Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing and classic car insurance?

Options
  • 26-12-2018 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

I've searched the forum but can't find a definitive answer.

I'm considering buying a 40 year old land rover, which I would use on occasion to pull a trailer. My licence covers me to pull trailers but if I can't get the insurance to cover it I'm flumoxed.

Do insurers allow this on classic insurance? If there are, who are they?

Are there insurer's who specifically/categorically say no to towing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Axa don't allow towing on a classic policy, seems they are cutting back on risk across the classic policy. They have also stopped offering agreed values.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

That rules Axa out so. Thanks Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Try FBD car needs to be 25 years old & they dont limit the mileage like all the others . How can anyone survive on a limit of 3k for 12 months going to the shop & back would run that up pretty fast there must be a lot on the road not heading this limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Carole Nash will cover a trailer. I'm waiting for a call back from FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Neilw wrote: »
    Axa don't allow towing on a classic policy, seems they are cutting back on risk across the classic policy. They have also stopped offering agreed values.

Im with AXA. I have agreed value on two cars and I tow with one of them!

Funny old world isn't it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

w124man wrote: »
    Im with AXA. I have agreed value on two cars and I tow with one of them!

Funny old world isn't it!

Wait till you get your renewal, all will change then.

I had 3 cars with axa, agreed value and towing but come renewal they have changed their cover.

Advertisement