Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo

Options
  • 15-06-2020 11:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hello,

Any spots around Sligo anybody could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Following!
    Nothing??

Beaches?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

At present , I doubt you would be welcome , being honest .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Why, though?
    Camping is a lot more socially distanced than eg staying in a b-n-b or a hotel.
    The beaches along the Dublin coast are full of happy people, enjoying the nice weather. Why would anyone object to some polite campers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Why, though?
    Camping is a lot more socially distanced than eg staying in a b-n-b or a hotel.
    The beaches along the Dublin coast are full of happy people, enjoying the nice weather. Why would anyone object to some polite campers?

Youre right. Dont mind naysayers. Wild camping is pretty much an under the radar hobby and so you are never going to hear a go-ahead. You can only go by common sense and make comparisons with similar.

Like you said, crowds at beaches are allowed, and protests, so you can work off that.

Hopefully you found a nice spot, that didn't have the company of a welcoming party anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Breezin

Kinda sinister. Is that still a common view?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not remotely sinister �� But as a “ wild camper” you wouldn’t be registered for contact tracing . Considering the news from Sligo this morning , you might even be less welcome now .

Not remotely sinister �� But as a “ wild camper” you wouldn’t be registered for contact tracing . Considering the news from Sligo this morning , you might even be less welcome now .

Surely that would imply the reverse, if one was inclined to that sort of paranoid reaction.

Should people from Sligo be welcome in Dublin? Of course they should, and are, assuming they are observing the rules. The reverse should be no different.

Let me ask you: how will being 'even less welcome' be manifested?

Most Irish land is privately owned . If, to follow the example you gave , a Sligo person were to rock up and camp in Dublin garden, how to you think that Eli oh x go?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Did they ask to camp on private land? Plenty of foreshore and Coillte land that is State owned and can be accessed by all.

Your posts are really contributing nothing to this thread (or the topic of the forum) and disappointing to see a mod trying to shut down the conversation.

Most Irish land is privately owned . If, to follow the example you gave , a Sligo person were to rock up and camp in Dublin garden, how to you think that Eli oh x go?

What an absurd analogy. Who ever considered camping in someone's garden as wild?

I must check to see what's hidden behind the hydrangeas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Being a mod in another forum does not make someone a mod in this forum. So let's just stop with the personal attacks please and let's all stay civil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Orion wrote: »
    Being a mod in another forum does not make someone a mod in this forum. So let's just stop with the personal attacks please and let's all stay civil.

Not one suggestion to my question, just anger, bitterness and using this tool to release it and take cheap jibes at people to somehow make themselves feel better. Sad really. See this a lot on boards. It's immature behaviour

johnmck wrote: »
    Not one suggestion to my question, just anger, bitterness and using this tool to release it and take cheap jibes at people to somehow make themselves feel better. Sad really. See this a lot on boards. It's immature behaviour

Too true. So much paranoia.

I looked at the Irish wild camping group on Facebook and, much as I dislike the platform, there is a far more active and constructive space there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Maps, ordinance survey ones at least, are a great way to look for spots to wild camp along with Google Earth and the likes.

Not a lot of people are going to divulge their wild camp pitches. It's fun to get maps out and study them and look for spots, the further away from roads, the more wild the camp and isolated will be. That is the fun part imo.

With recent wild camp/wild parties going on around the country, destroying certain beauty spots.......I don't think someone is going to steer a person to their sometimes, hard found location.

Be prepared to hike a few miles off the beaten track to get true solitude. Can mean going up a fair few hundred meters uphill, you'll be rewarded for the effort.
    Best also to be able to use a map and compass, to, sometimes, extricate yourself from low cloud/fog conditions also. It's all part of the craic. :D

Benbulbin, Lough Gill shoreline and a lot of coastal shore to camp on. Wish I was there actually........loads of options really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Only camp on benbulben if you're comfortable with the possibility of very angry mountain farmers arriving that are sick of trespassers.

I rarely sympathise with sheep farmers but the landowners they get alot of eejits blocking/leaving gates open, pet dogs running sheep off cliffs etc, so their patience has already been worn down before any Leave No Trace type people turn up.

I would have suggested the ox mountains as its a vast area but I've also seen signposts up there with bullet holes in them so there is that!

The main niggle alot of these farmers would have is that they'd see it as the campers being cheeky and taking the pee by not having the maners to ask permission 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Breezin wrote: »

I looked at the Irish wild camping group on Facebook and, much as I dislike the platform, there is a far more active and constructive space there.

The only thing I miss after deleting Facebook. Pity they dont run a stand alone site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

The only thing I miss after deleting Facebook. Pity they dont run a stand alone site.

Got off Facebook years ago, never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Breezin wrote: »

God I got out of that group pronto the number of gob****es on it are unreal. They're also the reason so many good spots have been ruined and the likes of Lough Dan has turned into something like electric picnic every weekend. :mad: There are very few genuine wild campers in that group.

Advertisement