitely be using that recipe again!!

Second was Madeira Cake. Nice crack down the middle of it and it wasn't dry like some Madeira. Got the thumbs up from the family as well!

I'm aiming to try every recipe in the book. I could live to regret this...:o

For my birthday a few months ago I made Donal Skehan's Guinness Chocolate cake.

WP_20151107_23_09_51_Pro_zpsmtgifjom.jpg

with a large carrot cake in the background...

• Advertisement

My toddlers birthday cake

Advertisement