Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The non-use of cadavers at UL

Options
  • 19-02-2018 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

so I did well enough in my GAMSAT to get an offer from UL, if nothing else, and I was wondering in which way do they learn about the body there? I know they dont use cadavers which has really put me on edge in terms of accepting a place there since I want to give the USLMEs later on and I know for applying to residencies the hospitals in the US would be somewhat weary of a doctor who has never studied or dealt with a real body

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Hi,

so I did well enough in my GAMSAT to get an offer from UL, if nothing else, and I was wondering in which way do they learn about the body there? I know they dont use cadavers which has really put me on edge in terms of accepting a place there since I want to give the USLMEs later on and I know for applying to residencies the hospitals in the US would be somewhat weary of a doctor who has never studied or dealt with a real body

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

They have a large touch screen device that they use for the Anatomy labs, it's 3D from what I recall. Everyone also has an iPad with an Anatomy app. AFAIK there's also Med Schools in the US that don't use cadavers. It may not be for everyone, but I'm sure it works just fine and you'll get on perfectly at UL.

From what I recall at the UCD GEMs evening, there's 10 students per cadaver there. I have UCD down as my first choice, and that's where I am hoping to go, but I'd have no problem accepting a place on any of the 3 other GEM courses. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Don't read too much into the use of cadavers, I went to a university with cadavers and found disection pretty boring, plus it can be hard to get decent time to a cadaver with so many students per body. not sure how much use I found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Don't read too much into the use of cadavers, I went to a university with cadavers and found disection pretty boring, plus it can be hard to get decent time to a cadaver with so many students per body. not sure how much use I found it.

I agree with this. I really enjoyed dissection with cadavers but many people don't enjoy it at all. I really don't think it's in any way essential. However, if you are dead set on surgery, maybe it's something worth taking into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

since I want to give the USLMEs later on and I know for applying to residencies the hospitals in the US would be somewhat weary of a doctor who has never studied or dealt with a real body

Really don’t think this is a consideration for the USMLE. It’s just not the way the exam is focused. Plenty of UL grads match to great programs in the US/Canada without cadavers in Y1 and 2. Similarly, plenty of Irish grads end up on surgery schemes. They just teach you what you actually need to know clinically from scratch anyway. Yes, there are major flaws in anatomy teaching in UL but no course is perfect - they all have their weak points.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

inca2 wrote: »
    Really don’t think this is a consideration for the USMLE. It’s just not the way the exam is focused. Plenty of UL grads match to great programs in the US/Canada without cadavers in Y1 and 2. Similarly, plenty of Irish grads end up on surgery schemes. They just teach you what you actually need to know clinically from scratch anyway. Yes, there are major flaws in anatomy teaching in UL but no course is perfect - they all have their weak points.

Not for USMLE exam I meant for the residency application I hear they take into account “prestige” of the university or something. Which is why I was asking if it would matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Not for USMLE exam I meant for the residency application I hear they take into account “prestige” of the university or something. Which is why I was asking if it would matter

No, not as far as I’m aware. USMLE Step 1 scores are the most important determinant for International Medical Graduates securing a residency from what I’ve heard. The reputation of a university is very minor, if even relevant at all.

Advertisement