Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary schools zoom learning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

That is about right for a child in 6th class at the moment. That could take double the time for a less able child.

Feedback after last lockdown was that 2-3hrs work was what parents wanted for the senior end.

Feedback from whom and to whom?

Certainly no attempt from our school to discuss experience of remote learning from the first lockdown with parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

daheff wrote: »

Certainly no attempt from our school to discuss experience of remote learning from the first lockdown with parents.

Well we did. Parents don't want huge amounts of work as it leads to arguments and tantrums at home.

Talking to parents today I seemed to get it about right. I'll up it again next week once everyone is comfortable with recording stuff and uploading stuff to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

daheff wrote: »

Could you not send an email?

jlm29 wrote: »

See that would be the sensible thing to do but giving out on boards is a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

See that would be the sensible thing to do but giving out on boards is a lot easier.

Dude admit you have tunnel vision. This posters experience matches many of us parents. seeing the same comments from people i know with kids on twitter. Matches Stories at work from other parents I know.

For the most part there is little effort to look for feedback. 1 general email address for the office to cover the entire school...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There was no effort to look for feedback from ours, but they have changed their approach this time around, and in addition, the teacher has requested several times already that we give her feedback.The principal sent an email requesting all parents to ensure kids engage as much as possible, according to family circumstances..

SI here,Zoom contact at 11.30 every day and the request is that we try to make it to at least 1 or 2 of those a week.Teacher uploaded the week's work...mainly practical bits accompanied by some worksheets....and has uploaded several bitesize videos of herself reading a story for them to write about and discuss, and teaching certain phonics sounds.

I would contact the school, either privately through the app, or through the email if you are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Day two and I am feeling quite positive about how it’s going. Sunday email with assigned work. Then they had a zoom call yesterday where they talked about the Christmas Holidays. Another Zoom with the class happening today.

He will have daily zooms with his resource teacher. Today the resource teacher talked about how he was feeling and discussed zones of regulation. In last lockdown we went from a happy boy to one who was anxious and easily upset. He went back to his old self in September. We went straight back there to an anxious child again last week when the announcement was made about closing schools. I was so impressed with seeing the resource teacher helping my son with his feelings.

Hopefully this new approach from the school will help my son deal with this lockdown.

mohawk wrote: »
    Day two and I am feeling quite positive about how it’s going. Sunday email with assigned work. Then they had a zoom call yesterday where they talked about the Christmas Holidays. Another Zoom with the class happening today.

He will have daily zooms with his resource teacher. Today the resource teacher talked about how he was feeling and discussed zones of regulation. In last lockdown we went from a happy boy to one who was anxious and easily upset. He went back to his old self in September. We went straight back there to an anxious child again last week when the announcement was made about closing schools. I was so impressed with seeing the resource teacher helping my son with his feelings.

Hopefully this new approach from the school will help my son deal with this lockdown.

People have to let schools and teachers have a chance to show that lessons have been learnt by some with regards to what is needed. Also parents need to accept that school can't be replicated at home. Their children aren't going to have work for 5hrs a day.

I had a lovely email from a parent last night who happens to be a secondary school principal, saying that their child had really enjoyed what I had setup and done yesterday and that the right balance had been struck. Work totaled about 2hrs in total for this child but requires zero parental input which is what I am aiming for in the majority of my homes. Now I can imagine it isn't quite the same in some of the other homes in my class but I can't regulate for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well our SI Zoom call was an extremely impressive effort this morning.Teacher is very efficient, mind you.She simply took the approach that she was in the room in front of them, ran through all the Irish phrases with them as she usually would and they responded.Quick chat about the couple of topics for the week, quick game and a look at some of their drawings and signed off.Very good approach. I expect to have to input in my child's work - or monitor at the very least, and get her set up and that, but at most if I get an hour out of her, I am happy.We will find our rhthym as time goes on, same as last time but the regular touchpoints with the school help a lot.

Does anybody have to download Bua na Cainte?The site to download from seems to have completely crashed for me yesterday and today.

shesty wrote: »
    Well our SI Zoom call was an extremely impressive effort this morning.Teacher is very efficient, mind you.She simply took the approach that she was in the room in front of them, ran through all the Irish phrases with them as she usually would and they responded.Quick chat about the couple of topics for the week, quick game and a look at some of their drawings and signed off.Very good approach. I expect to have to input in my child's work - or monitor at the very least, and get her set up and that, but at most if I get an hour out of her, I am happy.We will find our rhthym as time goes on, same as last time but the regular touchpoints with the school help a lot.

Does anybody have to download Bua na Cainte?The site to download from seems to have completely crashed for me yesterday and today.

The site collapsed yesterday as every JI and SI teacher seems to have instructed their parents to download it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I figured.
    Looked again this evening, they have updated it - added a link for Google download along with the other one.Seems to be ok again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Bua Na Cainte can't be downloaded onto tablet or phone. Bit of a pain.
    My son's teacher sent pre-recorded maths videos and it was so natural and relaxed that when she asked a question, he'd answer and her timing was so perfect that she'd say "well done" and he was convinced she was speaking directly to him. Very cute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

jlm29 wrote: »

What makes you think we didn't give feedback to the school?

From the other poster, it seemed that there was some formal feedback mechanism in place. Hence my question.

I do think that there should be daily zoom calls from teachers. I get we can't replicate school 100% at home...but I do think a lot of schools can try harder.

Round and round we go. This is more tiring than remote teaching and learning and that is bloody exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

And my primary school son has just completed all of todays work. Its 915am. He started at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I would say it's scandalous that there are primary schools not doing online classes. I'm teaching primary kids in HK on zoom since last April. Mostly we are taking them in groups of 6-10 reading books with them and asking comprehension questions. I also prepared four after school courses for different grades where they can practice creative writing, give book reports, and learn about world cultures. I also use short videos and games to break up the lessons. I think for online each segment of the lesson needs to be shorter to keep things fresh.

Honestly can't believe that some/many Irish schools are just giving out homework and correcting it.

heldel00 wrote: »
    Bua Na Cainte can't be downloaded onto tablet or phone. Bit of a pain.

I find it to be a terrible programme to use at home to be honest.

yankinlk wrote: »
    And my primary school son has just completed all of todays work. Its 915am. He started at 9.

What class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My brain is exploding trying to do senior infants with my own kid after the day teaching second level kids and doing ICT support. It’s also in Irish and I would be the weaker speaker in Irish. There are so many links, so many activities, he needs constant monitoring or he tunes out. 1.5hrs this evening in between cooking dinner and all the other things needing doing before I gave up

Thankfully he’s doing the childminders kids junior infant stuff (not gaelscoil) as well so at least he’s getting practise during the day on some things like art and pe even if it’s not his teachers work and it’s not in Irish

My brain is exploding trying to do senior infants with my own kid after the day teaching second level kids and doing ICT support. It’s also in Irish and I would be the weaker speaker in Irish. There are so many links, so many activities, he needs constant monitoring or he tunes out. 1.5hrs this evening in between cooking dinner and all the other things needing doing before I gave up

Thankfully he’s doing the childminders kids junior infant stuff (not gaelscoil) as well so at least he’s getting practise during the day on some things like art and pe even if it’s not his teachers work and it’s not in Irish

OMG, same here. I messaged the teacher last night to tell her we’d be late with a lot of the work because we’re doing it in the evenings and at weekends. She replied that that was no problem but that he’d be able to do watch her prerecorded clips independently. But he’s five. He won’t manage to find the videos on see saw unless someone is there to put them on for him? And be definitely won’t actually watch them. Or maybe my kids are slower than normal kids?

• Advertisement

No, they are not jml, my 6 year old sits beside me for an hour every morning, watching the bits of videos and doing the bits of work she needs to do.It requires constant monitoring, and I do try to stand back and encourage her to work a bit independently, but still need to intervene regularly to keep her on track.And equally balance the fact that she gets tired after 10-15 mins.I had to give up this morning after literacy and phonics because I had a work call at 10am, then I was thinking would I do maths this evening after work...and THEN started worrying that she was benefitting from none of it if I was doing it scattered throughout the day, that it was teaching her nothing.It is so bloody hard.And now I have to log back into work and send several emails that I didn't get to or just couldn't draft while I had one ear on a 6 year old.I just feel the only result from all of this is burned out parents and kids, it achieves very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

shesty wrote: »
    No, they are not jml, my 6 year old sits beside me for an hour every morning, watching the bits of videos and doing the bits of work she needs to do.It requires constant monitoring, and I do try to stand back and encourage her to work a bit independently, but still need to intervene regularly to keep her on track.And equally balance the fact that she gets tired after 10-15 mins.I had to give up this morning after literacy and phonics because I had a work call at 10am, then I was thinking would I do maths this evening after work...and THEN started worrying that she was benefitting from none of it if I was doing it scattered throughout the day, that it was teaching her nothing.It is so bloody hard.And now I have to log back into work and send several emails that I didn't get to or just couldn't draft while I had one ear on a 6 year old.I just feel the only result from all of this is burned out parents and kids, it achieves very little.

Pretty much the exact same here too. A zoom call would be a waste of time because he would spend most of it making faces at himself and climbing under the chair. I get through some of his work in short bursts of 15 minutes here and there. His teacher has sent on varied types of work. Only way I could possibly get through it all is if I wasn’t working myself and if he was an only child. Not the case in our house though.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I would say it's scandalous that there are primary schools not doing online classes. I'm teaching primary kids in HK on zoom since last April. Mostly we are taking them in groups of 6-10 reading books with them and asking comprehension questions. I also prepared four after school courses for different grades where they can practice creative writing, give book reports, and learn about world cultures. I also use short videos and games to break up the lessons. I think for online each segment of the lesson needs to be shorter to keep things fresh.

Honestly can't believe that some/many Irish schools are just giving out homework and correcting it.
    In fairness, they are locking up people in Hong Kong for expressing their democratic preference, We have a culture that protects privacy hence GDPR and Child protection means that live classes can be a minefield . E.g. if you are on zoom and one student is screen recording the session using something like bandicam they could in theory record another student and do God knows what with the images. School's have piss poor data protection and from what I've heard its the teacher who become responsible for data if they use Teams or meet or zoom.

In fairness, they are locking up people in Hong Kong for expressing their democratic preference, We have a culture that protects privacy hence GDPR and Child protection means that live classes can be a minefield . E.g. if you are on zoom and one student is screen recording the session using something like bandicam they could in theory record another student and do God knows what with the images. School's have piss poor data protection and from what I've heard its the teacher who become responsible for data if they use Teams or meet or zoom.

Like that video that’s doing the rounds at the moment of a teacher teaching 5 or 6 kids on zoom and one of their mothers walks in naked into the room in the background? And there’s me positioning the camera when I’ve to take a photo or video of one of the kids and double checking to make sure there’s no mess in the background

Shesty, Jlm that’s our experience. He’s just turning 6 and while he could sit doing Lego for ages he has absolutely no attention span for school work. He has to be constantly reminded to look at the Muinteoir, never mind actually repeat what she’s saying to him. The zoom call was ridiculous and unless it changes format I may not collect him early for it because it was literally sit and wait for your turn to speak for 30 seconds about your Christmas present. If I wasn’t standing over him he’d have been swinging from the light bulbs for the attention he was paying.

I’ve sent over worksheets of Irish words for him to copy for the childminder for tomorrow so that at least he’s practising with his pen but I’m going to be the one struggling with him on the ‘think of a word with the a sound in it’ for twenty different words in the evenings. I need a patience pill... there’s a reason I chose not to go teach primary school and covid has absolutely reminded me lol

Edit: to be clear apart from the zoom call format his teacher is playing a blinder with multiple loom videos etc every day. It’s just his age and the Irish that’s making it horrendous

God Mirrorwall, that sounds like the horrors. She will be 7 in the summer. I posted here earlier, our teacher is excellent on Zoom with them to be fair to her. Keeps it really brief though. She sent a video of herself cooking today (something simple) and they had to write down the "method" in their copies - just 6 short steps. 2 sentences in and the pencil was thrown down, the wrist was sore, the hand was sore....we had to walk away for 10 minutes and have an orange and come back to it. Constant chat while it is being done. It isn't possible to leave them work independently at that age, although I can absolutely see an improvement in her from last year.....but still. At best I have half an eye on the laptop, watching any emails but I am not actually doing any work for the duration. At least my other 2 are in the minders for the schooling part of the day I suppose, very small silver linings.

Shesty, Jlm that’s our experience. He’s just turning 6 and while he could sit doing Lego for ages he has absolutely no attention span for school work. He has to be constantly reminded to look at the Muinteoir, never mind actually repeat what she’s saying to him. The zoom call was ridiculous and unless it changes format I may not collect him early for it because it was literally sit and wait for your turn to speak for 30 seconds about your Christmas present. If I wasn’t standing over him he’d have been swinging from the light bulbs for the attention he was paying.

I’ve sent over worksheets of Irish words for him to copy for the childminder for tomorrow so that at least he’s practising with his pen but I’m going to be the one struggling with him on the ‘think of a word with the a sound in it’ for twenty different words in the evenings. I need a patience pill... there’s a reason I chose not to go teach primary school and covid has absolutely reminded me lol

Edit: to be clear apart from the zoom call format his teacher is playing a blinder with multiple loom videos etc every day. It’s just his age and the Irish that’s making it horrendous

What format did the zoom call take and what would you like to see instead?

What format did the zoom call take and what would you like to see instead?

All students on the one call. Each student called in turn and asked how Christmas was. Add in the fumbling of parents or Muinteoir trying to unmute them in turn and they didn’t get through half of them. It’s a lovely idea, except there is far too many of them to do that and the others are all sitting muted. It would have been more productive to do short 15 minute calls with smaller groups in my opinion.

Having said that I’m not a primary teacher so maybe this is the usual? I imagine doing it in school is easier but he had to be constantly reminded to keep an eye on the screen. He wasn’t really listening at all

To be honest though it’s been a really hard week for me in work, add in schooling on top of it, steroids, lack of sleep and I’m a right grumpy mama right now.

Tomorrow will be a better day

All students on the one call. Each student called in turn and asked how Christmas was. Add in the fumbling of parents or Muinteoir trying to unmute them in turn and they didn’t get through half of them. It’s a lovely idea, except there is far too many of them to do that and the others are all sitting muted. It would have been more productive to do short 15 minute calls with smaller groups in my opinion.

Having said that I’m not a primary teacher so maybe this is the usual? I imagine doing it in school is easier but he had to be constantly reminded to keep an eye on the screen. He wasn’t really listening at all

To be honest though it’s been a really hard week for me in work, add in schooling on top of it, steroids, lack of sleep and I’m a right grumpy mama right now.

Tomorrow will be a better day

I'm sure the teacher will have worked out for themselves that having a whole class at the junior end of the school on a social call isn't ideal. Now mine know when we have a whole class zoom call that it's business and schooling. They also know that I plan to do smaller group calls for some reading and social chat next week.

• Advertisement

I'm sure the teacher will have worked out for themselves that having a whole class at the junior end of the school on a social call isn't ideal. Now mine know when we have a whole class zoom call that it's business and schooling. They also know that I plan to do smaller group calls for some reading and social chat next week.

Yeah I'd say so

Advertisement