Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Fry, what's a no-no?

• 08-09-2018 9:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

What should not be in a good ol fashioned fry?
    The other half insists on mushrooms but those slimy feckers have no place in my opinion.
    I also think beans can gtfo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,414 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For me it's tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Grease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Potato bread and shrooms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭dball

wasn't liver a regular feature on the plate in the good oul days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Cous Cous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

mushrooms.

they're ****ing sick and anyone who likes them is a ****ing sicko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

dball wrote: »
    wasn't liver a regular feature on the plate in the good oul days

Liver in a bit if flour.

Also fried mushrooms and fried bread. Should also use lard instead if oil / butter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

For me it's tomatoes.

And me. Tasteless, hard and watery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Fcking Farls! ....Nordy bread...none of that rubbish stuff here in the Republic!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hash browns. A serious no no for authenticity.

For me a real Irish fry should include: Back rashers, sausages, black and white pudding, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, 2 fried eggs and fried potatoes. Accompanied by hapes of toast and a bucket of tay.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭dball

Brian? wrote: »
    Hash browns. A serious no no for authenticity.

For me a real Irish fry should include: Back rashers, sausages, black and white pudding, mushrooms, fried tomatoes and fried potatoes. Accompanied by hapes of toast and a bucket of tay.

no eggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I prefer a northy one. What they lack in pudding they make up for in bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭brevity

Chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Beans, it’s a fry people, and everyone knows beans along with peas are just straight from the devils backside !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Tomatoes for me too. Don't understand those who say beans. Beans are the glue that hold a good fry together. Without them it's just far too dry. Mushrooms also are awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sausage, rasher, eggs, liver, black and white pudding, a lamb or pork chop, potato bread or soda bread. No mushrooms, tomato or beans and certainly none of that American abomination of hash browns. A few fried onions are permitted.

Degag wrote: »
    Tomatoes for me too. Don't understand those who say beans. Beans are the glue that hold a good fry together. Without them it's just far too dry. Mushrooms also are awesome

Beans should always be in a separate bowl on the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Beans.

Also pot noodle. My Dad went through a phase in the 90s where we'd have a cooked breakfast for a treat at the weekend. An egg, a sausage, a rasher, half a tomato and a pile of instant noodles to bulk it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Brown rice

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »
    no eggs?

Ah Jaysus, I proof read that post 4 times to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. Of course eggs, 2 fried eggs.

they/them/theirs

Sausage, rasher, eggs, liver, black and white pudding, a lamb or pork chop, potato bread or soda bread. No mushrooms, tomato or beans and certainly none of that American abomination of hash browns. A few fried onions are permitted.

Jaysus you are a picky eater. No sausages, rashers or pudding!!:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

mushrooms.

they're ****ing sick and anyone who likes them is a ****ing sicko

I'm in complete agreement with the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Give me sausages, rashers, pudding black and white, beans, tomato, mushrooms, fried spuds/hash browns, eggs must be fried not scrambled and white toast. Guinness sauce or brown sauce for dipping sausages in. Under no circumstances should coffee be had with a fry, 2 mugs of strong tae and that's it sorted.

If you’re putting in liver and chops then you’re in mixed grill territory. That’s a whole different beast than a fry.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I think beans make it an English fry....ya dirty tan bastard. :)

No time for the fried bread and potato bread ****e in the Ulster fry.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I think beans make it an English fry....ya dirty tan bastard. :)
    Well they have to be good for something:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Davexirl

A bloody hard fried egg, the egg or eggs have to be runny as ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Should always have soda bread.

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Should always have soda bread.

It's called a fry for a reason you philistine!

I'd say your no-nos would be things you don't like, and your yes-yeses would be things you do. Pretty basic stuff here people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭dasdog

Not sure what an Irish fry is as there seems to be little difference between it and a full English breakfast. Terrible food culture commonality and a fry up is probably one of the better highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Onions in any way shape or form can **** right off in any meal, but especially breakfast.

dasdog wrote: »
    Not sure what an Irish fry is as there seems to be little difference between it and a full English breakfast. Terrible food culture commonality and a fry up is probably one of the better highlights.

If you don't know the difference then you're not one to be lecturing on food culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I don't mind a fried tomato, but I've seen English people include tinned tomatoes with fries....vile! thankfully never seen them with an Irish Fry

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you don't know the difference then you're not one to be lecturing on food culture.

The difference is regional. Potato farls in Ulster, white pudding in the rest of Ireland, beans and chips in England, god knows what is Scotland. It's a British breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Half a pig, no eggs, beans (taste a lot better with a dusting of salt) tinned tomatoes, mushrooms fried in oil and butter, toast, coffee, statin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I love mushrooms on a steak with some sauce. I don't like them in a fry.

I'm also not form of a tomato on a fry. Why is it there? Makes no sense to me.

I prefer my fry in a Baguette with some ketchup rather than a traditional one in a plate

The difference is regional. Potato farls in Ulster, white pudding in the rest of Ireland, beans and chips in England, god knows what is Scotland. It's a British breakfast.

White pudding? Black pudding is the more dominant pudding tbh

White pudding? Black pudding is the more dominant pudding tbh

Black pudding or blood sausage is global, the Chinese even have a version. White pudding is more unique to Ireland.

• Advertisement

That's grand but said Irish and English, no mention of Scottish or Ulster or British.

We have our Irish breakfast and the Brits have their regional ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Beans.. Straight Red Card

Mushrooms are lovely you philistines!!

The pudding depends on how much bloody grain is in it too. If it's one of those horrible bitty ones they can keep both the black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The Irish part. And the breakfast part. And the fry part. The irish fry is english anyway.

Black pudding or blood sausage is global, the Chinese even have a version. White pudding is more unique to Ireland.

I've had plenty of white pudding in Wales, black pudding is what we are know for, that's what makes a fry....taste is light years different from white pudding

The Irish part. And the breakfast part. And the fry part. The irish fry is english anyway.

There's always some of you can't help yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hard to beat a nice crispy soda bread with your fry. Then load the beans on top like beans on toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Patww79 wrote: »
    Beans should always be in a separate bowl on the plate.

https://youtu.be/eypZnajNdmQ

Sausages, rashers, black and white pudding, fried eggs, toast and tea.

That's what I make - anything else is just excessive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

No tomatoes or those horrible hash browns. It’s so easy to cook proper potatoes if that’s what you want.

And beans are a must. It isn’t a proper fried breakfast without beans

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Hard to beat a nice crispy soda bread with your fry. Then load the beans on top like beans on toast.

Hark!!! What's that I hear?! ... Pearce and Collins turning in their graves!

• Advertisement
Advertisement