Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

workplace violence.

• 14-12-2014 1:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

It occurred to me today that violence in the workplace is more often reported in foreign media than here in little old Ireland, is it the case that it is less prevalent here or just under-reported.

Certainly we hear of street violence and domestic violence, and workplace sexual harassment but separately is workplace physical violence and threats of violence remaining hidden.

Ive read in foreign media about it,(sous-chefs getting clattered by the chef in France, maids being beaten in Qatar) but never seen much about it in Irish media.

But surely it exists.
    Have you been on either end of the workplace violence.
    Has your boss thumped you in the back of the head for being late.
    Have you kicked you boss up the hole in response to a request for overtime.

For example - I once met a slightly unhinged fellow who broke his bosses nose near the end of his last day.

Anyone with any genuine tales of such workplace shenanigans, do tell.

(bouncers and other professional arsekickers excluded of course - workplace violence is kind of a given in that role).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I'm a dominatrix, I experience workplace violence daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I'm a dominatrix, I experience workplace violence daily.

A sheep tying people up to just to get off......

I've heard everything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Where's the poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

It occurred to me today that violence in the workplace is more often reported in foreign media than here in little old Ireland, is it the case that it is less prevalent here or just under-reported.
    What kind of workplace violence would be reported in foreign media? Maids and other migrant workers being treated appallingly in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE is not par for the course here (not denying it might happen though) - it's noteworthy when it happens because of the sheer human rights abuse this constitutes.
    Workplace violence is doubtfully a regular occurrence here, seeing as the employee would have grounds to get asses fired.

I knew of a chef years ago all right who brandished a knife at another staff member - chef was out on his ear instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I seen 2 polish co-workers have a digging match over the other being ****e at his job.

We work nights and one was fed up taking the slack.

There was no mangers there, so after all was done they got back to silent work and it was never reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've given myself a few electric shocks , dunno if thats violence or stupidity.

The worst shock involved me stripping a live cable and touching the non insulated part of the pliers at the same time. I got a shock , a burn and fell of a ladder in one go.

Also an apprentice I was working with, hit a chargehand with a hammer in front of me .The damage a hammer can do to a head .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I've given myself a few electric shocks , dunno if thats violence or stupidity.

The worst shock involved me stripping a live cable and touching the non insulated part of the pliers at the same time. I got a shock , a burn and fell of a ladder in one go.

Also an apprentice I was working with, hit a chargehand with a hammer in front of me .The damage a hammer can do to a head .

:eek: now thats some workplace violence.

probably should go in the workplace attempted murder thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Years and years ago working in a petrol garage, a newbie working the till had a dispute with a middle aged woman over something or other. She stormed off in a huff, he picked up the choc ice she left on the counter and dinged her on the back of the head right before she got to the door. The way he threw it as well, it was like a ninja throwing one of those throwing stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I don't think it's prevalent here. i think we've gotten a bit too American in Ireland..and if we said boo to each other we'd get sued.
    I think verbal abuse is more common that violence, without a doubt. things are often said "jokingly" but as my mam says, half coding, whole in earnest. People can get away with it more if its said..whereas if you hit someone..you obviously wont get away with that too handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yurt! wrote: »
    Years and years ago working in a petrol garage, a newbie working the till had a dispute with a middle aged woman over something or other. She stormed off in a huff, he picked up the choc ice she left on the counter and dinged her on the back of the head right before she got to the door. The way he threw it as well, it was like a ninja throwing one of those throwing stars.

Hahaha worked in topaz for a few months before in a rough area of limerick. Have told some lads to piss off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's more of a mental thing in ireland. The ***** will grind you down mentally. Irish bosses are the worst in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I organise a fight club, you see the first rule is..oh shi....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Highly unlikely as you'd basically find the employer being sued from here to hell and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's more of a mental thing in ireland. The ***** will grind you down mentally. Irish bosses are the worst in the world.

Sigh.

Never seen or heard of workplace violence in Ireland. Really doubt it's common in any 'legal' workplaces. The amount of money that could be earned by the worker assaulted, we would've heard about it by now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I worked with a foreign illegal who threatened to follow me home, break my neck and 'fcking kill me'. Nothing was done about it.

Sigh.

Never seen or heard of workplace violence in Ireland. Really doubt it's common in any 'legal' workplaces. The amount of money that could be earned by the worker assaulted, we would've heard about it by now.

I never mentioned physical violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I spit roasted an Eastern European female colleague with a fellow colleague. Does that count? Kinky bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ho ho!

I spit roasted an Eastern European female colleague with a fellow colleague. Does that count? Kinky bitch.

Did you make eye contact during.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Years ago a guy I worked with came up to me waving a knife and asked me "what would you do if I attacked you with this?"
    I replied "This" and head butted him into the nose!

Oddly enough,he never asked me again!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yurt! wrote: »

Could have killed her if it was a Magnum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Could have killed her if it was a Magnum

"You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Ohhh you mean a different sort of Magnum! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Not work place violence in the sense of my boss decking me, or me decking my boss, but my shop is in such a location I've been assaulted by 'customers' more than once, had eggs thrown at me, all sorts. I believe one of my colleagues kicked the ****e out of another a while back for doing something with his girlfriend, but I didn't see it happen so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I worked in hotels in the late 1980s, early 90s in Dublin and there were always fights going on!! A few examples stand out

......two chefs started fighting and it ended when one was trying to push the others head into a deepfat fryer, only to get clobbered by a roll of tinfoil the other guy managed to grab and swing at the last minute.

.....the KP who smacked a waiter with a heavy based frying pan for slagging him off just once too often.

....the waiter who made a derogatory remark about a female commis chef without realising one of the other chefs was going out with her - he hopped the hotplate and chased him through the restaurant and lobby with a cleaver

.....the guest who propositioned a waitress and had a pot of hot coffee dumped in his lap in response (there was a huge payout for that one)

and my own favourite......

....the commis chef who back answered the executive chef and had a pot of hot tea flung at him - luckily I turned and it hit my back instead of my head :D

Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I've been hit, kicked ,bitten,screamed at, scratched,puked on and weeed on at work .....still love my job though. Pre-school kids are great fun most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The closest I've come to workplace violence was when I was teenager working in a supermarket and the general manager dragged me through the store by the arm.

It was my first job so I did nothing about it but he wouldn't have gotten away with it now. I actually regret not standing up to myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I was teaching, a number of colleagues in my school were assaulted by some of the charmers that attend our schools. Nothing was done of course - they weren't even expelled.

A teacher was stabbed in a neighbouring school - that also went unreported to the guards. Many incidents are hushed up, for fear of damaging public image of schools. Dog eat dog when it comes to getting punters in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Nah, only regular meltdowns and strops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I worked in a large multinational and over a month of night shifts it wasn't unusual for tempers to flare.
    Over 13 years I saw maybe half a dozen bouts of fists, wrestling and lads being hit with stuff with proper anger Across the whole factory it would happen weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I work from home. My cat lives in my office. She scrapes with her claws and draws blood sometimes. Shes pretty violent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I never mentioned physical violence.

Yes but what exactly makes Irish bosses the worst in the world? I mean that's such a sweeping generalisation and there's no evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Last job I worked in 2 lads sorted things out with a few slaps, it was over in a few minutes and we all got back to work, what happens on the floor stays there no need to be a rat and go reporting things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Last job I worked in 2 lads sorted things out with a few slaps, it was over in a few minutes and we all got back to work, what happens on the floor stays there no need to be a rat and go reporting things.

That's got to be the most dickish thing I've ever heard, do you work in a nightclub? If I was assulted in work (or anywhere) I'd be pressing charges without question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

pharmaton wrote: »
    That's got to be the most dickish thing I've ever heard, do you work in a nightclub? If I was assulted in work (or anywhere) I'd be pressing charges without question

No.

Well it was up to the 2 involved if they wanted to report it, nothing to do with me I wasn't going to go running back telling what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pharmaton wrote: »

nothing wrong with two bucks sorting out a problem with a good dust up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Agreed. As long as both are willing participants, no weapons, no fighting after the fight is over....it seems fine to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

No problems boss, I expect down on the site that's how problems are resolved but in civilized society we have laws to see that violence isn't used as a way of "fixing" things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Well I can't agree or disagree when I'm not aware of all the other bosses in the world, but I'd say American bosses are up there too.
    Well no because it's not violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Jawgap wrote: »
    I worked in hotels in the late 1980s, early 90s in Dublin and there were always fights going on!! A few examples stand out

......two chefs started fighting and it ended when one was trying to push the others head into a deepfat fryer, only to get clobbered by a roll of tinfoil the other guy managed to grab and swing at the last minute.

.....the KP who smacked a waiter with a heavy based frying pan for slagging him off just once too often.

....the waiter who made a derogatory remark about a female commis chef without realising one of the other chefs was going out with her - he hopped the hotplate and chased him through the restaurant and lobby with a cleaver

.....the guest who propositioned a waitress and had a pot of hot coffee dumped in his lap in response (there was a huge payout for that one)

and my own favourite......

....the commis chef who back answered the executive chef and had a pot of hot tea flung at him - luckily I turned and it hit my back instead of my head :D

Happy days :)

Catering does seem to attract hot-headed personalities, I'm getting visions of this Monty Python clip (@3:40) :D :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

porsche959 wrote: »
    Catering does seem to attract hot-headed personalities, I'm getting visions of this Monty Python clip (@3:40) :D :

It's the heat.......it drives people nuts!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I had a wooden mallet flung at me once in the storeroom. Luckily, I'd seen it coming so ducked just in time. The thrower claimed it had 'slipped'. He was a complete nutter though with a rotten temper. He kicked another colleague in the lower back and almost knocked them down a flight of stairs but passed it off as an 'accident'. He left suddenly after being accused of sexually-harassing a couple of female colleagues and we never heard from him again.

A different job featured a permanently-angry bloke who shouted abuse at everyone in the foulest language and would throw objects to get your attention, CD cases, floppy disks, pens, plastic trays etc. Eventually management had a chat with him and he "Left to pursue other interests" but not before sending a company-wide email listing all our (many, many, many) 'faults' and wishing bankruptcy and destitution on the lot of us for not being as brilliant as him.

Advertisement