Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT Topics

Options
  • 03-04-2018 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I am considering doing the GAMSAT, but am currently studying a business and law degree. The only science subjects I did for the leaving cert were Biology and Ag Science in which I got an A1 and B1 respectively.
    I am wondering would it be difficult to undertake the GAMSAT and if so, what topics in Physics, Chemistry and Biology would I need to study in particular?

Many thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 debbysoap

jnmkl1 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am considering doing the GAMSAT, but am currently studying a business and law degree. The only science subjects I did for the leaving cert were Biology and Ag Science in which I got an A1 and B1 respectively.
    I am wondering would it be difficult to undertake the GAMSAT and if so, what topics in Physics, Chemistry and Biology would I need to study in particular?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, it’s a bit difficult to answer this question as the GAMSAT is not as predictable as it used to be apparently. It’s more reasoning based but you are still expected to know your basic sciences. For example, in the last March test, apparently there was a lack of some of the topics in the paper e.g. genetics, acids and bases, etc. However, it would be irresponsible to not study up to about 1st year university Science level in biology and chemistry. Physics, not so much. Best advice I can give is do a lot of practice, especially practice under exam timed conditions, e.g. do a full practice paper under the same time restrictions as in the real exam. I’m from a Pharmacy background and so am exposed to a lot of chemistry, biology, pharmacology and data analysis so thank God I benefited in that sense. However I did spend a good chunk of summer studying and got a 66 overall, my first attempt last September. I wasn’t expecting such a high score so please do not be too worried/stressed or conversely too lax in your preparation. You’ll need to study and of course, hopefully the exam day goes in your favour. Also, cognitive training exercises and reading on current affairs, which you’re probably used to will help. You’ll most likely have a flair for essay writing too. All in all, study, practice, practice, practice, don’t leave anything out and hope for the best. The exam itself requires a lot of stamina and self motivation so be prepared haha. Some previous threads here and Australian threads have topic lists. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 medennial

I agree with debbysoap, it's definitely a difficult question to answer but it's complete doable!

I come from a very similar background (law/finance undergrad and masters in finance) and sat the GAMSAT for the first time in September with minimal preparation. You just have to play to your strengths. Section 1 and Section 2 will be your best points and you shouldn't neglect preparing for them, as this is where you will really gain extra marks above others. I found the law background definitely helped with the essays in S2 and it was my best section by far (score of 80).

Studying for this exam definitely requires a heap of self motivation, and on the day it's a test of endurance. Start from the basics. I took physics and biology for the LC so wasn't coming into it completely blind but it had been years since I opened a science textbook. The "For Dummies" series and their respective workbooks were a godsend (Physics, Chemistry and Biochemistry). Use these in conjunction with the Des O'Neil workbooks if you can get your hands on them, there are sellers I got them off on adverts.ie I can direct you to if you want.

Alongside this, it's all practice, practice, and practice some more. Get your hands on as many practice papers as you can. Do the papers under timed exam conditions. I actually used to purposely stress myself out by doing the timed exams in the middle of Starbucks haha! I figured that I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't be distracted/the exam centre wouldn't be quiet on the day so I may as well get used to the stressful conditions and anything better than that would be a bonus.

I hope that helps. You did say that you're currently studying a business and law degree. If you're still in undergrad, personally, my main focus would be ensuring I graduated with a 2.1. Without that 2.1 you wouldn't qualify for grad med anywhere so taking the GAMSAT would be futile anyway.
    (Unless you're doing the GAMSAT for other reasons that is and you don't need a 2.1!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

All good advice above. Organic Chemistry is the single most important area of science to work on (I found organic chemistry as a second language amazing, used that along with OC for dummies and the accompanying workbook) and after sitting GAMSAT I regretted not doing enough physics (I barely did any - and actually felt that knowing a bit more physics would have helped with preclinical medicine). In terms of your background, my undergrad was in Business too and I had only studied science to junior cert. I ended up scoring similarly in all 3 sections. So yes, it's entirely doable with enough work.

Advertisement