Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

japanese knotweed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, with the weather as it is, the plant will have gone dormant and spraying would achieve little.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shrubsandsudz

Howzit17 wrote: »
    Any point in spraying this time of year?

I would say not until april or may, then you know where to spray.. (Didn't mean for that to come out in poetry form.) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Found a clump of Japanese Knotweed and notified the council - they said I had to deal with it myself, as it wasn't on council property. Their advice was to wait until next year, and spray them when they are in flower - around the first two weeks of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Found a clump of Japanese Knotweed and notified the council - they said I had to deal with it myself, as it wasn't on council property. Their advice was to wait until next year, and spray them when they are in flower - around the first two weeks of September.

Thats good advice but from a practical standpoint a large infestation might be too tall to spray easily. Hence the advice to spay once early in the season to reduce the ultimate height of the weed then spay again in early September. Our late summer early autum can be so wet I advice spaying anytime from the end of August so you don't get rained off till next year.

Having a guess you are the two fab people on YouTube. (hope so) blow-inblog.. love you guys...anyhow.

you need to target the rhizomes, a lot like nettles, certain types of bamboo; they're a creeper. I haven't pushed back against knotweed...yet, some chefs will pay for the flower, tastes great! And like nettles they can be a bitch to contain. If the stuff is invading beauty and your garden.... you need to maybe mulch heavy, but I do know the feelers it can send out. Meters long and tends to work in pairs, inter-weiving.

You find the roots, you find the source, but it will propagate readily like comfrey. I'm moving into the comfrey business, but like anything, tending is friending.

Nuke it! is the option that Donald Trump would give you, my advice, is work with it....or kill it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Same problem here, reported a big clump to the council last year, it's on private land so it's staying. I've noticed the council are doing a good job clearing it in other areas (roadside) though. Re-growth was very weak this year. I wonder what they're using? Roundup maybe?

OMG! I'm really sorry, but what I thought was Jap.Knot was bind-weed. I feel like a complete fool, so please dis-reguard anything I've posted on this subject.

I was under the impression that the white trumpet flowers where knotweed...seems I've been pissing up-stream and got some backwash.

WoW. I'm so sorry for anyone that I've mis-informed. Best advice is, keep it to myself. #derp

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

OMG! I'm really sorry, but what I thought was Jap.Knot was bind-weed. I feel like a complete fool, so please dis-reguard anything I've posted on this subject.

I was under the impression that the white trumpet flowers where knotweed...seems I've been pissing up-stream and got some backwash.

WoW. I'm so sorry for anyone that I've mis-informed. Best advice is, keep it to myself. #derp

Simple mistake, don't worry about it:D my grandad used to call bindweed "robin-run-the-hedge". I never heard anyone else call it that.

You know that sticky weed with the little sticky balls on? Don't know what it's called but it's some pain in the hole when you have a long-haired cat!

I do have a piece of advice that will work though. FLAME WEEDER!. Basic roofing torch on propane tank in the general areas. It will kill the new growth, and if you "re-apply" every two two weeks, you may only have to deal with offshoots, burn them too, when you see them. But to be fair, I haven't a clue.....just ask my wife! xd

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Same problem here, reported a big clump to the council last year, it's on private land so it's staying. I've noticed the council are doing a good job clearing it in other areas (roadside) though. Re-growth was very weak this year. I wonder what they're using? Roundup maybe?

The council told me to use Roundup.

• Advertisement

Simple mistake, don't worry about it:D my grandad used to call bindweed "robin-run-the-hedge". I never heard anyone else call it that.

You know that sticky weed with the little sticky balls on? Don't know what it's called but it's some pain in the hole when you have a long-haired cat!

I think you call it, "prickly-stickly, cat don't sticky?"

The council told me to use Roundup.

I would invoke the anti-christ of roundup, seems like a lazy answer to me. There must be a cure?

Having a guess you are the two fab people on YouTube. (hope so) blow-inblog.. love you guys...anyhow.

you need to target the rhizomes, a lot like nettles, certain types of bamboo; they're a creeper. I haven't pushed back against knotweed...yet, some chefs will pay for the flower, tastes great! And like nettles they can be a bitch to contain. If the stuff is invading beauty and your garde.... you need to maybe mulch heavy, but I do know the feelers it can send out. Meters long and tends to work in pairs, inter-weiving.

You find the roots, you find the source, but it will propagate readily like comfrey. I'm moving into the comfrey business, but like anything, tending is friending.

Nuke it! is the option that Donald Trump would give you, my advice, is work with it....or kill it!

Hi shrubsandsudz - I don't have any blog on youtube....but hopefully I am still fab :)

Hi shrubsandsudz - I don't have any blog on youtube....but hopefully I am still fab :)

Yep, just thought you were westoutwestblowin on youtube. You fab yo! :D

I would invoke the anti-christ of roundup, seems like a lazy answer to me. There must be a cure?

I don't want a cure - its not got a disease, its an envasive non indigenous species that needs to be (dalek voice) E X T E R M I N A T E D.

I believe that Icade is being used by some http://rigbytaylor.s3.amazonaws.com/product_brochure/icade.pdf .

Don't bother trying to burn it as has been suggested, any damage to the top growth just makes it spread more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was thinking you were mistaken; JK will come up through concrete so mulching heavily won't do a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

kylith wrote: »
    I was thinking you were mistaken; JK will come up through concrete so mulching heavily won't do a thing.

It wont come up through concrete,this is a common myth, however it will come through cracks and holes in concrete searching for light. Buddleia and Ivy will do the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Here's an update on my Japanese Knotweed plantation. As I posted last year we treated about a third of our garden last autumn by injecting the stems with a Roundup / water 1:1 mix. In the last few weeks some red asparagus like shoots have started to appear in the untreated two thirds of the garden.

In October I tied a yellow rope across the garden to mark the extent of the area that was treated. So far I haven't seen any red shoots trying to pop up in the treated area just two tiny, very thin JK plants with one or two leaves. I was expecting this as it was impossible to see every tiny stem in the dense growth. This is promising but I'll know more in the coming weeks. If successful with this first attempt the plan is to take a few days off in the autumn to try to wipe out the rest. I'm thinking I'll have it under control or even eradicated by next year.

Anyone else have any updates to share? I'd be very interested to hear of your experiences with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A lot of smart ****s here today me thinks.

who of course never, ever make typos ;)

• Advertisement

Noticed the lumpy bumpy nobly stumps of JK on our shingle beach are making a fasciated comeback. The area has been sprayed on and off over about 10 years but I've only really gone to town on it over the last 5. Last year nothing got above about a foot tall all fasciated from previous glyphosate applications and the regrowth had 2 good applications of glyphosate. Plan the same for it this year. The roots which are often exposed by the movement of the pebbles on the beach are a good inch or more thick and the stumps with the regrowth up to 6 inches across.

Similar twice a year treatment over 4-5 years seems to have completely eradicated the JK from other areas near by. After the first year the amount of regrowth is very small but it still needs its medicine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    It wont come up through concrete,this is a common myth, however it will come through cracks and holes in concrete searching for light. Buddleia and Ivy will do the exact same.

I wouldn't get complacent.

No were does that video show it coming up though concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

my3cents wrote: »
    No were does that video show it coming up though concrete.

I was taking the "experts" word for it.

Again its pushing up through gaps. Houses in the UK often have suspended wooden floors which means you can have it under the floor of a new build and it will come up through any gaps. In the typical poured concrete floor of an Irish house you shouldn't see JK coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

After the initial find which was sprayed it showed up last year, just a shoot. I hit it with some weed killer....I killed it but also a tree(Cheery Blossom).....

So far this year no sign of it at all, it was only the one shoot of it so I hope to have knocked it out for good now....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Another update...........heading for June now and still no sign of JK in the treated area (well....apart from two or three that I obviously missed!). The area I treated is 20m x 7m. I've dug out all the dead root tops and what ever rhizomes I could see. This weekend I'm spreading topsoil and all going well we'll be seeding next week.

I know it's very early days but we're delighted with the results so far. It gives us great hope that we'll be able to wipe out the rest in the Autumn. The untreated stuff is about 7ft high already. We've got 40m x 7m of that to do so we have a lot of hard work ahead of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

pawdee wrote: »
    Another update...........heading for June now and still no sign of JK in the treated area (well....apart from two or three that I obviously missed!). The area I treated is 20m x 7m. I've dug out all the dead root tops and what ever rhizomes I could see. This weekend I'm spreading topsoil and all going well we'll be seeding next week.

I know it's very early days but we're delighted with the results so far. It gives us great hope that we'll be able to wipe out the rest in the Autumn. The untreated stuff is about 7ft high already. We've got 40m x 7m of that to do so we have a lot of hard work ahead of us!
    Good work!

Best of luck with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Hey guys, been reading through the thread as I've been a bit concerned about a few different creatures in the front and back gardens of a house we've just bought. Based on the links and expert tell-tale signs pointed out I don't think we have a Japanese knotweed problem (although may have various related weeds), but would be very glad of some confirmation/opinions from you kind strangers on the internet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Nope, nothing even remotely resembling japanese knotweed - though I would take out that sycamore growing beside the wall, second last pic I think. It will soon become a liability just there.

Advertisement