Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neural Programming and Assumptive Reasoning in Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Unbelievable. Absolutely mind-boggling. Thank God I have the house to myself as I was just going "ba ba baaaaa ba ba baaa ba" and it's like my mind automatically changed over as he jumped up and down the scale. Unbelievable demonstration of the subconscious thinking in the human mind. Thanks for posting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At last! I know why I keep returning to the pentatonic scale.

I can sleep easy tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/08/01/bobby-mcferrin-hacks.html

An awesome demonstration by Bobby McFerrin on the near instinctive behavioural capabilities of the mind demonstrated by music.

This clip does not demonstrate anything special about the pentatonic scale he chose. Although i hope that was not what he was trying to prove.

At 1:06 he gives the audience the note "la".
    The fact that he skips the note "ti" is what makes people start thinking in pentatonic.
    Had he given the note "so" instead of "la" the audience would imo have performed equally well with this new tetratonic scale.

Given that music forms an integral part of every culture, i am not really suprised that most adults have built up some basic musical reasoning. Rather, i think music (a bit like maths) is something in which a lot of people chronically under-estimate their own abilities, probably because of how talented a minority have managed to become.

Advertisement