Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Holyhead a nice place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

i am from Holyhead and let me tell you, being from Holyhead is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any race. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, Holyhead parents are one of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off. suck my dick op suck my dick.

Ha, the op's the only person in this thread who hasn't said a bad word about holyhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

i am from Holyhead and let me tell you, being from Holyhead is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any race. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, Holyhead parents are one of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off. suck my dick op suck my dick.

Anybody else reading this to a banjo soundtrack?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

"they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off"

This sounds like the butthurt outpouring of a 12 yr old boy who has just been challenged with "my da is better than yours"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

we have beautiful people and we have ugly people.
    as long as your not a selfish ****head

That could be said for any town, anywhere in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭Tow

Thanks to Maggie thatcher.:pac:

Hollyhead has improved since her days of power. I remember being there during the miners strike. The place was in a deep recession, with almost all the shops boarded up. I believe the local Woolies has closed in recent years, it was always the highlight of any visit!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Well that's me sold, I'm packing up and heading off to Holyhead to start a new life. Got my eye on this little beaut too http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49172501.html

not to mention the natives seem like a friendly intimate bunch with a lot of dick sucking opportunities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What's with all the Dun Laoghaire hatred?
    It's lovely - what the fúck are you all used to, Beverly Hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

Holyhead is definitely the biggest kip i've been in, we were waiting for our ferry there before and having a couple of pints in a small pub somewhere, it had a beer, jukebox and a pool table so we were happy out, then two lads came in(locals) and we beat them a few times in the pool, they ended up chasing us around holyhead for about an hour!! absolute knackers, one of them had tattoos for eyebrows and told us he was "just out" and i don't mean in the gay way!!! enough said . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I've had a few jars in the pub adjacent to the ferryport to pass the time.

It's called, for some bizarre reason, the Edinburgh Castle.

Once you've outstayed your welcome in the Edinburgh Castle I recommend trying "The Boston", just the other side of Lidl. It's a pleasant place with friendly welcoming people who definitely won't stare at you or talk loudly about you in front of your face or try and intimidate you into leaving...

You'd think being 3 minutes walk from a ferryport they would be used to foreigners coming in for a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ha, the op's the only person in this thread who hasn't said a bad word about holyhead.
    That's why he got the friendly invitation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They could make the new Fallout game based on Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Because ive no idea.... maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't think there's a ferryport town in the history of anything that wasn't a dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Don't think there's a ferryport town in the history of anything that wasn't a dump.

Zeebrugger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I found that the locals over to be a mixed bag,we went to a small little bar a few years back on a day trip.Think it was called the prince of Wales but I might be wrong(the upstairs room had two pool tables if we have any Holyhead boardsies),the bar was too small to accommodate our group, no problem.They opened the upstairs room solely for our crew fair dues we thought.It was a husband and wife set up and every ten minutes or so the lady was up and down the stairs,at one stage she arrived up with a large plate of sandwiches,free of charge. A really nice touch.On the other side of things, a group of 20 or more us went for the day on another occasion, as the group was so large we had split up into groups of 5 or 6, but kept in phone contact throughout the day.A gang of lads,in two Muppet mobiles attacked three of my friends with wheel braces outside that little chipper that backwards man mentioned,big mistake on their part,As the rest of us were walking in staggered groups towards the port,it wasn't long before we stumbled on the scene. The muppets were soon outnumbered, by us.Big men,attacking three lads for no reason. They didnt figure on 20 boozed up Finglas and cabra heads,well practised in the art of smashing heads showing up.They got lashed out of it,and proper order too.When we got to the ferry, the cops were out in force waiting for us.They arrested as many of us as they could fit in the vans,they took all our money,battered us and slapped us with 2 year exclusion orders.Ive never been back to that cesspit since.

i wouldn't worry, the exclusion orders are a waste of time and failure. go back if you like all though i wouldn't blame you for not. a lot of trash in the police over there TBH. probably took you're money for their drink

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Thanks to Maggie thatcher.

well, its not the only place Maggie thatcher burn and rot in hell destroyed during her rein of terror.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Holyhead personified...

i wouldn't worry, the exclusion orders are a waste of time and failure. go back if you like all though i wouldn't blame you for not. a lot of trash in the police over there TBH. probably took you're money for their drink
    Long since expired, won't be back though.If that's how the police treat people bringing hundreds of grand into the stagnant local economy every bank holiday they can go fck themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cherbourg and St.Malo are nice.

But yes, Holyhead has a special quality all its own, like a mouth of hell itself.

• Advertisement

Larne can be quite nice....

If you happen to be keen on sectarian bigotry,rangers fc,poor quality heroin and bonfires :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I know I sound like an advert for the Welsh Tourist Board, but as I said above this is literally only a few minutes drive away ...

158bjgw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dante2015

the 3 best things to come out of wales catherine zeta jones, me, the ferry to dublin :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

dante2015 wrote: »
    the 3 best things to come out of wales catherine zeta jones, me, the ferry to dublin :-)

wrong wrong wrong

ferry to cork was all the the whole principality had going for it, now thats gone the whole place is ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Go to Chester, a place I know very well (used to live there for a year and a bit)!

I AGREE ,I think they also do trips to Chester where you stay overnight .Nice place .In summer there are some great beaches in North Wales ,such as Colwin Bay ,where i used go from Dublin as a child .

dont go to colwyn bay its just as bad as holyhead trust me i lived there for 23 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Dawn French was born in Holyhead.

There's no statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Its like Dolphins Barn on Dublins southside, only worse. Which is quite a feat

emm go fudge ursmelf ;-)

Dawn French was born in Holyhead.

There's no statue.

They should, they could open up one of the mines again for the vast amount of material needed :pac:

dante2015 wrote: »
    dont go to colwyn bay its just as bad as holyhead trust me i lived there for 23 years

You spelt it correctly so i believe you .lol

anto9 wrote: »
    You spelt it correctly so i believe you .lol

Rhos on sea and Llandudno are quite nice though

Cant believe i just said that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

You could rent a car over there and head to Manchester, about 2 hours drive.visit the theatre of dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Been to Holyhead loads of times.........passing through!! Although I did stay there one night, had a good session in the pubs and a good B&B. As another poster said, Chester, great city, or go to Betws-y-Coed, small town in Snowdonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Holyhead is a beautiful place with really nice architecture. Would strong recommend spending Christmas there. some smashing little pubs & eateries.

rafatoni wrote: »
    Holyhead is a beautiful place with really nice architecture. Would strong recommend spending Christmas there. some smashing little pubs & eateries.

Go home your drunk lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Planned to spend a day in Holyhead when coming back from a few days driving in England/Wales. Found one rotten cafe that we walked in and out of just as quickly. Myself and my lady were shocked at how horrible this place was. Weird people, weird place, sh*thole.

Spent 6 hours sitting in the car trying to sleep as there was nowt to do.

Never again.

anto9 wrote: »
    I AGREE ,I think they also do trips to Chester where you stay overnight .Nice place .In summer there are some great beaches in North Wales ,such as Colwin Bay ,where i used go from Dublin as a child .

Chester is a lovely spot.But if they're playing Wrexham at home you'd be better off staying away boyo!(spoken in attempted welsh accent :pac: )

Myself and my lady.....
    Spent 6 hours sitting in the car trying to sleep as there was nowt to do.

Never again.

Google 'sex' its great fun altogether...

rafatoni wrote: »

Your having a laugh .lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

There you go OP, get the ferry over and if you get bored you can suck yer mans knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It dismays me when people dismiss a place on the grounds of having had a few negative experiences there.

Sometimes, behind the shabby façade of a run-down town there can be a vibrant local community, with interesting characters that will introduce you to some fascinating local history and help you discover hidden charms, which will be well worth the effort.

However, Holyhead is most definitely not one of those places and should be avoided at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Was stuck for 12 hours there a few months ago. Went to an internet cafe, its called the internet cafe(very IT crowd). You had to pay to use the wifi, must be the only place in UK where you have to pay for wifi on your own computer. The staff were very nice but I would avoid eating there.

People in Holyhead are nice but I felt like slitting my wrists after 12 hours there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Cherbourgs alright at least it has that underwater museum next to the ferry port.

I reckon the worst one of all though is actually Ringaskiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Been to Holyhead loads of times.........passing through!! Although I did stay there one night, had a good session in the pubs and a good B&B. As another poster said, Chester, great city, or go to Betws-y-Coed, small town in Snowdonia.

Ah now don't be derailing the thread;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are towns that are quite nice, that also have ports, but the port area itself, regardless of how nice the town is, is always a ****hole.

The other thing that gets me about ferry ports is that they all look as if someone, once upon a time, possibly when they were first built, put some thought into the layout and flow of the places. But then over time, they seem to evolve into the most convoluted, inefficient mess imaginable, with road markings that make no sense and random movable barriers all over the place. No wonder they need so many people in high vis jacket around to direct the poor unsuspecting motorists around this maze to get to the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Arrived into Hollyhead by ferry with some mates on the Friday of a weekend of bad weather in October 2000 and discovered the train leaving it was cancelled. Put it this way, we didn't even think of over-nighting, hired a taxi to take the four of us to Chester that same night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You had to pay to use the wifi, must be the only place in UK where you have to pay for wifi on your own computer..

Most hotels and airports charge for WiFi these days....as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I dunno...I took a ferry over and I had a blast. My wife and I took a taxi to some lighthouse. Probably spent 45 minutes walking out to it - it was pretty scenic, if you're into that sort of thing.

We hiked back to the port - they had some great trails. We got to the top of some peak and took some pictures. Then continued on our way. Grabbed lunch and had a drink...then caught the ferry home.

As far as day trips go, it was great. No idea why everyone seems to dislike Holyhead. I dunno if I'd want to live there, but it seemed like a fine place to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Zeebrugger

Roscoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

I was thinking of going there on these Stena Line Christmas deals..

You could go from Rosslare to Pembrook and head to Tenby if yoou would prefer. It is like Wales' answer to Courtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ah feck it, ill go anyhow :)

Tell me, what sold it?

Advertisement