Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

Star Lord wrote: »
    If it's just two gamecubes, then a router isn't needed, just a crossover cable.

I have a crossover cable I bring if needs be. It'd about 1.5 metres I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

What do you plug the cable into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You plug each end of the crossover cable into the LAN adapter for the Gamecube. As it's a crossover cable, it doesn't need a router, it allows them to communicate directly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fingers crossed it'll all work!

Your post had not mention of the adapters, I thought you had found some other magical way of connecting them.

I assumed adapters if they were to be networked! I was just pointing out if it's not more than 2 gamecubes being networked together, then a router isn't required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr Rex nee Fudge is bringing the two needed adapters.
    If anyone has any other ideas of what might work well on a link up speak up.
    Actually, what about Saturn Bomberman?
    I have a couple of controllers, no multitap though, if someone wants to bring one along that's be perfect.
    Not sure I have anything other than a scart cable for the Saturn though, not sure how this will hook up to the projector or speakers , more research!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Mr Rex nee Fudge is bringing the two needed adapters.
    If anyone has any other ideas of what might work well on a link up speak up.
    Actually, what about Saturn Bomberman?
    I have a couple of controllers, no multitap though, if someone wants to bring one along that's be perfect.
    Not sure I have anything other than a scart cable for the Saturn though, not sure how this will hook up to the projector or speakers , more research!

I played Super Monkey Ball on a projector before and it went down well, no link up though:(

Again, not a link up, but the Wii VC version of Bomberman '93 is always a multiplayer treat too. Never played the Saturn Bomberman game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well we had trouble before when we thought we had a crossover cable and only had Ethernet cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

There's Hudson's console of the choice, the PC Engine for Bomberman.

How many TG16 controllers do we have? I have one and a multi-tap.

I've the console and the Turbo Everdrive (non dog eaten edition) but only one controller as well:(
    I do have a Wii and a colorful array of controllers though!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well we had trouble before when we thought we had a crossover cable and only had Ethernet cables.

Easiest way to check is to compare the wiring in the connectors on both ends, if they've got the same cable pattern on each end, it's ethernet, if they're different, it's crossover.
    http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/$CXIV/ATTACH-AEEE-9HJQHG/$FILE/figure1PNG.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I assumed adapters if they were to be networked! I was just pointing out if it's not more than 2 gamecubes being networked together, then a router isn't required.

The Cube will do DHCP by itself or will we have to address manually? That could be a bit of a pain in the rollocks.

I don't believe any addressing is necessary. AFAIK, you simply connect up, power up, select LAN play, and play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Only a fairly recent poster on here but been a good ol' fashioned stalker for some time! I've been away for all the last few beers but would love to go the beers tomorrow if at all possible!

Donatron wrote: »
    Only a fairly recent poster on here but been a good ol' fashioned stalker for some time! I've been away for all the last few beers but would love to go the beers tomorrow if at all possible!

Come along
    I'm based on the Rathbeale road, 3 miles outside Swords in North co Dublin
    If you make it as far as Kettles Country House you're almost here!
    I'll pm you my number for help when you get that far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Come along
    I'm based on the Rathbeale road, 3 miles outside Swords in North co Dublin
    If you make it as far as Kettles Country House you're almost here!
    I'll pm you my number for help when you get that far

Here's a picture to help find the house :D:D

a.baa-House-In-The-Middle-of-Nowhe.jpg

Steve SI wrote: »
    Here's a picture to help find the house :D:D

When you here the music you're getting close;)

Okie dokes, ill bring up the crossover cable and test it with my cheapo ethernet cable tester to make sure each wire is still lighting up.

Will i bring up the PS2 i.link cable too for ****s n'giggles?

You'd need 2 ps2 phats, not sure if any of the slims have the 1394 port.

If you had crts in close proximity people could do 2 player time crisis 2 or 3.

Going to PM our generous volunteer drivers now and exchange numbers and meet up locations just to get some bit organised.

• Advertisement

And just when i thought i had completely evaded it.....

jRougPi.jpg

This must be bad karma for the joke I'm about to unveil at the beers tomorrow!

Shall we record it at yours ciderman for the craic?

I was going to have a change of clothes in my bag with me anyway, even before i was nominated.

A lot of retrogamers are going to get nominated tomorrow let me tell ya! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

MrVestek wrote: »
    I could always borrow a spare gigabit switch from work or indeed bring my own from my own home setup.

The one at home is 8 port I believe so 7 ports will be usable. More than enough I think.

I have network gear Cider can borrow if needed, 8 or 24 port gig switch + cables

I'll be doing my own ice bucket thingy as well, deary deary me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Doge wrote: »
    A lot of retrogamers are going to get nominated tomorrow let me tell ya! :p
    I can't get wet
    e95b7ed8b9aa531bda15a7408ce431ea.jpg

Sera wrote: »
    I can't get wet
    e95b7ed8b9aa531bda15a7408ce431ea.jpg

TMI! :P

Round 2!
    Fight!

Gz87age.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I still have your other guncon thing too don't forget and your copy of Time Crisis 2. I'll make sure to pop them in the bag now as I'm on my way out the door.

Should probably have resized that image first! :p.

Have the gameclip with me for some emulation fun!

DGNnBp0.jpg

Perfect for the bus ride up, or for when ciderman designates me to the naughty corner at the beers! :(

MrVestek wrote: »
    I still have your other guncon thing too don't forget and your copy of Time Crisis 2. I'll make sure to pop them in the bag now as I'm on my way out the door.

Are you sure?

I'll take the game off you anyway just in case the guys in UCC go ahead with a retro meetup.

Not too fussed about the gun as I have 2.

Oh and guys I couldn't find the crossover cable in the rush this morning so bring your 128 port network switches, hubs, routers, cable modems or whatever you fancy! :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm bringing gal gun.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm bringing gal gun.

Let's keep the presence of children in mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Let's keep the presence of children in mind!

Set up an adults section, some beaded curtains, flashing light, trench coats etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any of you retro lads have any interest in an old CRT?

Free to take away in Balbriggan if you do, thought I'd put it here before adverts...

PM me if you do!

Fieldog wrote: »

Free to take away in Balbriggan if you do, thought I'd put it here before adverts...

You could try putting in the Arcade and Retro Marketplace too before adverts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Doge wrote: »
    Fieldog wrote: »

You could try putting in the Arcade and Retro Marketplace too before adverts

Cheers Doge,

Will do!

Set up an perverts section, some beaded curtains, flashing light, trench coats etc....
    FYP:)

I'll be arriving in the city about 3:30ish, if anyone wants to meet up PM me for my number.

I'll be going straight for lunch though a I haven't ate since early morning.

Anyone know anywhere I can eat a whole Horse on a spit? ;)

dat hunger!

So, can we say from 8 onwards for arrivals?
    Should be a blast!
    Just evicted the spiders from the gamesroom, they were not pleased and said they'd be back with a solicitor....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'll be heading once I've gotten some Doctor Who into me this evening so should be there for about 9.

If anyone else is coming from Coolock, then I can offer lifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Have a great night all

Sorry I have to miss it:(

Work has to come first though

Currently in the George. Some shapes were thrown on the dancefloor. #NoRegrets

Was the beers amazeballs? I bet it was. Some guy was grinding up against me in the George #NoHomo. And then when we were leaving there was 2 other guys giving me the glad eye apparantly. I think I'll go gay for a while I suppose.

On the way to work :(

But thanks to all for coming and it was great to see you all.
    I have a feeling 8 player outdoor Mario Kart DD is a summer pursuit, man did it get cold out there!

Thanks ciderdude for the great night as always. I now need to play NES Batman to cleanse myself of Dark Tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Huge thanks to the cidona household for being such great hosts, and thanks so much for the lovely food, loved the venue.

Big thanks also to Monkeykube also for getting me there and back.

It was great to meet yourself, StarLord, Banjo Guy Ollie, Donnatron and Ms. Dino Rex for the first time.

And speaking of Dino, thanks for the lovely cake.

Apart from the hilarious Batman gameplay the highlight of the night for me was playing 2 player split screen Virtua Racing on the Nomad!

We're truly blessed to have such a great group of people. <3

Thank you again Monsieur Cidré and family for putting up with us! Absolute gent. Nice to meet some of you again and to put some new faces to names! Outdoor 8 player double dash was pretty damn awesome too, even if we were partially blinded on some courses! :D

Batflipping to safety should be included in every batman game...

Sorry for the night ending at half two!
    I promise next time I'll be off the next day and will go back to drinking energy drinks for stamina!
    Batman on the GC is now on the banned list along with CDi games and Superman 64

Thanks for another great night out in the @rse end on nowhere, where else could you play dd outside on projectors. Must give it a go again next summer, for me the highlight of the night was Retro try to traverse the alley of death in Batman and grappling clouds in the sky and the final face plant before every death.
    It was a pleasure having DogsVest in the car for the journey, hope you slept in separate beds lads:rolleyes: Meeting new people and catching up with the regulars, see you all again soon.
    For those that weren't there I give you Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

Was great meeting all you guys and thanks again for hosting CiDeRmAn! You're collection is something to aspire to!

Now just have to erase those nightmares of a slowly pivoting mid-air batman..

• Advertisement
Advertisement