Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pouring topsoil on broken concrete slab

Options
  • 28-05-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone, we bought our home 4 years ago and our backgarden is a backyard (concrete everywhere!). I think the previous owner really want to have a very easy maintenance “backyard” We have decided this year to change it and put loads of lawn.

My hardworking husband kangooed the concrete and now have concrete slabs and underneath mixture of gravel, sand and soil. My question is that since the concrete are now cracked, can we put topsoil on it to have a lawn? I imagine we need tons as the area about 8m x 6m to be raised by 2 feet. Can we just leave the broken concrete and pour topsoil to save money from skip and topsoil? Will keeping the concrete help to drain water too if we pour topsoil?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emeraldpearl

Our broken concrete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If the concrete is broken up as well as that then it is probably OK to leave it there under the topsoil if you are putting in a good depth. But why do you need 600mm of topsoil? is that not a bit excessive?

I'd be inclined to lay just 200mm of topsoil but then you could have the problem of the grass drying out in dry weather as the moisture won't be able to come up from below as easily with the concrete so I would take out the broken concrete.

If the concrete is broken up as well as that then it is probably OK to leave it there under the topsoil if you are putting in a good depth. But why do you need 600mm of topsoil? is that not a bit excessive?

I'd be inclined to lay just 200mm of topsoil but then you could have the problem of the grass drying out in dry weather as the moisture won't be able to come up from below as easily with the concrete so I would take out the broken concrete.

Thanks for the reply. We want a good height because it’s quite deep plus I plan to plant small tree, plants and flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. The concrete will affect the way the ground drains, possibly making it dryer in dry weather and wetter in wet weather.

2. Do not raise the ground level up against buildings - you can end up with penetrating damp and/or structural issues.

3. Do not interfere with sewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would get rid of the concrete, otherwise you're just creating bigger problems for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, get rid of it. apart from possible issues mentioned above, you'll be painting yourself into a corner of what you can do with that in future.
    if it's the extent of what you can see in the photo, that should easily fit into a mini skip.

oh, get rid of it. apart from possible issues mentioned above, you'll be painting yourself into a corner of what you can do with that in future.
    if it's the extent of what you can see in the photo, that should easily fit into a mini skip.

Thanks. It wouldn’t fit in the skip as we need 8m x 6m to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

you would need too much topsoil to clear the concrete. Its much easier to just get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

8x6 is a big enough area of concrete alright but it would be a shame to leave it there after breaking it up.
    If you weren't planning to get rid of it I'd of say just deck over it or lots of plant boxes.

Rather than spend the money on topsoil to get a good depth you would be better get rid of the concrete and let the tress have good access to the soil below.

The area is 50m2 ish so to get a depth of 60cm (2ft) is 30 cubic meters of topsoil. At 75 per cubic meter (here, you can probably get cheaper for large amount but lets go with it) thats 2,250 euro.

A 20 cubic yard skip is about 700 and you would fit all your concrete in it. So you could get that and half the amount of topsoil and have a much better end result for less money in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cruizer101 wrote: »
    A 20 cubic yard skip is about 700
    i doubt a skip that big would be needed; the concrete doesn't look very thick, only about 5cm maybe? if so, the 50sq m would take up 2.5cubic metres. double that to allow for the skip filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It looks to be about an inch thick. That's around 1 cubic metre. Even with gaps between chunks you'll fit it in a skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You need to establish where the damp proof course is there, it looks as though you would only have room for maybe a couple of inches of topsoil? 2 ft would have lawn at almost window-ledge height! What the others have said makes most sense, spend money getting rid of the concrete and put in less topsoil, it would probably be cheaper.

Also that quantity of topsoil is going to have a very odd effect at boundaries where any hedges and fences are involved. Really not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

i doubt a skip that big would be needed; the concrete doesn't look very thick, only about 5cm maybe? if so, the 50sq m would take up 2.5cubic metres. double that to allow for the skip filling?

I erred on the side of caution and went with 10 cm, its hard to judge but some pieces beside the shovel looked about a third the length of the metal bit.

So I went with double what you are saying, and agree double to allow for gaps is probably generous.
    Also you are not meant to fill the smaller skips with just concrete rubble.
    Its a worst case scenario, if they need smaller even better.

Advertisement