Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you date soemone who has a serious illness.

• 15-12-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There was very interesting article in the Irish times magazine on Saturday. It was about a 26 year old women with stage 1V cancer which is generally understood not to be curable. The woman wanted to date and get in to a relationship with someone which is natural and understandable in any 26 year old, however is it a lot to ask of someone to get in to a relationship and possible fall in love knowing the eventual outcome?

I know none of use know what's going to happen in the future so live in the moment. I still think it might be a lot to ask of someone?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It might but then its also losing an opportunity if you say no.

I think I would yes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I dated a girl with tanorexia once

never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Depends on how much money and immediate family they have. :p

Seriously, I don't know. A guy I knew at school married at girl with leukaemia when they were 18, she died six months later. Was going out with another girl about a week after the funeral. Was he a saint? Was he a cnut? I don't know, everybody's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Ulnar

My mum met my dad when he was 19, two weeks before they met he was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour. He told her upfront about his diagnosis. They became engaged within 6 weeks, married within 6 months, had 2 kids and were happily married for 4 years before he passed away.

I remember my mum telling me that as soon as she met my dad she knew he was the one, she didn't care how long she had to spend with him any time was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nobody wants to die lonely, but it's a lot to ask of someone to live with the stress and anxiety of losing someone they love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Ulnar wrote: »
    My mum met my dad when he was 19, two weeks before they met he was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour. He told her upfront about his diagnosis. They became engaged within 6 weeks, married within 6 months, had 2 kids and were happily married for 4 years before he passed away.

I remember my mum telling me that as soon as she met my dad she knew he was the one, she didn't care how long she had to spend with him any time was worth it.

Wow that story hit me right in the feels! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Me 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I wouldn't date someone with a serious illness, a funny illness on the other hand....

True story, I was one when my dad passed away and don't have any memories of him but when I look at my brother, my children I see my dad in them so its true what they say you live on in the ones you love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Me 2

And me. A happy and a sad story rolled up in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

smash wrote: »
    Nobody wants to die lonely, but it's a lot to ask of someone to live with the stress and anxiety of losing someone they love.

Love is a two way street, Real love gives equally to both people, and the pain of losing someone should always be more than matched by the joy of having loved them in the first place.

Not everyone is strong enough to be able to be supportive of someone going through a terminal illness. It requires a special kind of outlook on life, to live for the days that are left and not to dwell on the hardships or the pain or the future after your loved one dies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Life is short one way or another. If you have feelings for someone, regardless of their health, go for it and enjoy each others company and live your life together to the full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Those damn onions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Like anything else really it depends upon the person moreso than the illness itself, I mean, how the illness affects the person in their day to day living and so on and whether I'd be able to cope with that or even make allowances for it. I've dated women in spite of their illness and I couldn't say it was that much different to dating someone who wasn't ill, too many factors to determine anything conclusive really, but I wouldn't say no if I actually liked the person and felt that way about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,615 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Life is short one way or another. If you have feelings for someone, regardless of their health, go for it and enjoy each others company and live your life together to the full.

But it is different supporting someone when you are already in an established relationship before they become ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I wouldn't have any problems beyond the basic practicalities. There are certain illnesses that are just not comparable with a relationship. Cancer although serious is treatable and takes a very, very long time. AIDS is pretty much impossible to pass on if it's treated correctly and it's not a death sentence in the western world.

Ebola on the other hand.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mariaalice wrote: »
    But it is different supporting someone when you are already in an established relationship before they become ill.

The question was 'Would you date someone who has a serious illness'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

mariaalice wrote: »

I suppose it depends like anything. Like having a relationship with someome that had kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some callous folk might see it as a chance to get a free house what with life assurance and mortgage protections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ulnar wrote: »

This literally took my breath away. Your mum sounds like an incredible woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not sure I could date someone with a terminal illness but someone with something like depression, HIV or other serious but manageable conditions I would have no issues with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We've always faced up to my wife's condition with forbearance and courage and I've always loved her deeply.

Being born a culchie was something she had no control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I wouldn't date someone with a serious illness. If I had been on a few dates with someone who then let me know about it at least it would make it easier to part ways. If we were going out for a good while before they told me I would feel lied to so the relationship probably couldn't continue anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I find it quite sexy when men have serious mental illness. I also find it very sexy when they have amputated legs or are blind. I also find epilepsy and diabetes a massive turn-on. All sorts of illnesses are attractive, as long as they aren't contagious. My dream date would be a one-legged, blind epileptic with diabetes. I would love to watch him inject his insulin and then have an epileptic fit. That's one of my major fantasies.

eviltwin wrote: »
    This literally took my breath away. Your mum sounds like an incredible woman.

I think when you meet the one you just know, she saw past his illness. My dad was a pretty cool guy he fell for my mum at first sight. At 19 he was given no hope and when he met my mum she showed him that he had something to live for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

No I wouldn't get into a relationship with someone I knew to be seriously/terminally ill. I wouldn't be to commit mentally/emotionally as I would already know the clock its ticking before the relationship begins.

I also wouldn't be able to commit to someone i knew to have a disability either. I've seen what illnesses and disabilities have done to people in relationships, both the person suffering and the caretaker.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm not sure I could date someone with a terminal illness but someone with something like depression, HIV or other serious but manageable conditions I would have no issues with.

I don't think I would have the mental constitution to do that either. I would have to consider if the relationship lasted what the likely-hood of it having either a hereditary or psychological affect on our kids may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Like anything else really it depends upon the person moreso than the illness itself, I mean, how the illness affects the person in their day to day living and so on and whether I'd be able to cope with that or even make allowances for it. I've dated women in spite of their illness and I couldn't say it was that much different to dating someone who wasn't ill, too many factors to determine anything conclusive really, but I wouldn't say no if I actually liked the person and felt that way about them.

They must have been sick in the head to date you! :D

But you're right. It's the person, not the illness. I've gone out with perfectly healthy people who've turned out to be f.ucking misery c.unts who've made my life hell. So, if you like someone...take your happiness and run! :)

I duno, there'd want to be some kind of instant magic connection or something, because I don't think so otherwise. It'd be hard enough trying to support someone if it's a long standing established relationship. It sounds romantic but then every day life kicks in and I can only imagine it would be hard, hard, hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

If it was terminal probably not, but something that can be managed through meds etc, then yes!

But then again it would be pretty bad of me to say no seeing as I can get pretty ill at times.

Thing is, if you say no to dating someone that is sick, what would you do if they were diagnosed with something while you were together? There is so much more to a person then their health

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

happened to my friend, when their fiancee found out they had terminal brain cancer they couldnt handle it and fled. It was so so hard to watch as the various milestones were hit, as in when the date when they would have been married.
    As said no one wants to die alone, I couldn't hand on heart say I would or wouldn't, very hard to know until u are in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dom84

I have dated someone with a serious illness. Ultimately it didn't wok out but the illness wasn't a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

'Yes' is the noble answer, and on paper of course none of us know how much time we have left with our loved ones, illness or no illness, and sayings such as "better to have loved and lost" will invariably get rolled out. However in real life it's not always that easy to accept that you will never be able to make long term plans with this person, you may well spend a lot of your time being their carer, and you both have to be able to accept the inevitable outcome - an acceptance that, in my experience doesn't always happen.

If I were in a relationship with somebody who was terminally ill, I wouldn't walk away (not for that reason anyways), however, having spent a reasonable chunk of my life dealing with terminal illnesses that I didn't have any choice about, I don't think I would pursue a relationship with someone if I found out they had a terminal illness before getting involved with them. I'd be their friend, I'd be there for them, but I'd cut it off at that. And I certainly wouldn't judge anybody for holding back for the same reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

At the risk of coming across as a horrible bastard, unless there was a real and irresistible attraction, my reaction to the person's honest and brave admission would probably be to think to myself that 'I don't need this.'

Horrible, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If I was in love with them, absolutely. You can't help who you fall in love with.

If it was just a passing interest, then probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My husband and I were talking about this recently. I'd imagine even just going out with someone with a serious but non fatal illness must be very hard.

I have been quite ill over the last few months and have only just rejoined the world again in the last 2 or 3 weeks. My husband was saying yesterday how much he had missed me while I was sick and how good it was to have me back because that's how it felt for him. - I was here physically but emotionally and mentally I was gone.

I could see how that would put a huge strain on a relationship if you were in the early stages. It would be tough to come through it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement