Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book recommendation: something that blew your mind

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

I adored Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tuesdays with Morrie is very uplifting, makes you examine your relationships with those close to you and makes you look at life slightly differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Acheron3

The Age of Absurdity: Why Modern Life Makes It Hard to Be Happy by Michael Foley
    Light and profound at the same time.

+1 to this. Really enjoyed it, much more than a sacastic coffee table book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

DS333 wrote: »
    "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. I know she's pushing her philosophy but they're both a damned good read, different to anything else I've read.

I've heard "Atlas Shrugged" mentioned many times on the web and decided to give it a go but really struggling to finish it. When they're not having sex (like something out of Mills & Boon) her characters are giving looong speeches. Determined to finish it to see where its going but not enjoying as much as I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

A million little pieces James Frey.
    Don't let the controveresery around the book distract you from what is a pure page turner. I dare you not to read it!!

Also if you like it, try My Friend Leonard, same author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris (frikkin' awesomely written)

Catcher In The Rye by J D Salinger

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

noserider wrote: »
    A million little pieces James Frey.
    Don't let the controveresery around the book distract you from what is a pure page turner. I dare you not to read it!!

Also if you like it, try My Friend Leonard, same author.

Omg, I hated that book so much still beating myself up for wasting time reading it!:( And that was before i found out he made up most of the rubish!:mad: A million little lies would be a more siutable title

Having root canals without anestesia, yeah right...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

Everything by Farren Farrell, especially the myth of male power. It really opened my eyes and completely changed the way I see the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Shelley's Frankenstein... reading it my mind was absolutely blown. The book in all honesty couldn't be further from any of the films made of it (Branagh's was closest, but Christ that was tripe). I really longed for there to be a spinoff book from the monster's POV, because I felt there was a segment that desperately needed expanding and gave a whole different dynamic to the book. No spoilers here, go and read it!

Clavell's Shogun. Total page turner, and though it was (loosely) based on historical fact so not all *that* much was a surprise, I found the humanity and emotions portrayed amazingly. Also, his King Rat was also a great hard-to-put-down read, and the ending shows a deep shock of cold as the roles are lost in the bite of release.

Orwell's 1984. Not long finished this myself, and it was on my to-do list for a long time. I found most of it underwhelming at best, but jeez, the anger/pity it brought out in me to read the last few pages.... very powerful stuff. Ended in a way I completely did not see coming... to me I always think that's the highest compliment you can pay a writer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig. I've been fascinated with the idea of quality since. I've recently bought it for my wife and I bet she will get something different from it than I did.

Ayn Rand - Atlas shrugged has been mentioned also. It's a bit drawn out at the times but some of the ideas are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 claudrinaB

Cant recommend Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts enough! Such a good read. I read it a few years ago and it still crosses my mind every now and then. Its based on the authors real life events, as a criminal he escapes prison and flees to India.
    Think Johnny Depp bought the movie rights not so long ago. :)

Yeh loved Shantaram. Isn't he supposed to be writing either a prequel or sequel? Must have a look

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Cosmos - Carl Sagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

'The Art of Inner Peace' free e book about spiritual awareness.

http://www.paulwilliams.ie/Books/The%20Art%20Of%20Inner%20Peace.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield.
    I read it when it first came out and it had a bit of a cult following
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Celestine_Prophecy

• Advertisement

18AD wrote: »
    The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot.

Read this recently. Excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Not sure about life changing but definately thought provoking, I'd recommend anything by Xinran especially 'The Good Women of China' (it's a short enough read too if you just want to give it a try).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Currently reading shantaram, dam it's a long book..about 50% through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

syngindub wrote: »

Love Shantaram. He says it's part of a quartet. I hope he can maintain the standard with the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

how old is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Acid House-Irvine Welsh: This was the first of the Welsh books that I read when I was about 18 and it made me realise that there was a whole different genre of book out there that I didn't even know existed. A genre where the darkest of my thoughts were surpassed, spun in great storytelling style.

Outliers-Malcolm Gladwell: Gladwell tells how to be highly successful you need three things: natural ability, hard work and luck. In part this book inspired me to change my career path completely.

how old is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Wild Swans by Jung Chang.

It's a great telling of China's modern history as seen through three generations of Chinese women.

Still to tackle her Mao biography.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AngelLight

I have to say I absolutely love books! I have so many of them and a kindle that I wonder if I have a problem hehehe. No seriously I really enjoy reading and enjoy many spiritual books and fiction too. I've just finished reading a trilogy by Brent Weeks Shadows, Beyond The Shadows, Shadow's Edge. They are set in medieval times with Magic, Mages and many interesting battles and characters oh and assassins or wetboys as they are known in the books. They are also a story with humor, love and conspiracies. There is colorful language in them so if your easily offended then maybe not for you. You can't help but love the main character and dislike the nasty bad guys. These made a nice change to some of my other books, which as I said are mainly spiritual. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Has me still thinking about it 3 weeks after finishing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Hidden Soldier by Padraig O'Keefe - Biography. An Irish chef in Cavan runs off and joins the French Foreign Legion and ends up in Iraq during the worst part of the insurgency. He ends up being the only survivor of an ambush on a convoy near Falujah. Just the most amazing book from start to finish. This guy tells the story with such honesty and it will grab any guy/girl who ever wanted to join the army by the nuts and tug hard. Hair just stood on the back of my neck as he described the ambush of the convoy near the end and the death, one by one, of the other mercenaries/truck drivers that were with him. His description of when he realized he was the last man standing is chilling.

The Bodhran Makers by John B. Keane - The best written story I've ever come across. Perfectly depects the beauty, repression, madness and social injustice of a small rural Irish parish in early 1900's. Tarry Flynn by Patrick Kavanagh was along a similar vein and just knocked my socks off when I was studying English for my Leaving Cert.

Big Bang by Simon Singh - Presents the origins of our universe with absolute clarity and explores all the twists and turns in the science that led to current day thinking on the subject, from ancient greece to today. I just couldnt put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AshleyRose330

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson was thrilling yet moving.

I was thinking about it for weeks after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Philip Carlo's The Ice Man - Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer. Excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aliceayres

I was really looking forward to reading that until someone told me it was largely fiction :(

I think some of the characters and dialogue are fictional but a lot of the situations he wrote about are real.

It's well worth a read anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 aliceayres

Synode wrote: »
    I think some of the characters and dialogue are fictional but a lot of the situations he wrote about are real.

It's well worth a read anyway.
    Perhaps largely was unkind and it's been recommended to me so many times it must be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

The Floating Opera, by John Barth.

Probably the most surprising book I have ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Has me still thinking about it 3 weeks after finishing it.

My wife bought it for me to- day, and I was wondering where I'd heard of it before. It's still on the Sunday Times best sellers list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

By Brian Weiss. I have reread it many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Miracle in the Andes - Nando Parrado

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, its the famous story of the Uruguayan rugby team that crash lands in the Andes in 1972 told by the main man himself. Alive was a good book, but very matter of fact. This on the other hand is told in a really personal way. A book I just couldnt put down. There are moments of awesome-ness that blow the scale, how Parrado and canesa did what they did is mindblowing. Inspiring to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

On Conspiracies and The Prince by Machiavelli

It's a book I think every guy should read

Henry Thoreau'S Civil Disobedience

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

The Thirteenth Tribe - Arthur Koestler.

Fingerprints of the Gods - Graham Hancock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

'Amusing Ourselves to Death' by Neil Postman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

heard John Lloyd of QI on BBC 6 Music yesterday talking about his new book.... 1,339 QI Facts To Make Your Jaw Drop... it sounds great

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mylbr

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

On the Beach by Neville Shute. Very old book now but I read it when I was much younger, it has stayed with me ever since. Great movie made out of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Man's search for meaning by Viktor Frankl. It's just remarkable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%27s_Search_for_Meaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

jaqian wrote: »
    I've heard "Atlas Shrugged" mentioned many times on the web and decided to give it a go but really struggling to finish it. When they're not having sex (like something out of Mills & Boon) her characters are giving looong speeches. Determined to finish it to see where its going but not enjoying as much as I was.

I have to say it's possibly the worst book I've ever read. Dagny and her contemptuous looks indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart. Thirty True Things You Need to Know Now. By Gordon Livingston, m.d.

A short little book, but a great insight into the dynamics of husband / wife and family relationships.

Really practical and common sense. A bit uncomfortable to read in places - it certainly challenges many assumptions that you hold.

But well worth the effort. Worth re-reading every so often, to remind yourself how family interactions are triggered. Particularly in husband / wife relationships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Howyahorse

Bill Cullen's Its a long way from Penney Apples..
    Read it about 5 years ago and it has kept me motivated and working hard ever since
    On my must read list for next month..mind you it'll be the only book i'll read!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Oleta

Homer and Langley - E. L. Doctorow

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 bleet

great thread, thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

A Course in Miralces - can't remember the name of the authors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag