Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Holyhead a nice place?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Llandudno - is very close (50mins in car - 20 euros by train) - and is very pleasant - piers, do the bobsled at the hotel and tour the roman mines.
    Dont know what its like in the winter.

http://www.greatorme.org.uk/tramway.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pcjwmUx-Jo

http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Holyhead/Llandudno-Junction

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Holyhead is a kip. Also to reiterate what someone said further up, you know it's bad when Bangor is being compared favourably. 'City' it ain't. Paddys is a bit of a laugh at times to be fair, home of the triple vodka for three pounds.

But I'd say go to Chester/LLandudno if you're looking for a nice break.

Do bear in mind that ferrys are chronic around this time of year in terms of delays/cancellations (or maybe I just have bad luck).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

It's name is about the only cool thing it has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

K4t wrote: »
    No idea, but I doubt they sit around on internet forums making fun of people or places in Ireland, which might make them somewhat interesting.

lol well you've obviously never been there.

While interrailing we were on the way home and found ourselves waiting 8 hours for a boat at Holyhead. Plan was to go to a pub, get pissed etc. to pass the time. Walk up a soulless waste ground of a Main Street and decide that the two pubs were not the most appealing. Then we wander around to discover this sort of Lidl ( wasn't Lidl but was very similar), but it was like a cheap Lidl. We buy cans and a ****ty, portable tent. On the way out we decide that it is not worth setting up the tent for 7 hours so stroll back to the port to wait for our ferry. Pass a McDonalds on the way but not before being circled by boy racers on two separate occasions. To summarise; I'd rather be a police-hating black dude in the U.S. than return to that Sainsburys buying, soulless kip. Anyone who praises Holyhead is part of the gutter class the inhabit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Holyhead is like Dun Laoghaire.

Nothing There.

WONDER WHY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some ferry companies give the option of purchasing a rail ticket as part of the fare. I think you can go as far as Chester in England which is a beautiful little city.

Another option would be to take an Arriva local bus out to Bangor which is also nice. Nothing in Holyhead worth seeing, only a few dingy pubs with big gurriers in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Yamanoto wrote: »

That's both tragic and hilarious in equal measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

policarp wrote: »
    Holyhead is like Dun Laoghaire.

Nothing There.

WONDER WHY?
    Ah here now Dun Laoghaire is better than fcuking Holyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. Dun Laoghaire is a truckload better than Holyhead. Just because they are both port towns, doesn't make them remotely comparable. In DL, you can go for a walk along either of the piers, or walk down to Sandycove. There are some great restaurants in the area & even more are just a stones throw away in Monkstown. There is the shopping centre (ok, so Dundrum it ain't, but at least it is there) & a nice hotel to kill time in if you are waiting for a ferry. You can jump on the Dart and be in Dalkey/Kiliney etc in 5 minutes. There is eff all to do or see in HH and unless you have a car, you are staying put there, as there is eff all public transport, of the kind that DL has.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

somefeen wrote: »
    "I suppose I could have another look around lidl...." :(

They refuse to take irish bank cards for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

The wee chipshop just up to the left before you go down into the port used to do great fish, don't know if it's still there or not.

That was about 20 years ago, but it did have great fish and chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Holyhead is officially twinned with a mud flat in Siberia (or Greystones to be exact)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I wonder if there's a thread on the Welsh version of boards asking ''Is Dun Laoghaire a nice place" and they're all laughing at the sound of the name of it even though saying most of their towns' names sounds like a group of people having a coughing fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a perfect place to kill a few drunken hours waiting for the second half of a booze cruise

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Holyhead itself is a kip, as other have said, but the rest of Anglesey is actually quite nice, well along the coast anyway, I can't speak about the inland part. There's a coastal walk that'll take you about 10 days to complete if your'e into that sort if thing (I am!)

If you're just temporarily stranded there and need to waste a few hours before the ferry, Trearddur Bay, only 5 mins drive to the south has a decent enough beach and a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Thanks to Maggie thatcher.:pac:

The Welsh were obnoxious before the blessed Margaret came to power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Generally speaking its a sh*thole.

But I did have a great time there one summer, found a few nice bars and decent pub grub.

But I'd never wish to go back, esp in winter when its esp. bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hahahahahahaha.

It's one of the most depressing places on earth. And the locals are all really wierd and bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Whosthis wrote: »
    Looks like right craic http://patricksbar.com/

An Irish pub by name only...ask them to put on a GAA game and they'll look at you like you've 2 heads.

Only good on St Patrick's day when they turn up the 'Oirish' to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Ah here now Dun Laoghaire is better than fcuking Holyhead

There is a Tiger in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There is eff all to do or see in HH and unless you have a car, you are staying put there, as there is eff all public transport, of the kind that DL has.
    There actually is a pretty decent bus service in and around Anglesey, I've used it. See http://www.anglesey.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/public-transport/bus-or-coach/local-bus-timetables/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's no Llandudno Junction, but then, what is?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Oh the memories of the abortion clinics waiting room, those were happy times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And I believe you guys in Dun Laoghaire have a smashing new library?
    Even Stranrear is better than Hollyhead.
    Once had a 10 hour wait in Stranraer, chanced a local pub. It was quite literally someone's house, with a tiny bar in the corner of the living room. Full of drunk pensioners in clothes designed for a teenager. The floorshow started when a blind drunk lad, who you would suspect was severely intellectually disabled , came down the stairs and got stuck behind the front door. He could not comprehend that you had to "pull" the door to make it work.
    Two pints of yellow fizzy piss, described as "beer" and got out before the tense mood got ugly. Happy to sleep in the jeep till ferry loading time (2am)

Even that was better than HH.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Ah feck it, ill go anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

there is a cafe on the main street that does a full irish for a fiver

well worth a visit on your first Holyhead adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No, it's an absolute dive, comparable to Bray (and I'm from Bray).

Only good thing about the place is the ferry and train station to get you away. Though God forbid if you miss the connecting train and have to potter around there for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

deco nate wrote: »
    That was about 20 years ago, but it did have great fish and chips!

Was going to say **** off I'm not that old but it's about fifteen years since I was there alright. :o

Advertisement